CarNet / Bluetooth Questions - Issues

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Hello, so earlier this week I was removing the foam box under my passenger seat to determine if I had a 9W7 or Bluetooth installed. (Plan on installing a RNS-510). I have a 2014 Passat SE with the RNS-315 installed. I was told it had built in Bluetooth, but still saw the foam box so I wanted to find out what was inside? Removing the foam cover I found the Car-Net module, and accidentally broke a cable in the process. After taking a few pictures, I re-installed the foam cover and started up the car. The navigation system, voice commands, Bluetooth, radio and everything work EXCEPT my Carnet light on the overhead panel switched to red? The call button still works, and my mobile app still updates with how many miles, fuel left in tank etc. HOWEVER, the parking position never updates ! So by a process of elimination I have determined that the cable I broke seems to be a GPS interlink with the Carnet module ? (just my guess) I don't plan on subscribing to Carnet, so I could care less if my Carnet location doesn't update.

Questions -
- Can anyone confirm this is the GPS cable ?
- Will this affect switching over to the RNS-510 ?
- Is the Bluetooth built in this box also ? The connection looks identical to a 9W7 port right ?
- Any idea if I can order just this cable ? Or the whole harness ?
- Hooking it back up looks to be virtually impossible as the cable is already extremely short already.

Notes -
- First 2 pictures are the Carnet Module, second two pictures are the cable I broke and where it was connected (black box marked China & VW)
- Also, I will have a VCDS cable available for use next week....

- Thanks for any input !

[/url]photo (4) by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]photo (3) by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]photo (2) by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]photo by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]

jadro

TDI
Passat 2014
Can anyone confirm this is the GPS cable ? No this is not GPS cable this is carnet antena cable
- Will this affect switching over to the RNS-510 ? No i have disconnect carnet and no problem
- Is the Bluetooth built in this box also ? The connection looks identical to a 9W7 port right ? No Bluetooth is in seperate box
- Any idea if I can order just this cable ? Or the whole harness ?If you don't want carnet answer is no You have RNS 315 and Bluetooth is integrated inRNS 315. When you remove RNS315 you have to buy 9W7 Only RNS510 and RCD 510 have separate 9W7 box

Last edited:

TDIEQNY

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I hate to be a pessimist, but why are you putting in the RNS-510 unit?

It's literally this biggest POS in the car.

Slow
Out-dated
horrible NAV
Horrible clarity
takes eons to boot
etc.etc.etc.

go aftermarket if you are going the route of taking the car apart.

my .02

jadro

TDI
Passat 2014
I hate to be a pessimist, but why are you putting in the RNS-510 unit?

It's literally this biggest POS in the car.

Slow
Out-dated
horrible NAV
Horrible clarity
takes eons to boot
etc.etc.etc.

go aftermarket if you are going the route of taking the car apart.

my .02
This not apply to version L

jadro

TDI
Passat 2014
3C0 035 684L- Latest 2014 release RNS-510. SSD Hard drive standard, factory firmware is 5378 with plenty of performance improvements due to implementation of Solid State Hard drive. All Version L units are manufactured starting end of November 2013. Version L is the fastest functioning RNS-510 manufactured to date. (For those that were complaining about lag on menus before, you can now forget the past). All Version L units will come with freshly minted 2014 Maps Database for all of USA/Canada/Mexico

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
No, worries - I want to go the RNS-510 route for several reasons, mainly so I can still have full MFD functions and original OEM looks. At this point, I'm so frustrated with the RNS-315 that I don't care if the RNS-510 is a little bit slower. If I went aftermarket, I would probably get a AVIC-7000 or 8000 NEX. I played around with a few at Cartoys / Autosound shops and they seemed to be the best. What have you looked at as far as aftermarket TDIEQNY ?

Last edited:

jadro

TDI
Passat 2014
No, worries - I want to go the RNS-510 route for several reasons, mainly so I can still have full MFD functions and original OEM looks. At this point, I'm so frustrated with the RNS-315 that I don't care if the RNS-510 is a little bit slower.
Buy L version

Airborne1cav

TDI
2014 TDI SE w/ Nav
Information gathered -

- 2014 VW's with Carnet DO NOT utilize a 9W7 for Bluetooth.
- 2014 VW's with Carnet DO NOT have a 9W7 underneath the passenger seat, this instead is a Carnet Module
- 2014 VW's with the RNS-315 DO NOT utilize "built in" Bluetooth

- If you have a RCD-310, RNS-315 or RNS-510 and your car is a 2014 with Carnet, your Bluetooth part # is 5N0035729A and is pictured below. (this is proven true for Jetta and Passat, others still need research completed)

-This is the module located behind the dash on the Jetta (still have to locate it's location in the dash on the Passat)

[/url]y3U4jo0l by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]smXkczEl (1) by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]Mq9X8fVl (1) by AustinB747, on Flickr[/IMG]

This information was compiled through several sources.
1) This post on TDICLUB of a member finding the module in his dash that matched with the VCDS scan part # - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=420678

2) A VWVortex member (that had a RCD-310 on a '14 Jetta SE), as well as myself (having a RNS-315 on a '14 Passat SE), and another TDICLUB member (that had a RNS-510 on a '14 Passat SEL) all having the same Part # for our Bluetooth's / module 77 in VCDS of - #5N0035729A.

-This report shows that the 2014 models with Carnet (Jetta and Passat for sure) use the Bluetooth Part #5N0035729A which is located in the dash. This will allow those with a RNS-315 to do a plug&play swap with a RNS-510 and not needing any extra equipment (besides a possible VCDS coding). Also, those with the RCD-310 will be able to swap in a RNS-315 or RNS-510 with just the addition of a GPS antenna.

Any questions, please ask or PM me. Also, I will be doing a RNS-315 to RNS-510 swap within the coming weeks. I will do a DIY with pictures / video for those who are also seeking this upgrade.