www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old March 17th, 2016, 12:27   #61
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post

Unless there's a bridge, I'll never be visiting Hawaii as my wife will not fly.
So take her on a cruise! http://cruiseweb.com/destinations/cruise-hawaii

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 07:06   #62
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Taking a cruise to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Well, that is an awesome idea. However, I'm still trying to get her to agree to a cheap cruise (Ferry) up the inside passage from Port Hardy (north end of Victoria Island, BC) to Hanes/Skagway, Alaska. Although we have done the Ferry from Skagway to Hanes a couple of times, she's still pondering the idea.

I recall our first trip to Key West, Florida, 1998, in the ol' '83 Vanagon... my wife was a nervous wreck until we got there. We've been back a couple of times and she handled those trips much better.

Back to the cruise to Hawaii, doubt that will ever materialize.

(Hey, I'm still trying to get her to agree to tour the highway that goes through Bear Tooth Pass just outside Yellowstone National Park ..... In 1980, I left her at the 11,000 foot level (visitor center I believe) on Pike's Peak as I drove the 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel on to the top, 14,114 feet.)
Old April 8th, 2016, 22:18   #63
IcedTeaNinja

TDI(s): '14 JSW TDI

Hey Guys, new to the forum. We just completed our first real road trip in our '14 JSW TDI.
San Diego through Las Vegas to the 5 National Parks in Utah (Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands), then the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on the way back to San Diego. We pulled a 4'*8' travel trailer throughout and averaged about 35 mpg's. Kept it at 60 and below due to the small trailer tires but couldn't be happier with the cars performance throughout the trip.
IcedTeaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:42   #64
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, that is an awesome idea. However, I'm still trying to get her to agree to a cheap cruise (Ferry) up the inside passage from Port Hardy (north end of Victoria Island, BC) to Hanes/Skagway, Alaska. Although we have done the Ferry from Skagway to Hanes a couple of times, she's still pondering the idea.
I'm confused how you took a ferry from Haines to Skagway without getting to Alaska by air. Have you taken the inside passage before?
[QUOTE=AndyBees;5030633]In 1980, I left her at the 11,000 foot level (visitor center I believe) on Pike's Peak as I drove the 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel on to the top, 14,114 feet.)
Without a turbo, that must have made for lots of smoke and really low speeds.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:55   #65
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
I'm confused how you took a ferry from Haines to Skagway without getting to Alaska by air. Have you taken the inside passage before?
Remember, Andy has DRIVEN to Alaska! Look at a map of AK, BC, & YU. From YU Route 1 you can take YU Rte 3 to BC Rte 4 to AK Rte 7 to Haines. Alternately you can go from YU Rte 1 on YU Rte 2 and BC Rte 2 to AK Rte 98 to Skagway.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; April 9th, 2016 at 12:57.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 17:54   #66
cmitchell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
When I was a bit younger I drove the Alaska Highway, spent six weeks up there & had a great time! To get home I drove to Haines where I took the Alaska Marine Highway (inside passage) to Washington State. I got to Haines three days early. Honestly, there wasn't much to do in Haines, so I made the trip from Haines to Skagway on the ferry one day & back to Haines the next. I didn't spend the entire time on the ferry on the return trip either ... I got off in Juneau, Sitka & Petersburg and spent three days in each town. I wasn't driving a Volkswagen on the trip though. I was driving an Isuzu P'up. It WAS a diesel though so it counts! So yes, it is possible to take the ferry from Haines to Skagway without getting to Alaska by air ... been there done that!

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 10:54   #67
freakmike3

TDI(s): Jetta 09

I did my first road trip in my TDI about 5 years back. We drove from Richmond Va to DisneyWorld. Straight through with a stop at South of the Border (don't stop if you can help it.) Coming back was brutal. Almost 13 hours due to terrible traffic around Savannah. I timed our departure wrong and hit all the traffic. Luckily the Jetta is super comfortable so all those hours on my ass didn't bother me.
Old September 10th, 2016, 13:56   #68
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I picked up another state at this year's TDIFest - Wisconsin.

I have five states remaining now... North Dakota, Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Old September 10th, 2016, 14:27   #69
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I picked up another state at this year's TDIFest - Wisconsin.

I have five states remaining now... North Dakota, Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.
You've never been to New Orleans?
Old September 10th, 2016, 14:30   #70
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Nope. Not yet! I need to plan a trip down there so that I can pick up the three missing Gulf states (and to have a good time, of course).
Old September 10th, 2016, 19:43   #71
ATR
Veteran Member

I've been to all three golf states... if you like seafood they are some of the best places I've been to. And the gumbo is amazing down there

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 20:33   #72
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post
Driving through Nebraska is just about as thrilling as driving through Kansas!! you really haven't lived until...

Yuri
At least driving across Nebraska, you run along the Platte River and see civilization. Running across Kansas you see noting but tumble weeds.

I've been to 46 states and 6 Provinces and 3 European countries. We passed up the trip to Four Corners a few years back since the weather was starting to really turn to crap. Utah and New Mexico are the only remaining of the 48 contiguous states. For Canada, I've covered from Quebec to BC.

Decided to add a slight twist to the conversation. I've also biked in 13 states over the last two years.

Last edited by kjclow; September 10th, 2016 at 20:51.
kjclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 21:39   #73
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
At least driving across Nebraska, you run along the Platte River and see civilization. Running across Kansas you see noting but tumble weeds.

I've been to 46 states and 6 Provinces and 3 European countries. We passed up the trip to Four Corners a few years back since the weather was starting to really turn to crap. Utah and New Mexico are the only remaining of the 48 contiguous states. For Canada, I've covered from Quebec to BC.

Decided to add a slight twist to the conversation. I've also biked in 13 states over the last two years.
You're really going to enjoy Utah and New Mexico. There are some great national parks in both, especially Utah.
Old September 16th, 2016, 19:50   #74
AndyBees
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Mike in Anchorage;5046309]I'm confused how you took a ferry from Haines to Skagway without getting to Alaska by air. Have you taken the inside passage before?
Quote:
In 1980, I left her at the 11,000 foot level (visitor center I believe) on Pike's Peak as I drove the 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel on to the top, 14,114 feet.)
Without a turbo, that must have made for lots of smoke and really low speeds.

Sorry for such a late reply to this comment.

Look at my post, I said we did the ferry from Skagway to Haines, not the other way around! Back in July of this year, we drove down to Skagway again (3rd time) but never did the ferry over to Haines. I doubt I'll ever be back to Haines unless we do the inside-passage from Port Hardy on the ferry.

Edit: Yes, this recent trip made 9 times to Alaska since 1986... all in a VW Vanagon!

Last edited by AndyBees; September 16th, 2016 at 19:52. Reason: add a comment
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 15:22   #75
Jake Brake
Veteran Member

As a former over the road truck owner operator I have traveled through all states except AK, HI, RI and VT. I have also been to Quebec.
I have been out west through Glacier Park in a tdi also.
Jake Brake is offline   Reply With Quote