www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 30th, 2015, 23:02   #46
psulik1

I know there was some debate about the FOAM v. tape, I used the HVAC tape and it worked fine, HEAT HEAT HEAT. Maybe with the FOAM you get a better seal but **** man for the work I did ( pain in the ass but not bad ) and the tape I used the heat was more than enough. Works just fine, Chicago winters.....
psulik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 20:21   #47
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

The longevity of this fix is more about the adhesive than the blocking material....how well it can hang on to the materials in the temperature extremes. If you could apply the blocking material from the opposite side of the door it would be more secure. It would be pushed against the door with the air flow.
I did it anyway using the aluminum backed 1/8 foam pipe wrap tape. We shall see.

What is the longest that this has worked for anyone so far?
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 17:48   #48
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Did the blend doors on my son's '01 Jetta today. Not too bad,found a sh*tload of broken plastic pieces when taking everything apart-a few I caused,the rest was done before our ownership. I ended up breaking the big tab on bottom of blend door cover. I was able to do it without unplugging the radio,except for antenna connection. Both blend doors were PERFECTLY clean. I used HVAC foil tape to cover both doors. The 2 screws on the blend door cover are 6mm hex,but I had a long enough screwdriver to get them that way.I used one of those grabber thingys to get the screw back in hole,but the plastic ear on the right side of cover ended up breaking...to solve the broken tab on bottom,I drilled a hole through cover and box,then used a ziptie to fasten it-worked pretty good. I took car down road and started to get heat in about 1-1/2 miles,way better than the zero heat before I did the doors. Son is REALLY happy now..... the PO took the car to a garage last March w/ no heat complaint-they changed the t-stat and coolant, so I don't know if he realized it still had no heat or not-we bought the car in June, the A/C worked good,but the heat sucked in the fall,but no foam was coming out of vents.
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 30k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 178hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 427k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 19:36   #49
Golf3D

When I got my 2000 Golf several years ago I replaced the A/C compressor and several related components hoping it would keep the cabin cold in the hot Florida weather. Yet with perfect high and low side pressures, tinted windows and a silly beige dash cover it never got better than marginally cool. And even with mild winters here, the heat was useless.

After reading this and many other threads about the vent door foam I finally took the plunge this week and had Scott Krout in Jacksonville perform the repair. He disassembled the dash, removed the remaining foam, cleaned everything out and recovered the doors with specialized tape for A/C systems. Now I have REALLY COLD air coming out of the correct vents using the rotary control and the heat works too! With another brutal Florida summer coming up I'm happy I spent the money and this is fixed now.

So if you have weak A/C from random vents, no heat and bits of foam blowing on you, it seems you can NEVER achieve proper cooling and heating unless you or a guru does this repair!
Golf3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:25   #50
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Yep. I need to do this on my Beetle soon.
Old May 31st, 2016, 13:28   #51
Chunlicious

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Is there a picture or video of the "quick method" of accessing this area?
Chunlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:40   #52
Chunlicious

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

So, I was able to do this repaid on a 2003 MK4 Jetta 1.8T. Here is a video that should help if someone is still a bit confused. I could not find one like this. Took my under 4 hours + trip to Home Depot.

https://youtu.be/bxPMzzLmEuM
Chunlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 21:17   #53
Perfectreign
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunlicious View Post
So, I was able to do this repaid on a 2003 MK4 Jetta 1.8T. Here is a video that should help if someone is still a bit confused. I could not find one like this. Took my under 4 hours + trip to Home Depot.

https://youtu.be/bxPMzzLmEuM
That's the best video link I've seen. Perfect!!

2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
Perfectreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 23:33   #54
Aquaticmind
Veteran Member

Location: Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is. Wa, via Carbondale IL, via Asheville NC
Fuel Economy: good

Hi folks,

I was driving to the beach today and suddenly my vent started blowing hot air instead of cool air with no change when I moved the hot/cold air dial (the AC was off, but it had been working earlier). I haven't seen or had any issues with the vents blowing foam, but I need to find a way to stop the hot air so I can use my AC and not roast. The black interior and a hot Georgia summer demands AC.

Does it sound to you folks like I have an issues with the foam on the blend door or is it possible that the cable that controls the hot / cold mix for the air has just become disconnect. If it's the later, is there fix?

Thanks
~James

Aquaticmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:35   #55
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Are the radiator fans turning when the A/C is switched ON?
Is the center of the compressor pulley turning?
Could be unrelated to the blend door if it happened all of a sudden.
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:24   #56
Aquaticmind
Veteran Member

Location: Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is. Wa, via Carbondale IL, via Asheville NC
Fuel Economy: good

I haven't checked the radiator fan yet, but I replaced my fans last summer. What was really striking was that it didn't make a difference at all where I had the air temp setting, and it was a cool night so without the AC evening being on, I should have been able to cool night air through the vents.

Aquaticmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:38   #57
Perfectreign
Veteran Member

So, I decided enough was enough and took the plunge yesterday. Fall is the hottest time of the year for us in LA, so I've been driving my Avalanche since the Jetta has no cooling ability.
I almost took the plunge on a Passat lease yesterday. Even cheaper than the 2015 lease my beautiful young bride has at $98/month.

However, I thought let's get it done. The tutorial was fantastic. One thing I wanted to comment on, though. Need to have small hands. The space in there is very tight.

Using some aluminum tape and blindly trying to stick my hand through the tiny door, I was able to cover two of the doors. I know there's supposed to be three, but couldn't find the third.

...with the door going to the floor.

IMG]http://gdurl.com/MHAf[/IMG]

One thing I noticed was the the prior owner had a dentist appointment in September 9, 2002. I hope it went well. I found this card from a dentist in Deepinharta Texas with an appointment date of 2002. It was wedged in behind the air controls and up against the plastic panel which gains access to the blend door. The appointment was for a Gaylen (or Gaylan).

So, thank you to the OP and the rest for the great instructions. I now have cold air and will have heat if it ever gets cold.

2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid

Last edited by Perfectreign; September 4th, 2016 at 14:37.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:56   #58
PaCrazyLady

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta

I'll be attempting this fix tomorrow on my 99.5 Jetta. While I'm not a mechanic, I hope my perserverance pays off in what could be a costly repair if shop does it. My question is, after reading some posts and other articles and watching YouTube, there was some indication that the cover over the blend door can pop off?? Am I understanding that correctly?
Also, is this a multi day job or can I tackle it in 6-8 hours?
I've only had the car a couple weeks and have no service history on it, so I'm trying to show it some TLC in hopes that it'll last me another 60-100k miles.

Thanks
PaCrazyLady
PaCrazyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:49   #59
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCrazyLady View Post
I'll be attempting this fix tomorrow on my 99.5 Jetta. While I'm not a mechanic, .......................................
PaCrazyLady
That might be good, mechanics hate this job (a close second to electrical issues).
I've maintained and repaired my own vehicles for 40 years, also Not A Mechanic. I would give myself 2 or 3 days for working out and resolving various roadblocks you will encounter. The 3rd time you pull the HVAC unit it will take 3.5-5 hours. The first time will be closer to 10.
Your best weapons are patience and resourcefulness. Don't forget to pull the negative battery cable before starting.

Last edited by BobnOH; September 30th, 2016 at 09:51. Reason: edit
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 13:58   #60
Perfectreign
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCrazyLady View Post
My question is, after reading some posts and other articles and watching YouTube, there was some indication that the cover over the blend door can pop off?? Am I understanding that correctly?
Also, is this a multi day job or can I tackle it in 6-8 hours?
I did mine in about four. The blend door cover literally pops off with tabs. You just need to have a firm grip and pull, realizing there's about eight tabs holding the door in

2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid