low beams dont work, but drl & high beams do

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
high beams do work but when I switch to low beams they go out.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
good chance it's the dimmer switch. Pretty common problem.

jnsrogers

TDI
2005 gls TDI (BEW)
My 2005 Jetta TDI MKIV is doing something similar except I don't have daytime running lights either. It all happened one morning after I'd set my parking brake. I believe the headlights/daytime running lights go out when applied. Anyway they never came back on and all I have now are high beams. I checked the bulbs and they are good, the fuses are good and even have power to the fuses but not at the light bulb socket on the low beam contact. Any thoughts on what this might be? I'm new to the forum so sorry if I hijacked your thread.:).

jnsrogers

TDI
2005 gls TDI (BEW)
2005 Jetta TDI headlights

My 2005 Jetta TDI MKIV is doing something similar except I don't have daytime running lights either. It all happened one morning after I'd set my parking brake. I believe the headlights/daytime running lights go out when applied. Anyway they never came back on and all I have now are high beams. I checked the bulbs and they are good, the fuses are good and even have power to the fuses but not at the light bulb socket on the low beam contact. Any thoughts on what this might be? I'm new to the forum so sorry if I hijacked your thread.:).
I have been reading on some older posts about a relay #173 that is located under the dash that runs the low beam headlights and the DRLs. I was under the dash and saw 3 relays I think but I don't remember the numbers. The post I was reading had fuses and this relay on a 2000 Gulf I think. Would my 2005 Jetta have the same setup? If anyone has any input please let me know. As I understand it the author of the post I was reading had to stumble across this due to no diagrams were found telling him what or where the relay #173 was located or even that it existed.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I saw similar behavior when my headlight switch went bad. So if you have a spare or can meet with someone and try swapping them this is easy to test.

Dave

02Jetta

TDI
02 JETTA
It was my hi/lo turn signal switch. thanks for the help. bought a used one on ebay $40.

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
hi/lo turn signal switch

Was the hi/lo turn signal switch hard to change? Do I Need to take air bag/wheel apart??

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
I had to replace my turn signal switch it cost me about a hundred bucks on rock auto. It's a little bit of work but not bad follow the DIYs

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Anyone else have issues with this? I tried replacing the turn signal switch with an aftermarket switch and still nothing. DRL's work just fine so we can rule out the bulbs being bad. I checked the fuses and they seem fine. I may have gotten a defective turn signal switch and am going to try swapping it tonight to see if that is the problem as this seems to be the common cause. I have swapped headlight switches to avail. High beams work just fine and DRL's work just fine, but low beams are a no go. I replaced the ignition switch as well. Any advice?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
did you replace the switch in the dash? go to the wreckers and get one for $5 and swap it out, less than 5 mins to change it

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
I have two switches and have tried both. I am hoping the turn signal switch I put in is defective. I will swap it again tonight.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried a known working headlight switch, and what do you know, working low beams. It amazes me that both of the switches I had were junk.

mk4deezil

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI wagon
I'm having a similar problem however my drivers side low beam is not working nor drl but high beam works. What do you suggest the issue is?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If it's only the drivers low beam it could be fuse 21, 15 amps.
If it's good check if power is getting to the plug at the light.

Both side lights have their own ground on the left front of the engine compartment.
If the high beam works I wouldn't thing it's bad, but ya never know until it's fixed.

mk4deezil

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI wagon
I checked the fuse and it's good. I know power is getting to the light because the high beam works. Isnt the low and high the same light bulb?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I checked the fuse and it's good. I know power is getting to the light because the high beam works. Isnt the low and high the same light bulb?
It's the same physical bulb.
Low and high beam are 2 separate wires.
Both elements inside the bulb share the same ground.

Drivers low beam wires are yellow / black and high beam is gray / yellow.
Ground is brown.

Funny things can happen with a bad ground but lets start with the easy tests. :)

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
In case it is helpful, reviving an old thread here with an alternate short term solution that will work for those with a Mk4 Jetta that has this issue (failure of the high/lowbeam switch in the turn signal stalk resulting in loss of low beam headlights).

Note that this only applies if the above scenario is in fact the source of the problem, rather than some other issue like failed bulbs, grounds, fuses, or headlight switch. The scenario is that DRLs and highbeams still work normally on both sides, but both low beam headlights go out when you turn the light switch from off to on, due to failed low beam contacts in the headlight hi/low beam column stalk.

The proper repair of course is to replace the turn signal stalk assy, but I had this happen the other day, needed the car to not be down, and did not have time to order and wait for a switch nor pull off the airbag and steering wheel to replace it etc.

You can get low beams working normally again in about 1 minute with this workaround:
1) Remove the headlight switch on left side of dash (push in, turn, pull out -- watch YouTube if you don't already know how) and unplug its connector
2) Using a VW pin removal tool (or a substitute, with a little more difficulty), extract the female terminal from position #3 in the connector (this is the DRL wire, corresponding to "TFL" pin on the switch)
3) Move this terminal a few spaces over to the empty #7 position in the connector and re-insert it securely there. This corresponds to the 56* labeled pin in the headlight switch, which receives power when you turn the lights on. It is normally not used in Jettas and only in Golfs/Passats etc where there is a separate low beam section of the headlamp. Moving the wire over here puts this unused terminal temporarily to work operating the low beams in the Jetta rather than the DRLs.
4) Plug the headlight switch back in and re-insert it into the dash. You're done.

What this accomplishes is it activates the low-beam headlights when you turn the switch, energizing them via the DRL changeover relay rather than through the column stalk contacts which get bypassed. Essentially instead of running the DRLs with the switch in the "off" position, it tells them them to run in "on" instead, along with the rest of the running lights. This means you don't have DRLs anymore, although most of us don't want them anyway. It also means that if you have the parking brake on your low beam headlights won't work, but that's not much of a problem.

Highbeams will still work normally in this scenario, BUT when you turn on the highbeams it won't cut power to the low beams like it normally would. IMO this is the only thing that makes this suitable only as a temporary solution rather than permanent. Running both high and low filaments in the bulb for long periods of time will generate excess heat and likely damage bulbs or housings. This is best used for folks who need their low beams working again but rarely need their high beams. If extended use of the highbeams is needed you need to either fix the problem properly with a new column stalk and not pursue this workaround, or add a defeat circuit to disable the DRL relay when running highbeams so that they only operate one at a time.

This temporary fix is reversible if you do it for now and then later replace the stalk. Just move that same terminal from #7 back to its original #3 position. You will regain the DRLs if you want them, and the function of the lighting circuits will go back to normal.

Good luck, maybe this will help someone out of a bind if this failure occurs at a bad place or time where you can't fix it right away.

Last edited:

Wsander1

TDI
Mk4
In case it is helpful, reviving an old thread here with an alternate short term solution that will work for those with a Mk4 Jetta that has this issue (failure of the high/lowbeam switch in the turn signal stalk resulting in loss of low beam headlights).

Note that this only applies if the above scenario is in fact the source of the problem, rather than some other issue like failed bulbs, grounds, fuses, or headlight switch. The scenario is that DRLs and highbeams still work normally on both sides, but both low beam headlights go out when you turn the light switch from off to on, due to failed low beam contacts in the headlight hi/low beam column stalk.

The proper repair of course is to replace the turn signal stalk assy, but I had this happen the other day, needed the car to not be down, and did not have time to order and wait for a switch nor pull off the airbag and steering wheel to replace it etc.

You can get low beams working normally again in about 1 minute with this workaround:
1) Remove the headlight switch on left side of dash (push in, turn, pull out -- watch YouTube if you don't already know how) and unplug its connector
2) Using a VW pin removal tool (or a substitute, with a little more difficulty), extract the female terminal from position #3 in the connector (this is the DRL wire, corresponding to "TFL" pin on the switch)
3) Move this terminal a few spaces over to the empty #7 position in the connector and re-insert it securely there. This corresponds to the 56* labeled pin in the headlight switch, which receives power when you turn the lights on. It is normally not used in Jettas and only in Golfs/Passats etc where there is a separate low beam section of the headlamp. Moving the wire over here puts this unused terminal temporarily to work operating the low beams in the Jetta rather than the DRLs.
4) Plug the headlight switch back in and re-insert it into the dash. You're done.

What this accomplishes is it activates the low-beam headlights when you turn the switch, energizing them via the DRL changeover relay rather than through the column stalk contacts which get bypassed. Essentially instead of running the DRLs with the switch in the "off" position, it tells them them to run in "on" instead, along with the rest of the running lights. This means you don't have DRLs anymore, although most of us don't want them anyway. It also means that if you have the parking brake on your low beam headlights won't work, but that's not much of a problem.

Highbeams will still work normally in this scenario, BUT when you turn on the highbeams it won't cut power to the low beams like it normally would. IMO this is the only thing that makes this suitable only as a temporary solution rather than permanent. Running both high and low filaments in the bulb for long periods of time will generate excess heat and likely damage bulbs or housings. This is best used for folks who need their low beams working again but rarely need their high beams. If extended use of the highbeams is needed you need to either fix the problem properly with a new column stalk and not pursue this workaround, or add a defeat circuit to disable the DRL relay when running highbeams so that they only operate one at a time.

This temporary fix is reversible if you do it for now and then later replace the stalk. Just move that same terminal from #7 back to its original #3 position. You will regain the DRLs if you want them, and the function of the lighting circuits will go back to normal.

Good luck, maybe this will help someone out of a bind if this failure occurs at a bad place or time where you can't fix it right away.

Can you connect pin 3 and pin 7 to get them both to work if you wanted both. Meaning install a pin into 7 and tie it into 3 so both are connected to feed into that wire that goes to drl relay

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Yes you could do that. The effect of what you are suggesting is that the DRL function would be retained in addition to the effects I mentioned above.

However, I still would consider it a less than ideal fix since it would not solve what I feel to be the main issue of this "workaround": when energizing the lowbeams through the DRL relay rather than the low-beam contacts in the hi/lo dimmer switch, you lose the ability to cut off the low beams when the high beams are energized. Jury is still out on whether running both low and high circuits will cause problems in the long term but it is certainly not helpful.

Trepens

TDI
MkIV Jetta
I've got the same/similar problem, where the low beams turn off when switch is turned on. I've checked fuses 20/21, DRL's work so I know bulbs aren't bad, high beams work when stalk is pulled, but not pushed. I have confirmed the switch is working(actually have two working switches), I've also tried three different turn signal stalks, though all used from junkyard. I resorted to using d24tdi's work around for now, but would like to fix this for good. Where should I be checking next if I'm to assume the stalk isn't the issue? I have an electronic copy of the Bentley, but wiring diagrams aren't exactly my strong suit. Related question, is there a way to test a stalk with a multimeter so that I know it's actually good? Any and all help is much appreciated.