www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 12th, 2014, 16:42   #1
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4
Default Hewitt Industries Dual Boost Gauge

I bought this gauge back around Thanksgiving and installed it around Christmas time so I figured it's about time I take some pictures/video if it in action as I've been very happy with it. I think they're right about $90 as well so pretty cost effective, especially since it's two gauges in one.
First off, it's a Hewitt Industries 0-50 PSI Dual Boost Gauge. Very similar to an Air Pressure gauge that is found in vehicles with air brakes.

The connections have to come out the back with my frog eye dual gauge pod steering column setup - that's probably the only downside to this unit and a minor one at that in my opinion.

The gauge comes with ~10 foot lengths of this really nice thin hose and various fittings in 1/8 & 1/4 NPT both straight and 90. No filter/cotton/orifice/etc in the boost or EMP lines and the needles don't buzz. Well - the boost gauge buzzed a little for about the first month, but is completely smooth now The gauges are very responsive as you can (kind of) see in the video below.

Backlighting is white and dims with the rest of the gauges. I'm pretty sensitive to lighting and have found it to be a very good match in brightness with the OEM dash. I do kind of miss the blue backlighting, but the white is my second choice.

So with this gauge, I was able to take my EMP gauge out of my cluster which cleaned things up a bit.
Clockwise from bottom left: Air Fuel Ratio, Boost/EMP, Actuator Vacuum, EGT, Oil Pressure/Temp

Here's a really horrible video showing the gauge in action - the static like noise is rain on the windshield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NVA339cuss

From a functional standpoint, I can't see any reason not to put one of these in vs any other boost gauge for the money - especially if you've got a non stock turbo or have fiddled with your VNT mechanism.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200

Last edited by Fix_Until_Broke; April 12th, 2014 at 19:42.
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 16:45   #2
BuzzKen

Thank u for sharing!
BuzzKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 18:24   #3
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Nice gauge and setup. Congrats on keeping that turbo going and it's nice to see what it can do.
Old April 14th, 2014, 05:31   #4
Scott02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too Many
Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

I love that I can have IMP and EMP on the same gauge.
This will definitely be my new boost gauge. Thanks!
02 allroad TDI 6MT - 150kmi, current project, getting a BSM deleted BHW and euro TDI geared 01E quattro
Scott02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:33   #5
dieseleux
Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor

TDI(s): Jetta TDI 02
Fuel Economy: 4.2L/100km

Nice gauge!

One AA battery are loss behind the meter or use to keep gauge at right angle!

Dieseleux

dieseleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:41   #6
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

Very nice, looks like I found my McNalley replacement. I really like that IMP & EMP can be shown on the same gauge with the same scale.

What color is the backlight? Is this an old style gauge you can slip a tinted cover over the LED to change colors?

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:14   #7
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Feeling kinda stupid - unless you are running a dual-turbo setup, what is the advantage of this gauge?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 13:51   #8
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Measure/observe EMP and IMP on one gauge. 2:1 of EMP:IMP is a bit high so 1.5:1 is considered best, unless you can get better. The ratio is used for tuning VNT turbos so as to not choke the engine and keep things operating efficiently.
Old April 14th, 2014, 15:07   #9
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Pretty slick setup!
Old April 14th, 2014, 20:24   #10
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleux View Post
Nice gauge!

One AA battery are loss behind the meter or use to keep gauge at right angle!

Dieseleux
Ha - Yes, I was looking for something to shim the back of the vacuum gauge up - looks like it's working it's way out.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old April 14th, 2014, 20:38   #11
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5INKY View Post
Very nice, looks like I found my McNalley replacement. I really like that IMP & EMP can be shown on the same gauge with the same scale.
What color is the backlight? Is this an old style gauge you can slip a tinted cover over the LED to change colors?
The LED is "sealed" inside (these can be mounted outside in the weather) so no easy changing like on other gauges.

The one I ordered is black face with white backlighting, but you can order it with red or green backlighting with a white or black face. Click on the link in the first post for all the info, but below are the color details

If you've got a stock turbo (1z, alh, PD) than the 0-30 psi version should be sufficient unless the actuator is way out of whack. If you're running a VNT17 or 17/22 up in the mid 20's boost and high RPM, you'll need/want the 0-50 psi gauge. I had my 17/22 setup such that I could have used the 0-30 psi gauge, but used all of my 60 psi separate EMP gauge to figure that out.
Old April 14th, 2014, 20:45   #12
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Feeling kinda stupid - unless you are running a dual-turbo setup, what is the advantage of this gauge?
As Digital Corpus said, it's for measuring exhaust pressure and intake pressure on the same gauge with the same scale - primarily for tuning VNT turbos.

I've been running a 0-30 psi boost gauge and a separate 0-60 psi exhaust pressure gauge for about 5 years or more - really helpful for troubleshooting, insuring the tuning is correct, etc.

My current turbo runs twice the boost pressure as exhaust pressure down in the 1500-2000 RPM range so is relatively efficient there. My 17/22 would run around 1:1 at similar boost pressure which is less efficient.
Old April 14th, 2014, 21:14   #13
andy2
Veteran Member

Just need to use an inline filter for the exhaust pressure or the gauge will get bunged up with gunk.I use a Numatics PLS-B Air Line Filter 125psig
andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 21:23   #14
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

I have not had one get messed up yet - The tube will get condensation in it in the winter and freeze, but once the cabin warms up and it thaws out, it works just fine again.

Maybe my tube/hose is long enough that it's not a problem (I've got all 10 feet coiled up under the dash)?

That said, the numatics PLS-B looks like a nice economical solution.
Old April 14th, 2014, 21:27   #15
JFettig

I have had autometer gauges get all sticky with soot.
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote