www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 16th, 2014, 17:20   #16
XtreemLee

IMHO, I've survived the worst Wisconsin winters without blocking the grill. Idaho is much milder but I wouldnt be blocking the grill...
XtreemLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 19:32   #17
DRbillZ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-usual:41-42 max:47; Jetta:usual: 44highway

Always remove this kind of stuff...always.
-2002 2.0L gasser Jetta 125,000
-2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 13,800 miles DSG
DRbillZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 20:13   #18
Black11TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: AVG 44

VW needs to fix this BS, they wonder why their customer satisfaction is so low, they need to look solely on their Service Depts, I get calls each time i fill out surveys because I refuse to give 'all tens" like they demand I do. Last time with my DSG issue myself I gave all 1's both the manager of the dealership and VWoA called me, the dealership has basically said I am no longer welcome at the dealer because I called out a ton of BS to VWoA on them.. and I sent a friend in there with a serious issue my VagCom pulled up, and the dealer refused to take my diagnosis and charged my friend $300 to say the same thing and another $1200 to fix the issue. If it wasn't for different things, I would take my car to Canada to the #1 dealer in British Columbia. At least I can get straight answers. OP call their bluff, stand you ground, get other dealers involved. when you get the survey fill out out with low numbers and check the boxes for have VWoA contact me, they need to start hearing this, and maybe we can get results. My local dealer like to scam people, most new CPO's have a $50 copay, and he tries to say its for each problem by not having parts in stock so you have to come back 3-4 times and charge diax fees and the copay each time.. Glad I know what I have learned from this website, I now do 90 percent of the work....
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:32   #19
wilcharl
Veteran Member

Not that I want to take the dealers defense here, but my rule when showing up for warranty work is to be dumb and give them no reason to deny a claim.

They are a profit center for the dealership and are sharks. If you drive in with your grille blocked, right or wrong its opening up an opertunity for them to snap down on you. If you mention anything to them about anything they are going to use it against you.

Plus for every VW loving user that knows more and has a better skillset then the dealers techs, there is at least another shadetree mechanic rolling in there doing his own oil changes with (insert brand here) oil because thats what he always uses etc....
wilcharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:58   #20
DRbillZ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-usual:41-42 max:47; Jetta:usual: 44highway

^^ This. Why give the person you are going to 'fight' ammunition to use against you? Duh! You lost the battle going in. Take the blame. YOU messed up, not them.
I put the foam in front of my grill and drove a total of 1 mile with it there. The car hesitated like crazy with it in there. Took it out and most likely never will use it. Who knows more, VW engineers or some idiot(excuse the inference) on this site?
I'll side with the engineers pretty much every time. I've read so much crap on car and dirt bike sites to know most of the bs you read is just that....bs. "Oh but 'dieselcarguy2457' said to do it.". Yeah dieselcarguy2457 flips burgers at McDonalds for a living so...
-2002 2.0L gasser Jetta 125,000
-2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 13,800 miles DSG

Last edited by DRbillZ; February 17th, 2014 at 09:04.
DRbillZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 14:41   #21
wilcharl
Veteran Member

Amen DrBillZ Amen!
Old February 17th, 2014, 15:15   #22
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Ok, giving them ammo is not a great idea. But if trans never overheated, then that whole discussion is moot.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 15:51   #23
ticketed2much
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRbillZ View Post
^^ This. Why give the person you are going to 'fight' ammunition to use against you? Duh! You lost the battle going in. Take the blame. YOU messed up, not them.
I put the foam in front of my grill and drove a total of 1 mile with it there. The car hesitated like crazy with it in there. Took it out and most likely never will use it. Who knows more, VW engineers or some idiot(excuse the inference) on this site?
I'll side with the engineers pretty much every time. I've read so much crap on car and dirt bike sites to know most of the bs you read is just that....bs. "Oh but 'dieselcarguy2457' said to do it.". Yeah dieselcarguy2457 flips burgers at McDonalds for a living so...
There are valid reasons to use a grill block, diesels have been doing it forever. Vw engineers are the people who designed the emissions system in the first place, but they are not the ones who you deal with when you have your car repaired. Vw dealer mechanics are generally known to be poor quality.

That said, the OP should have taken it off before going to the dealer.
ticketed2much is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 18:21   #24
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
Why did you tell them you blocked the radiator? There are some things they just don't need to know. NEVER give them ammunition to blame the owner............
Totally agree. My wife's Golf when she first bought it new(Has since gotten rid of it)had the false neutral thing going on. When she took it to the dealership for the fix they told her it was caused by her ScanGauge II plugged into the OBDII port. They backed off when the TSB came out for a re-flash of the brains. They were stumped as to how this little gizmo could show EGT for regen heads up and turbo boost.
Old February 17th, 2014, 18:28   #25
homer8869

TDI(s): 2009 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRbillZ View Post

The engineers dont always get it completely right. Sometimes the guy flipping burgers is passionate about solving an engineered problem and does so using good old ingenuity. My experience in life is, the smartest man in the room isn't always the one with a fancy title.
homer8869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 19:34   #26
wilcharl
Veteran Member

To them you have taken a vehicle that was designed to operate under certain parimeters (down to way below zero) by automotive engineers in Germany and modified it.

Specifically, you defeated the purpose of the cooling system. Right or wrong, and its true effects on the DSG aside, you defeated a key system of a vehicle. Now you have a problem and they have good reason that I think even a judge or arbitrartor would side with VW on.
Old February 17th, 2014, 20:56   #27
jahlov420
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg combo driving

should've gotten a stick
Old February 17th, 2014, 20:57   #28
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahlov420 View Post
should've gotten a stick
That really helps a lot!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:15   #29
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

When running in really cold temps truckers block off their grills routinely with good results. Should we do it? Sure, in very cold weather when the engine has a hard time reaching operating temp, but be prepared to unblock the grill immediately if the temps warm up.

I knew a guy with a little gasser pickup that thought he wanted to be like the big boys and blocked off his grill, got stuck in traffic and severely over heated his engine.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 07:27   #30
steve05ram360
Veteran Member

I have my lower grille blocked with highs in the mid 70's, coolant temps never get above normal. IATs get as high as 114*f... No worse than summer temps. With the grilles unblocked and climbing a grade i have seen coolant temps over 220*f with the dummy dash gauge still at 190.

If your going to use a grille block as temps warm up, get gauges so you know whats going on...

WTB MK6 stock airbox, PM me if you have one.
steve05ram360 is offline   Reply With Quote