Spill Proof DEF filling from 2.5 gallon container w/ Mercedes connector hose

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Note: OK nearly spill proof. The Kruse push to pour spout, like on the OEM 1/2 gallon bottle is patented and the Kruse version hose is $200 if you import it from Germany.

Thought I'd post this as I've been looking for an alternative to the little bottles. Found this part in another forum and thought VW owners might like the method.

Why would you do this?

You are a clutz like me and paranoid about spills. You have other diesel vehicles with def. You are tired of filling the 1/2 gallon bottle several times to fill the tank. Or just because.

Anyway buy the following parts at your Mercedes dealer:
Filling hose, part # 000 583 22 04
10 Liter Adblue, part # 004 989 04 20 12

Cost? Mine was $40 for hose and 2.5 gallons of DEF from my dealer, YMMV. Some online retailers occassionaly have sales as mentioned below. Also as mentioned later in thread DEF has about a 1 year shelf life. For your SCR cat to work as intended the DEF should be as new as possible.

Why the Mercedes Adblue? Because not all 10L/2.5 gallon DEF bottles are the same. Some wont fit the filling hose. I have bottles from different sources I fill up at the truck stop. I fill up the Mercedes bottle then fill up the vehicle.

When the tank is full you will stop hearing the air burp into the bottle. Lower it below the tank level and wait a few minutes. Remove the hose, maybe 1 or 2 drops of def might escape.

Last edited:

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
this looks like a good idea.

I haven't had to fill up my adblue yet.
So I bought the hose (BTW the part number for the hose 000-583-22-04)
but MB seemed to have superseded the number for adblue to p/n 004-989-04-20-99
and the hose doesn't fit on the new bottle.

They are looking into it for me.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This looks like the best solution yet to filling one's own AdBlue tank...at least if the parts fit together.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Thanks for catching the hose part number I corrected it.

The bottle however in the picture is a brand new bottle I ordered just this week with my part number to have another one on hand and it fits fine?

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
Thanks for catching the hose part number I corrected it.

The bottle however in the picture is a brand new bottle I ordered just this week with my part number to have another one on hand and it fits fine?
I called 4 different MB Dealers around me

Burlington, St Kitts, Oakville and Mississauga.

Only the MB Dealer in Mississauga says they stock the older MB adblue.
Next time I'm in Mississauga I'll stop by and get a bottle.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I called 4 different MB Dealers around me

Burlington, St Kitts, Oakville and Mississauga.

Only the MB Dealer in Mississauga says they stock the older MB adblue.
Next time I'm in Mississauga I'll stop by and get a bottle.

Can't they order it, because that's what I had to do. Everything came from the Ft. Worth warehourse.

Or its a Canadian thing because this isn't an old bottle. ;)

Or you could order the 10 litre bottle from VW. I have a suspicion its the same bottle as IDParts told me the cap was 1.5 inches in diameter, which would be about right. Don't know for sure about it or others though as I buy my DEF using 5 gallon jerry cans. Maybe next fillup I'll break down and buy the Peak or other variant 2.5 gallon bottles in a auto parts store.

MercedesDEF by kydsid, on Flickr

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I simply keep my old Peak DEF jug and take it down to my local truck stop and buy DEF from their pumps for a LOT less than the 2.5 gallon jug. Yes, it's a pain to fill but it's worth the price difference in savings.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
When I bought my 2012 Passat it was recommended I buy the small bottle of the VW Adblue and, after using, cut the bottom out of the bottle and use it as a funnel. I now purchase the 2.5 gallon jugs of Blue Def sold complete with a pour spout at NAPA and add my own using my "funnel". A few paper towels strategically placed on the trunk floor soak up what little fluid spills. Works for me.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I just use the little jug the dealership gave me for free when I bought the car.

I cut off the locking mech at the top and unscrew it and fill it up, then refill using a 2 gallon jug.

No mess but a little time consuming.

Regards

danielsza

TDI
Can't they order it, because that's what I had to do. Everything came from the Ft. Worth warehourse.

Or you could order the 10 litre bottle from VW. I have a suspicion its the same bottle as IDParts told me the cap was 1.5 inches in diameter, which would be about right. Don't know for sure about it or others though as I buy my DEF using 5 gallon jerry cans. Maybe next fillup I'll break down and buy the Peak or other variant 2.5 gallon bottles in a auto parts store.

Well I found out the the GM and the VW bottles do not fit the MB hose.

danielsza

TDI
I finally went to MB in mississauga and picked up one of the old p/n bottles...

now I just have to drive more... only 3800kms on it so far

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow. What was a good deal just became not so good. Glad I ordered mine right away when the link went up.....

passatti

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Btw, DEF fluid has rather short "shelf life", so you may not want to buy the fluid until you know you will need it soon.

It would seem shelf life is little over a year, when stored between 10F to 90F, and up to two years if stored under 75F.... All containers should have manufacture and/or expiry date.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Btw, DEF fluid has rather short "shelf life", so you may not want to buy the fluid until you know you will need it soon.

It would seem shelf life is little over a year, when stored between 10F to 90F, and up to two years if stored under 75F.... All containers should have manufacture and/or expiry date.
That's a good reminder. I added a note to the original post for this. Thanks.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
i was debating whether to get the hose/jug deal or just the kruse bottle. i ended up getting the 1/2 gal kruse bottle from local dealer because it was only $8+tax, much cheaper than i expected.

the 2.5 gal def at walmart is less than $15. i will just reuse the kruse bottle to fill the tank. i feel this is probably more economical than the mb hose/jug option? only hassle is kruse bottle only holds 1/2 gal, you will have to fill the bottle a few times to fill up the tank.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
i will just reuse the [1/2 gallon] kruse bottle to fill the tank. i feel this is probably more economical than the mb hose/jug option? only hassle is kruse bottle only holds 1/2 gal, you will have to fill the bottle a few times to fill up the tank.

Well yes as you and others pointed put of course that and some other ways are cheaper. This isn't the cheapest option its the most error proof one. ;)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well yes as you and others pointed put of course that and some other ways are cheaper. This isn't the cheapest option its the most error proof one. ;)
Yeah- which is why I went for the 2.5 gal. bottle / hose deal when it was $42. The Kruse bottle, which would have been my previous choice, means that at the 10K OCI (a logical place to top up the AdBlue tank), I'm going to need, mas o menos, a 2.5 gal jug of the stuff. That means I've got to refill that Kruse bottle five times. No thanks. In this case, convenience trumps price*. I hook up the hose, drain the 2.5 gal. in, unhook, and done.

*And the price difference, remember, isn't $42 - $8. I got 2.5 gal of AdBlue into the bargain, which means it's $42 - $23. Nineteen bucks? Yeah, works for me.

toddoxley

TDI
Titan Black, 2006 Jetta TDI

I paid 37.56 for the hose and the ADblue at Mercedes Benz Arrowhead, Peoria , AZ. Thanks for the post.. Hose fits perfect onto my 2013 Passat TDI.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
OK - so I went out and got this hose attachment, but am unable to get the official MB adblue jug since they are just not available here, and no-one will ship one because urea is considered Haz-Mat by the powers that be. Puleeze! And it will not fit the more common Peak DEF jugs either. However, I did determine that a regular water or fuel jug type of container has the same threads, so it'll be an easy matter to get it refilled at a bulk dispenser. Now on to the real problem.
Anyway, I was not impressed by the assembly of this tube and connectors. First of all the outer black corrugated tube is solely dependent on a so-so not-so-tight friction fit with its mating end connectors, and to me, a leak waiting to happen. This is the as-delivered fitment:

So I got some 5/8" ID clear tubing, cut a piece to match the length of the black tube and secured each end with some black nylon tywraps. The center tube is an air vent tube that will allow the transfer of air from the ad-blu tank to the dispensing container to ensure a complete and relatively fast and gurgle free urea transfer through the outer clear tube. This is the improved tube arrangement (over the black corrugated tube) that will allow you to view the transfer of fluid:

However, when I tried to move some water from the bulk jug to the fitting that would attach to the ad-blu tank, nothing came out. There is an open annulus in the jug-side fitting that will allow ad-blu to enter the clear outer tube. Curious, and glad that I wasn't actually using urea, I took apart the ad-blu tank end fitting. This is how it looked when removed from the connector:

Pulling off the rubber grommet shows this (the blue piece is just to improve contrast):

There are slots that are covered by the rubber grommet that should conceivably allow the ad-blu to dump into the receiving tank, but the way that it is currently configured, there is no way ad-blu can transfer. When this is tightened onto an ad-blu tank fitting, the rubber bushing is compressed between the flange on the internal fitting and the inside of the connector cap. The air vent tube fits in a snug bushing within the fitting, so no ad-blu can come out that way either. The internal piece is smaller in diameter so the way I envision it, the ad-blu 'should' come out of the slots and into the receiving tank on the car. I am considering cutting some openings in the rubber bushing that will align with the slots in the plastic piece and actually allow the ad-blu to move through the fitting into the tank.
Has anyone actually used one of these yet? How was your experience - was it a slow or fast transfer or nothing at all? Did the urea transfer through the center tube or the outer tube (in case I got this thing totally backwards!). This thing only cost about $12, so I'm not too concerned about hacking it up a bit to actually make it work as I envision it is supposed to function. The rubber bushing needs to be the length it is as it forms the seal between the fitting connector (that screws onto the ad-blu tank) and the internal vent bushing. The way this thing is now, it will not work. Comments?

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The last time I filled the DEF tank in our car I used a cheepie bag in a box w/ a hose solution I got at AutoZone. By listening carefully as I was filling I was able to brim the tank without spilling a drop :confused: :eek:

-J

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Has anyone actually used one of these yet?
Nope, that picture in my first post is a figment of your imagination. :p ;)

It pours at a rate I can't describe nott slow but not fast. As to which tube it flows through no idea. I just know it doesn't leak.

Last edited: