RMT200 Install in MkIV Double DIN

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The Premium VI double DIN radio in my 03 Jetta has done well, but I've been wanting to get something a little nicer that will take AUX inputs and such - especially since my antenna base is crap and I can't even reliably tune local stations, not to mention going on a road trip is lots of static. I've got about 1000+ miles to put on in the next few weeks and don't want to do it without good tunes, so I found the RMT200 for sale at www.deutscheautoparts.com and decided to give it a try with the associated adapter harnesses. It's an OEM VW Single DIN radio with Bluetooth, 3.5mm Aux Input, USB Port, SD Card Slot, A2DP Audio Streaming (whatever that is?). All of it showed up at my door for $325 including shipping - a little spendy in hindsight, but I do like an OEM solution as most all aftermarket radio's look gaudy and never seem to have a clean looking install.

The deutsche website implies that when you buy the adapter harnesses, that it's a plug and play install - not quite. In the end it's relatively simple but it took me a fair amount of work to figure this out because of VERY poor instructions included with the unit. I did a fair amount of looking on TDIClub, Vortex and any other place I could think of and didn't have much success, so I figured that I'd document what I did here so the next guy does not have to struggle through this like I did. I do not have steering wheel controls or a CD Changer or navigation, or phone, etc - just a radio so that's what the below applies to. You may need to go about this differently to integrate the other features if you have them.
This is the main harness adapter as it's comes in the box - plenty of loose wires to figure out where they need to go.

Here are the original instructions - I especially like the "Insert cable in the connector as shown in the instructions for the radio". These instructions for the radio are not included so you're left to guess.

The tan 8 pin connector for the speakers is done right - no changes needed, just plug it in
The black 8 pin connector for power, ignition, ground, etc was more confusing - It only comes with 3 wires in it but you'll need 5 when you're all done and have to move one. Here's the pinout and what should be connected to what.
1) No Connection
2) No Connection (came with Green with Grey stripe - Move to Pin 5)
3) No Connection
4) To switched power (typically ignition) - Solid Red Wire (long wire)
5) 12v Constant even with key off - Green with Grey stripe
6) To dash light dimmer switch - Grey with Blue stripe (long wire)
7) 12v Constant even with key off - Red with White stripe
8) Ground - Brown

The "Quadlock" connector is also relatively simple - one wire move. Pins 1-8 are the speaker connections and require no changes. Pins 9-16 require one wire move only - pinout below
9) No Connection
10) No Connection
11) No Connection (came with Green with Grey Stripe - Move to Pin 16)
12) Ground - Brown
13) No Connection
14) No Connection
15) 12v Constant even with key off - Red with White stripe
16) 12v Constant even with key off - Green with Grey stripe

In short, here's what you need to do.
1) Plug the fat red wire with white stripe into Pin 7 of the black connector
2) Plug the thin long red wire into Pin 4 of the black connector - Connect the other end to a switched power source (typically ignition)
3) Move both ends of the Green wire with Grey stripe
4) Connect the Grey wire with the Blue stripe to your dimmer circuit
That's it - power it up, press the >> button to get it to ask you for the security code (on the sticker on top of the RMT200), press the >> button again and you're off.
I'll get some in car pictures tomorrow when I finish the install - I'm putting a 42 Draft Designs 3 hole gauge panel in the gap (just what I need, more gauges :))
Funny side story in figuring all this out...They claim that this is plug and play in a single DIN MkIII, MkIV and B5 so I asked a co-worker who has a 98 Jetta to see if he'd allow me to pull his radio out, plug the RMT200 in just to see if it would work at all. Sure he says, hands me the keys and off I go thinking this should be quick and easy. I grab my radio lock keys, the RMT200 and sit down in his car. I slide the keys in each side, start to wiggle the radio out about 1/2" or so and reach up and put three fingers in the cassette slot and a thumb below to help pull the unit out of the dash, and the face plate of his radio literally explodes in my hand and there's buttons falling off, plastic breaking everywhere, etc :eek: He took it well, but I felt horrible and owe him a replacement at least, so if anyone knows where I can pick up a 1J0 035 180 single din radio for cheap, I'd appreciate any leads.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Isn't this a EUROPEAN radio? If so the FM frequency band is slightly different: North America uses a 0.2MHz wide spacing on 87.9MHz-107.9MHz, while Europe uses 0.1MHz for the spacing on 87.5MHz-108.0MHz. Thus you MIGHT pick up something other that an FM broadcast station on 87.5 & 87.7 MHz. Please let us know if you do so.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Never checked down that low (and my antenna base is crap so very poor reception anyway). If/when I replace the base, I'll report back on these frequencies.

Yes, it's a european radio.

I've been doing some digging on terminal removal tools since that was the 2nd most time consuming part of the job. I tried safety pins with no luck, ended up cutting a medium size zip tie the long way and using the two ends to push the tabs in and get the wires out. Tedious for sure.

I've found many options -

TDI Club Vendor Dave @ OttoStadt $50 + Shipping for the two most common tools

I found several other options at amazon

Wilmar 23pc kit for $96.99 shipped free with Prime

Lisle 56500 for $9.10 shipped free with Prime Should do both large and small VW terminals

Lisle 57750 3pc terminal release kit (includes 56500 and 2 others) for $33.92 shipped free with Prime

Not sure which one(s) I'll get, but leaning toward the 57750 kit

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Cool, looks good! Wish this was around when I was buying a radio for my 00 Golf.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Isn't this a EUROPEAN radio? If so the FM frequency band is slightly different: North America uses a 0.2MHz wide spacing on 87.9MHz-107.9MHz, while Europe uses 0.1MHz for the spacing on 87.5MHz-108.0MHz. Thus you MIGHT pick up something other that an FM broadcast station on 87.5 & 87.7 MHz. Please let us know if you do so.
European AM is different too.

Edit, I have a spare 1j0 035 180AV radio with the SAFE code for $40 shipped.

Last edited:

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I had started a related thread in the MKIV forum and someone linked in the radio
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419999

Fix_Until_Broke, would love to hear more about your radio.

What do you think of that display? is it easy to read in daylight? do you mind it not having the blue backlight?

I plan to use it for playing audiobooks so one important but easy to overlook feature is that is must save the place of an mp3 file when the power is killed.

would appreciate any notes you may have. How do you use yours?

I am considering this European radio, or aftermarket interface for my original OEM or other OEM radios with the USB feature. it will be a tough choice.

thanks!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The display is easy to read in daylight even with my polarized sunglasses - I have to turn my head almost 60 degrees before the display goes black with them on. The non-blue backlight is not a big deal for me, it's technically not matching the rest of the dash, but it fits with my other gauges that have white backlighting.

I have my music on a USB key that I just leave plugged into the USB port. It picks up where you left off so no problem there.

I looked at the Denison adapter which is likely the easiest/most cost effective option, but I wanted to try something different and have the room for extra gauges or storage cubby.

The buttons are a little small compared to the Double Din, but not bad. After a few weeks it's getting relatively easy to find the buttons without looking. The USB key makes a good reference location to find the 4 buttons right above it.

Minor dislikes

1) Startup Time is relatively long - 5-7 seconds from key on to sound out

2) No more speed sensitive volume - I almost forgot about this, but I do really miss it, particularly in a car that's a bit noisy like mine.

3) Radio turns off with the ignition - I need to find the circuit that stays powered until you remove the key from the ignition so the radio stays on until I remove the key from the ignition. I was frustrated that my 13 Passat didn't do this and have not taken the time to figure out how to make this one do it.

4) I also have not taken the time to connect the dimmer wire to the dimmer circuit so it's full bright all the time. Not a big deal at night since my knee blocks the display more/less, but something I'd like to take care of. I don't know if the display will dim or if it's just the little red lights on the buttons/knob that dim. When I applied power to the dimmer wire, only the little red lights lit up so I'm not holding out hope that the display will dim with the dimmer.

I like most everything else about it, bluetooth is easy, USB is clean - just plug it in and it finds all the music - buttons/menu are relatively clean & easy to use.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Fix' thanks for the fast reply. I had not thought about the polarized lenses of my sunglasses. maybe that has been the trouble with my other display?

I did not know that these radios had speed sensitive volume. Guess it must have been pretty fine-tuned but also I have had an aftermarket radio for several years now so the stock unit is a distant memory.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
An update after a few months - Generally I still like it. I moved it to the top of the hole and put the gauges on the bottom so the volume knob is roughly in the same location as the double din radio.

I have not done anything with the dimmer or having the radio stay on until the key is removed.

The volume knob is suddenly a bit hard to turn. I'm used to just being able to touch the perimeter with my finger and roll the volume up/down, but now have to actually pinch it with thumb and forefinger to turn it. It's not hard to turn by any means, just a little more resistance than there was before so that I can't turn it with one finger. Not sure if there's a bearing in there getting bound up a little or if it's just the cold weather or what it is exactly.

I exclusively listen to MP3's from my USB thumb drive on random setting (have not fixed my antenna base yet). After a month or so, the random setting repeats the same song too frequently. I have a ~30 minute commute each way and it was repeating the same song on the way to work and the way home. It took a while to notice this, but as time went on, it got worse and worse - when I heard the same song on the 30 minute drove to work it was getting annoying. I removed the thumb drive and re-inserted it and it seemed to clear it's short term memory and go to a more random mix of the songs. I have ~650 songs on the drive and nothing else.

k0mpresd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 bew, 2011 2l cr
thanks for this. helped me tons trying to figure out why this thing wasnt powering up in a mk4 double din.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've finally taken some time to figure out what it seems like some of my music is missing...Seems like this unit is limited to 120 folders/999 files, both of which I have more than that of :(. Seems strange to be able to use 32 GB, but only 120 folders/999 files. That's more like 3GB of data.

The weird thing is that it does not cutoff the first or last ones or the newest or oldest - I still have 38 Special and ZZ Top, I still have new music and old - it seems to randomly not see folders/files in the middle and it will change as it re-loads the media which makes it more difficult to figure out.

Not the end of the world, but I'm disappointed with myself. I could have bought one of the $60 adapter units and ended up with the same thing :( and retained my speed sensitive volume control. It's my own fault for not reading the owners manual thoroughly before purchasing, I saw the 32GB and overlooked the rest.

Any recommendations on a good MP3 player? I really just want it to go through my playlist at random and otherwise be transparent. I've got a SanDisk Sansa Clip that does a good job at randomizing the songs (and it plays all of them!), but the screen is so small and I'd have to run both USB and Aux cables to/from the head unit and then turn it on/off when I get out of the car, etc.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Good Evening,

I am attempting to install the RMT200 I just received today. Unfortunately I cannot get it to power on. I am installing it in my B4. Based on a2 resource, pin out looks identical with the exception of pin 1 being moved to pin 5 based on https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10122639-9999.pdf why did you use the quad lock? Where did you plug the quad lock side of the plug into? Do you think you could jot down a diagram of the pinout? I am also looking at the pin out in the pictures on this site. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-200-Tear-Down-and-Modding-Thread-40-Pictures

I can plug my original stereo in and it turns on. If I plug the RMT in and push the power button with the vehicle running or ignition switch in the accessory position, nothing happens.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Do you have power and ground in all the right places and the right times (ignition switch position) based on the below?
Do you have a known good, working unit?

I used the Quad Lock so I could easily swap my factory Double Din radio back in without any wiring changes.

The modifications by the BMW guy in the above thread were pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!!

The black 8 pin connector for power, ignition, ground, etc was more confusing - It only comes with 3 wires in it but you'll need 5 when you're all done and have to move one. Here's the pinout and what should be connected to what.
1) No Connection
3) No Connection
8) Ground - Brown

The "Quadlock" connector is also relatively simple - one wire move. Pins 1-8 are the speaker connections and require no changes. Pins 9-16 require one wire move only - pinout below
9) No Connection
10) No Connection
11) No Connection (came with Green with Grey Stripe - Move to Pin 16)
12) Ground - Brown
13) No Connection
14) No Connection
15) 12v Constant even with key off - Red with White stripe
16) 12v Constant even with key off - Green with Grey stripe

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Does the quad lock plug into the back of the radio or somewhere else?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I think (it was 6 years ago!) the quad lock plugs into the back of the original MkIV double din radio. The adapter harness that I purchased has connectors that plug into the back of the RMT200 on one end and receives the Quad Lock from the OEM harness on the other side.

This way I can just unplug the RMT200 and plug the OEM Double Din back in should I want to sometime in the future - no cutting/splicing of wires.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Yes, from above.
Fix Until Broke said:
1) No Connection
3) No Connection
8) Ground - Brown

vinogr

TDI
Skoda Octavia Tour
Good morning!

I have a little problem with my RMT 200. It is much louder in radio mode than playing mp3 from SD card or USB. I have to change the volume level every time I switch from card to radio and back. Does anyone has the same problem? Is there any solution?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Generally, yes I notice a similar thing. You can go into the equalizer settings and make the radio quieter, but it will make the others quieter as well.

The problem I have with it is that when on the radio, volume level 1 is practically off and volume level 2 is too loud - there needs to be 3-4 steps in between. If I turn the equalizer down it solves this problem, but doesn't get as loud (which is fine by me).

vinogr

TDI
Skoda Octavia Tour
Thank you! Situaition when volume 2 is too loud is very bad. In my case, соmfortable sound level is about 5-6 for radio and 12-14 for USB. It's possible to use some computer programs (Sound Normalizer or mp3gain) to increase sound volume of mp3 (so difference between radio and mp3 will be less), but it slightly redices mp3 quality

Last edited:

lleiro

TDI
2006 Golf Plus 1.9 TDI PD105
Hi. I wonder if the harness you got was an vw-oem or you adapted an aftermarket?

I am in the UK and have a Golf V with the stock RCD300. I just got the RMT300 but I am stuck with the harness adapter situation. The adapter costs more than the unit it self and they are really hard to get by and I don't see anything in special about it. The unit is factory refurbished and I can't wait to put it in but I need to figure the harness 1st. Any tip would be really welcome!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
lleiro - I don't recall anymore about the harness. It came with the radio when I purchased it (or I purchased it with the radio). I doubt that it's a vw-oem part, can't think of why that would exist, so guessing that it's aftermarket.

If you have the terminal release tools you can just re-pin it in a connector from another car, but this makes going back to the other radio a more complicated task.

Sorry I'm not of any more help

lleiro

TDI
2006 Golf Plus 1.9 TDI PD105
Thanks for the quick reply. ;) This one came without any harness at all and no schematics/manual either so I guess I'd have to return it which is a shame because looks and feels like a great oem unit