www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old July 12th, 2014, 21:34   #1
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4
Default RMT200 Install in MkIV Double DIN

The Premium VI double DIN radio in my 03 Jetta has done well, but I've been wanting to get something a little nicer that will take AUX inputs and such - especially since my antenna base is crap and I can't even reliably tune local stations, not to mention going on a road trip is lots of static. I've got about 1000+ miles to put on in the next few weeks and don't want to do it without good tunes, so I found the RMT200 for sale at www.deutscheautoparts.com and decided to give it a try with the associated adapter harnesses. It's an OEM VW Single DIN radio with Bluetooth, 3.5mm Aux Input, USB Port, SD Card Slot, A2DP Audio Streaming (whatever that is?). All of it showed up at my door for $325 including shipping - a little spendy in hindsight, but I do like an OEM solution as most all aftermarket radio's look gaudy and never seem to have a clean looking install.

The deutsche website implies that when you buy the adapter harnesses, that it's a plug and play install - not quite. In the end it's relatively simple but it took me a fair amount of work to figure this out because of VERY poor instructions included with the unit. I did a fair amount of looking on TDIClub, Vortex and any other place I could think of and didn't have much success, so I figured that I'd document what I did here so the next guy does not have to struggle through this like I did. I do not have steering wheel controls or a CD Changer or navigation, or phone, etc - just a radio so that's what the below applies to. You may need to go about this differently to integrate the other features if you have them.
This is the main harness adapter as it's comes in the box - plenty of loose wires to figure out where they need to go.

Here are the original instructions - I especially like the "Insert cable in the connector as shown in the instructions for the radio". These instructions for the radio are not included so you're left to guess.

The tan 8 pin connector for the speakers is done right - no changes needed, just plug it in
The black 8 pin connector for power, ignition, ground, etc was more confusing - It only comes with 3 wires in it but you'll need 5 when you're all done and have to move one. Here's the pinout and what should be connected to what.
1) No Connection
2) No Connection (came with Green with Grey stripe - Move to Pin 5)
3) No Connection
4) To switched power (typically ignition) - Solid Red Wire (long wire)
5) 12v Constant even with key off - Green with Grey stripe
6) To dash light dimmer switch - Grey with Blue stripe (long wire)
7) 12v Constant even with key off - Red with White stripe
8) Ground - Brown

The "Quadlock" connector is also relatively simple - one wire move. Pins 1-8 are the speaker connections and require no changes. Pins 9-16 require one wire move only - pinout below
9) No Connection
10) No Connection
11) No Connection (came with Green with Grey Stripe - Move to Pin 16)
12) Ground - Brown
13) No Connection
14) No Connection
15) 12v Constant even with key off - Red with White stripe
16) 12v Constant even with key off - Green with Grey stripe

In short, here's what you need to do.
1) Plug the fat red wire with white stripe into Pin 7 of the black connector
2) Plug the thin long red wire into Pin 4 of the black connector - Connect the other end to a switched power source (typically ignition)
3) Move both ends of the Green wire with Grey stripe
4) Connect the Grey wire with the Blue stripe to your dimmer circuit
That's it - power it up, press the >> button to get it to ask you for the security code (on the sticker on top of the RMT200), press the >> button again and you're off.
I'll get some in car pictures tomorrow when I finish the install - I'm putting a 42 Draft Designs 3 hole gauge panel in the gap (just what I need, more gauges )
Funny side story in figuring all this out...They claim that this is plug and play in a single DIN MkIII, MkIV and B5 so I asked a co-worker who has a 98 Jetta to see if he'd allow me to pull his radio out, plug the RMT200 in just to see if it would work at all. Sure he says, hands me the keys and off I go thinking this should be quick and easy. I grab my radio lock keys, the RMT200 and sit down in his car. I slide the keys in each side, start to wiggle the radio out about 1/2" or so and reach up and put three fingers in the cassette slot and a thumb below to help pull the unit out of the dash, and the face plate of his radio literally explodes in my hand and there's buttons falling off, plastic breaking everywhere, etc He took it well, but I felt horrible and owe him a replacement at least, so if anyone knows where I can pick up a 1J0 035 180 single din radio for cheap, I'd appreciate any leads.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:00   #2
romad
Veteran Member

Isn't this a EUROPEAN radio? If so the FM frequency band is slightly different: North America uses a 0.2MHz wide spacing on 87.9MHz-107.9MHz, while Europe uses 0.1MHz for the spacing on 87.5MHz-108.0MHz. Thus you MIGHT pick up something other that an FM broadcast station on 87.5 & 87.7 MHz. Please let us know if you do so.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:56   #3
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Never checked down that low (and my antenna base is crap so very poor reception anyway). If/when I replace the base, I'll report back on these frequencies.

Yes, it's a european radio.

I've been doing some digging on terminal removal tools since that was the 2nd most time consuming part of the job. I tried safety pins with no luck, ended up cutting a medium size zip tie the long way and using the two ends to push the tabs in and get the wires out. Tedious for sure.

I've found many options -

TDI Club Vendor Dave @ OttoStadt $50 + Shipping for the two most common tools

I found several other options at amazon

Wilmar 23pc kit for $96.99 shipped free with Prime

Lisle 56500 for $9.10 shipped free with Prime Should do both large and small VW terminals

Lisle 57750 3pc terminal release kit (includes 56500 and 2 others) for $33.92 shipped free with Prime

Not sure which one(s) I'll get, but leaning toward the 57750 kit
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old July 13th, 2014, 17:19   #4
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Here's a picture of the unit installed

Old July 14th, 2014, 08:21   #5
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Cool, looks good! Wish this was around when I was buying a radio for my 00 Golf.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 14:49   #6
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Isn't this a EUROPEAN radio? If so the FM frequency band is slightly different: North America uses a 0.2MHz wide spacing on 87.9MHz-107.9MHz, while Europe uses 0.1MHz for the spacing on 87.5MHz-108.0MHz. Thus you MIGHT pick up something other that an FM broadcast station on 87.5 & 87.7 MHz. Please let us know if you do so.
European AM is different too.

Edit, I have a spare 1j0 035 180AV radio with the SAFE code for $40 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI

Last edited by volmaniac; July 15th, 2014 at 14:52.
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 15:59   #7
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

volmaniac - I'll be in touch about the radio you have for sale
Old July 16th, 2014, 11:57   #8
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

sent u a pm Fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:59   #9
mk3
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46.4 lifetime

I had started a related thread in the MKIV forum and someone linked in the radio
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419999

Fix_Until_Broke, would love to hear more about your radio.

What do you think of that display? is it easy to read in daylight? do you mind it not having the blue backlight?

I plan to use it for playing audiobooks so one important but easy to overlook feature is that is must save the place of an mp3 file when the power is killed.

would appreciate any notes you may have. How do you use yours?

I am considering this European radio, or aftermarket interface for my original OEM or other OEM radios with the USB feature. it will be a tough choice.

thanks!
mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 21:36   #10
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

The display is easy to read in daylight even with my polarized sunglasses - I have to turn my head almost 60 degrees before the display goes black with them on. The non-blue backlight is not a big deal for me, it's technically not matching the rest of the dash, but it fits with my other gauges that have white backlighting.

I have my music on a USB key that I just leave plugged into the USB port. It picks up where you left off so no problem there.

I looked at the Denison adapter which is likely the easiest/most cost effective option, but I wanted to try something different and have the room for extra gauges or storage cubby.

The buttons are a little small compared to the Double Din, but not bad. After a few weeks it's getting relatively easy to find the buttons without looking. The USB key makes a good reference location to find the 4 buttons right above it.

Minor dislikes

1) Startup Time is relatively long - 5-7 seconds from key on to sound out

2) No more speed sensitive volume - I almost forgot about this, but I do really miss it, particularly in a car that's a bit noisy like mine.

3) Radio turns off with the ignition - I need to find the circuit that stays powered until you remove the key from the ignition so the radio stays on until I remove the key from the ignition. I was frustrated that my 13 Passat didn't do this and have not taken the time to figure out how to make this one do it.

4) I also have not taken the time to connect the dimmer wire to the dimmer circuit so it's full bright all the time. Not a big deal at night since my knee blocks the display more/less, but something I'd like to take care of. I don't know if the display will dim or if it's just the little red lights on the buttons/knob that dim. When I applied power to the dimmer wire, only the little red lights lit up so I'm not holding out hope that the display will dim with the dimmer.

I like most everything else about it, bluetooth is easy, USB is clean - just plug it in and it finds all the music - buttons/menu are relatively clean & easy to use.
Old July 28th, 2014, 22:10   #11
mk3
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46.4 lifetime

Fix' thanks for the fast reply. I had not thought about the polarized lenses of my sunglasses. maybe that has been the trouble with my other display?

I did not know that these radios had speed sensitive volume. Guess it must have been pretty fine-tuned but also I have had an aftermarket radio for several years now so the stock unit is a distant memory.
mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 13:07   #12
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

An update after a few months - Generally I still like it. I moved it to the top of the hole and put the gauges on the bottom so the volume knob is roughly in the same location as the double din radio.

I have not done anything with the dimmer or having the radio stay on until the key is removed.

The volume knob is suddenly a bit hard to turn. I'm used to just being able to touch the perimeter with my finger and roll the volume up/down, but now have to actually pinch it with thumb and forefinger to turn it. It's not hard to turn by any means, just a little more resistance than there was before so that I can't turn it with one finger. Not sure if there's a bearing in there getting bound up a little or if it's just the cold weather or what it is exactly.

I exclusively listen to MP3's from my USB thumb drive on random setting (have not fixed my antenna base yet). After a month or so, the random setting repeats the same song too frequently. I have a ~30 minute commute each way and it was repeating the same song on the way to work and the way home. It took a while to notice this, but as time went on, it got worse and worse - when I heard the same song on the 30 minute drove to work it was getting annoying. I removed the thumb drive and re-inserted it and it seemed to clear it's short term memory and go to a more random mix of the songs. I have ~650 songs on the drive and nothing else.
Old January 12th, 2015, 22:03   #13
k0mpresd

thanks for this. helped me tons trying to figure out why this thing wasnt powering up in a mk4 double din.
Old March 19th, 2015, 22:14   #14
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

That sucks. I just looked this up and it is no longer available.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 301K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 20:27   #15
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

woah, $1200 on their website now and not available (not that I'd pay $1200 for it even if it was available).

maybe still available in Europe?
http://www.jcbvwcarparts.co.uk/produ...DIN_6Q0051228B