Compounds for the Passat

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've been poking at this project for a while. I put some time into it this weekend, took a big step toward finishing. The next time it starts, they'll be installed :cool:

Turbos were properly selected to be paired with a 1.9L TDI to have the widest power band possible up to 6000RPM.

First step is to break 300hp at the wheels, hopefully I can break 350. Will probably limit torque to 400ft-lbs in attempt to keep things together.

-zamppa-

TDI
Audi Allroad 4BH V6 TDI/6M, Compound charged Golf 3 AHU, Passat 3B5 TDi 4motion, Typ1 & 636B
Finally something else than vnt17-swap..

Would you like to share more information about those turbos? Which injectors you have planned to use for fueling?

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
That's awesome!
What turbos are they? Is that a BV43?
Can I buy your GTB2056VL with manifold etc please if the turbo is still good?

Last edited:

Boyka

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a4 avant 3.0 tdi Remap
Very good job! I love your project.
Suscrito greetings.;)

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
What an amazing build !

I am looking forward to seeing some dynoprints.
So BV43 as HP and what is your LP turbo ?
How do you plan to make your waste-gate (HP by-pass) work ? With EMP or boost ?

I had in mind a GTB1752V as HP with a KKK K26 as LP for a budget compound build...

I guess you would need at least 12,5mm headpump (or even 14mm) + 0,350 nozzles to provide enough fuel for this monster air blowing system :D

It's good to see another big build coming on TDIclub

Good luck

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks guys, I'm using an 11mm IP with 5x.013" nozzles as of right now. We'll see where that takes me.

Boyka

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a4 avant 3.0 tdi Remap
This configuration is for racing or daily driver???
Greetings.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
GTITDI, it would be even easier in a mk2 because you can stack the turbos much easier.

Boyka, more along the lines of daily driver but I daily a 2009 JSW. It should be at least as driveable as a stage 2 setup except for the clutch.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Looks great Jon. I'm curious about your use of the EGR port for your HP bypass WG. Is that going to be big enough? By the size of the tubing coming out of it I would assume you opened it up significantly. But even then, big enough with enough gasket surface remaining?

I appreciate your engineering simplicity. The best designs are usually the most concise IMO :D

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Right now its stock diameter, I plan to start out like this to intentionally restrict flow. The smallest available external wastegate is pretty large. Option 2 is to install a limiting stop screw into the wastegate to control its opening. I cut the ID of the plate to the ID of the gasket I had here. Its still smaller than the tube ID.

There isn't a lot of area to open the EGR port up, worst case I have to weld some NI99 to fill some areas on the manifold so I can port into it.

Jon

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
I was also a bit worried about EGR port size.
Maybe it would have been even better to weld a flange for external waste-gate like on most gassers manifold for higher flow but turbine of BV43 is capable of approx. 220hp flow before needing the by-pass to open for releasing EMP so all-in-all I think that this setup has a lot of potential !

Well done sir

EDIT : too late, you've already answered

A5INKY

TDI
I see. Will be curious to hear how well that works.

Of course it is only from the pics, but it looks like it could possibly be packaged even tighter by moving the WG to directly over the EGR port. Also, if the HP VNT actuator could be moved or at least replaced with a "dumb" one (with heat shielding), the compressor housing could be re-clocked ~225 degrees clock-wise to feed the HP from above. Or do you plan to use inter-stage intercooling?

BTW, thanks for posting this up. Looks like a great project.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
One thing you can't forget is that you have pressure post turbo as well. We're working with pressure differentials and pressure ratios, etc.

The wastegate doesn't fit directly over the EGR port, that was my original idea. Its strategically placed where I can access it easily from the bottom.

It is actually a very tight fit in the Passat. Having a HP with an actuator in a different location would help so I could stack the turbos without rotating it but it shouldn't be bad. Its nearly impossible to clock my HP without lots of fabrication.

Keeping the VNT controlled by VNT without having the wastegate take over will be interesting, I have a plan for it, and the EGR port hole being kept small is part of the plan. Other implementations of wastegate over VNT basically turn the VNT turbo into a wastegate turbo and the advantages are nullified.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Nice!

What do you think you will see for boost?

Lot of room on that side of the engine in that car, so that helps a lot.

Isnt this some rare car or something:cool:

Last edited:

A5INKY

TDI
...Its nearly impossible to clock my HP without lots of fabrication...
I was actually thinking more along the lines of re-clocking the LP. Though, that might only be of benefit if you do not plan on interstage cooling.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I see what you're saying and I could possibly do that already. I have had that in mind, just haven't decided where to go with it. I might chop an inch off and weld a cast elbow to the compressor housing to make routing a little easier.

I don't plan much for interstage cooling, if anything it'll be water injection.

Jon

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Good to finally see some progress Jon, parts and plans have been sitting around for a while now :) Also good to see someone building a TDI compound with more than 38lbs/min of air available ;)

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
Are you planning to by-pass the HP compressor at high RPM or inlet of BV43 is not too restrictive for airflow in your opinion?

Any plans for the internals of your engine?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
They are sized pretty much perfectly such that its 100% compound, When the LP stalls, the HP stalls making a combined 45psi at 6000rpm. No bypass necessary. This particular LP turbo isn't efficient at high pressure ratios.

I'm pretty sure I've had these parts for close to a year now :)

ETA - Rosten rods and PD130 pistons are already installed.

40-45psi to start. Turbos will be capable of over 60psi.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Right now its keeping my axle lubricated :D

It will be going into the downpipe however.

I'll be running an AEB oil pan - I welded a -8AN bung to the existing turbo drain hole.