New MK7 Golf Regular VS electronic handbrake

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'm curious, I saw the new MK7 Golf GTI at the Toronto autoshow in February and it had an electronic handbrake. I saw the same car today at a different autoshow, but this gti had a normal handbrake lever... I'm a bit confused, this one was made in Mexico, do the north american models get a normal handbrake vs europe? Why would they do this?

Here are pictures of the two

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
'sposedly the US market gets a conventional lever handbrake instead of the Euro-model electric one. But no one knows until they roll them off the trucks at the dealer.

PurpleGrimace

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
The one I looked at during the Minneapolis Auto Show this winter had an electronic one - so what Graham said about rolling them off the trucks at the dealer rings true.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I have read that North America would get the mechanical lever (can't remember the source), and thank God for that!

VW messes up just about every other "electronically-actuated" anything (ASV, exhaust flap, sunroof, throttles in the gassers...). A cable is just perfect, thanks! As well, the good ole-fashioned type still allows for some *ahem* creative maneuvers, which the electronic system will not, even when it is working.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I have read that North America would get the mechanical lever (can't remember the source), and thank God for that!

VW messes up just about every other "electronically-actuated" anything (ASV, exhaust flap, sunroof, throttles in the gassers...). A cable is just perfect, thanks! As well, the good ole-fashioned type still allows for some *ahem* creative maneuvers, which the electronic system will not, even when it is working.
Indeed, it does allow for a more "fun" factor :) My only question is, when the car is manufactured, since it was designed originally with the electronic handbrake, how much of a difference does it make when building the car in terms of money, redesigned, etc...

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I got to test drive the Mk7 golf last week, and it had the regular hand brake.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Why would they over engineer the lowly hand brake, which works perfectly fine day in; day out?!