www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 1st, 2014, 19:02   #16
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

So a couple months ago the exhaust side started getting sticky/slow. It would go up to 20 psi and then stay there when you let off the throttle, be slow to respond, etc. If you got the pressure above the sticking point it would rise farther and sometimes come back down and work again and sometimes not.

So, I pulled the hose off the back of the gauge and some thick black liquid came out (hint - don't do this when the engine is running!). The gauge seemed to work a bit better but a couple weeks ago it started getting sticky again. I pulled the hose off again (with the engine off this time!) and squirted brake clean down the tube which cleaned the tube out, but didn't really make the gauge work any better.

I'm guessing that they have a pretty small orifice right before the bourdon tube that acts as a check valve of sorts sometimes with all the schmutz in there. Must be smaller than the orifice that was in the 0-60 psi glycerin filled hydraulic gauge that I used to use.

I need to pull the gauge out to clean it properly and then install one of the filters that andy2 recommended above. Looks like I'll have to contact a local distributor to get one as they don't seem to be "for sale" online.

I'll report back once I know more

Overall though, I'm still very happy with the gauge despite this minor issue.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 21:10   #17
kbrenny
Veteran Member

Did you order it directly from Hewitt or do the have dealers / distributors?

I was just getting ready to hook up a temporary EMP gauge for testing but this could be a permanent and useful option.

I am going to hook mine up through a drilled and tapped EGR block off plate.

How did you hook yours up to the exhaust manifold, and what type of hose / line and fittings did you use to connect to the manifold ?
kbrenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:32   #18
Machineman
Veteran Member

Is that boosting to 45psi ? Or is that emp
Machineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 13:39   #19
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Machineman - the red needle is exhaust, green is boost

kbrenny - I ordered directly from Hewitt in California.

I've used EGR Ports or drilled/tapped in the manifold - both seem to work fine. I have a ~8" straight piece of stainless 1/4" tubing with swagelok ends and then go to any kind of tubing to the gauge. No need for spiral wound copper, etc in my opinion. Stainless has less than half the heat transfer coefficient of steel and less than 10% of copper so no problems with the tubing getting too hot - just run it away from the manifold. The tube that Hewitt provided with the gauge is really nice stuff.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old October 2nd, 2014, 14:52   #20
kbrenny
Veteran Member

I just got off the phone with them and ordered mine.

They offer a stainless kit for hooking up to the exhaust manifold.
He said it would include everything to go from the manifold to the plastic tube and not have to worry about melting the tube or seals on the fittings.

The stainless kit is not listed on their website but their tech support guy recommended it. List price was $45 but he said he would give me the biggest discount management would let him since I was ordering it with a gauge.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 14:55   #21
kbrenny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
Just need to use an inline filter for the exhaust pressure or the gauge will get bunged up with gunk.I use a Numatics PLS-B Air Line Filter 125psig
Where do you get these from?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 15:29   #22
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Cool about the stainless kit - Grab some pictures and a part number when you get it and post it up here if you would please.

I've got 10 of these filters (PLS-T so it has the 1/4" ends) coming from a local distributor for myself and a couple other people who were interested. I'll have a few left over, let me know if you want one or two or whatever. Probably ~$15/ea at your door.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 19:22   #23
Machineman
Veteran Member

Ok i figured so Very resposive turbo anyhow
Machineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 22:38   #24
kbrenny
Veteran Member

Would something like this work for an inline filter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-Air-F...item4d21ac7c6b

Aluminum housing
Bronze media
40 micron filtration

I would assume you could clean it out with carb cleaner instead of replacing it when it came time.
Old October 4th, 2014, 04:34   #25
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

I don't think it will do much of anything at 40 microns.

Old October 4th, 2014, 23:46   #26
andy2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrenny View Post
Where do you get these from?

I found them on ebay however they don't appear to be common.I stumbled upon this filter as BD diesel performance uses them in the EBP gauge kits.BD recommends replacing the filter once a year and do sell them separately.I never bothered to call BD even though we are a dealer for them.

Might be worth a call to see..

I use one on my truck with the exhaust brake and it freezes up in the winter.Havn't looked at it since I put it in 3 years ago.
andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:55   #27
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Andy - any info on buying them separately from BD?

I found the gauge kit on their website, but it's not exactly full of information

http://dieselperformance-0.shptron.c...re-160psi?pp=8
Old October 5th, 2014, 16:49   #28
andy2
Veteran Member

I do have the BD part # for the filter and I'll give them a call tomarrow.
andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 17:16   #29
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Exhaust is very wet. You probably got some condensation built up in there when you had something drain out.
Make a low point in the tube, and use something oversized like 5/16" or 1/4" line, and the fluid would work like a P-trap in your house's plumbing.
Then the only thing contacting the gauge's bourdon tube will be relatively clean air. Sorta like those diaphragm gauge isolators, but with water/condensation as the diaphragm instead.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 18:06   #30
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

8' of tubing coiled up in a 6" circle under the dash and still get sooty water up in the gauge. Not exactly the same idea, but pretty close.