Car Review: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Interesting to note they found the TDI more refined than the BMW. I believe it. The VAG has a ton of diesel experience behind them. Nice.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Interesting to note they found the TDI more refined than the BMW. I believe it. The VAG has a ton of diesel experience behind them. Nice.
I agree with this - having a NMS as my daily driver, I west to test drive a 328d a few months back and was surprised at how "clacky" the engine noise was inside the cabin. The NMS is much smoother, though it makes significantly less power.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I enjoyed the VW over the BMW article so well I said so on Facebook. (Obviously, the author made my day).

ez

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Ummm, shouldn't it be 150HP?
Nope. They were reviewing a 2014 Jetta with the CJAA engine from the EA189 generation. This is the same engine that dates back to 2010 (2009 with the CBEA variant). The 150HP engine (new gen EA288) is available in 2015 model Canadian/US cars.

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
Nope. They were reviewing a 2014 Jetta with the CJAA engine from the EA189 generation. This is the same engine that dates back to 2010 (2009 with the CBEA variant). The 150HP engine (new gen EA288) is available in 2015 model Canadian/US cars.
Cool, I thought a post under the TDI News/Tech will be about the new news :D

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Having recently bought my second "d" *and* having rented a Jetta (gasser) for a week recently the two cars aren't even on the same level.Yes,I'm not comparing apples with apples but the Jetta,surely a nice car in its class,well...I already said it.It would be more fitting to compare a BMW 1 Series diesel to a Jetta.

YMMV

SMR

TDI
Currently: None :(, Previously: '04 Golf GLS, '12 Jetta 6M; Non-TDI Diesel: 116d EffDynEd
It would be more fitting to compare a BMW 1 Series diesel to a Jetta.
The 1 series is still a cut above the Jetta, I think, as it should be given the price differential. In particular, the fit and finish in my 116d is a fair bit better than my '12 Jetta was.

I really liked that car, though how much of that is because it's a relatively understated marque without the BMW douchey connotation, I don't know :D

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
be certain that the author is referring to the relative lack of clatter @ start-up, idle & drive compared to the 328d when cold. i'm sure the bimmer heats up & drives nicely and its cabin is appropriately appointed for it's class. somewhat related to the 1-series argument, plenty of euro reviewers urge buyers to choose the 1.6 vw powerplant vs.the 2.0 because of fuel economy, purchase price & emissions related tax benefits but sacrifice refinement by their own admission. as an exercise in contrast it appears that the author is pleasantly surprised at the level of in-class refinement with the vw powerplant relative to its higher priced non-competitor. perhaps a cruze d would have been a better apple:)
i'm pleased overall that there are other great diesels with which to compare.

Last edited: