Bad washer fluid sensor? [New Rain-X formula not compatible with VW level sensor]

edman007

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
So I got a 2012 Golf TDI and last week the add washer fluid light came on and I filled it up (about 3/4 gallon) with the same stuff I've been using for the last two years, rain-x brand washer fluid, and the whole winter I've been using the winter stuff good to -25f (lowest it got this winter was about 5f). Anyways I filled it up and for the last two days the light has still been on, so I checked the tank and I can see fluid still in the filler neck so it's not low at all (and not leaking).

Is this a bad sensor? Could the fluid have caused this? Anyways it should still be under warranty (only 25k mi), I'm just wondering if anyone has seen and issue like this, should I just take it to the dealer?

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Pull the connector on the sensor and see if it's corroded. At least it's a place to start. Or the connector may just be loose

inwerds

TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG w/ pano
Just got my 2014 back from the dealer with the same issue. Apparently DO NOT EVER USE ANYTHING except the blue stuff. My car is 8 weeks old and the orange stuff corroded the sensor and needed to be replaced. Good luck

sent from space

rob c

TDI
2011 sportwagen dsg
yup. orange rain-x got me too...

I have the same issues...

Check this out - http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72581

Which washer fluid are you using? I have two thoughts on what caused this. Polar Vortex or newer version of Rain-X with darker orange with new formula.

Going to VW tmw for washer fluid sensor.
I also had the light come on after using rain-x. Think there is something about it in the owners manual (that, or a wise vw independent mechanic told me to use only vw recommended fluid, can't remember which)....
So does this mean the sensor is toast? Or is there a way of flushing the tank and replacing with approved? - other than just purging by using the washer lever to empty the reservoir?

If toast, I guess I will just put a piece of black tape over where the needs washer fluid icon appears.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Strange, I have had a dozen gallons of various color rainx through mine, in fact it's the only thing Ive ever used besides the 3 fills the dealer added in its first 30k.. (80k and 3.5 years now)

maybe the sensor was changed after '11? definately check the sensor plug for corrosion. I can't fathom washer fluid is so different as to cause a simple level sensor to fail.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
read the other thread, seems like its a vw vs *new* rainx problem, glad I got a whole nother gallon of the old stuff lol..

I don't notice my rain x until I drive an untreated vehicle, that stuff works wonders, people who drive / ride in my car also notice, I would disable my sensor vs go to a non sheeting action windshield treatment even if I had to club the baby seals whose tears make the stuff work myself!

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
anyone have any help on replacing the sensor? I need to do mine but not sure what the best plan of attack is.
Thanks
Jamie

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The new Rain-X formula (recently changed) is not compatible with VW's electronic level sensing probes. It coats the probes with water repellent and effectively insulates them electrically.

You can not use Rain-X with VWs (or anything else that uses electrolytic probes) anymore. If you change your sensor, it will just end up fouling the new one if you continue to use Rain-X washer fluid. You can use anything except the new Rain-X.

You can clean your current sensor off with a mild detergent to remove the buildup of water repellent on the sensor probes.

If you're mad about this, write to Rain-X. They're the ones who changed the formulation... it has nothing to do with VW.

Last edited:

The Savage

TDI
'13 Jetta Sportwagon
My sensor failed after using the winter Rain-x formula. I've been driving around with the idiot light until the fluid was mostly gone and I could work on it. It was really easy to fix.

For my sportwagon, I had to jack it up and remove all the cover panels on the underbody. The sensor was just a pressfit into the reservoir so I pulled the whole thing out instead of disconnecting the electrical connector.

The sensor is is two prongs of exposed metal. When fluid touches them, them short out indicating there is fluid present. When the fluid is low, they no longer short and you get the idiot light.

The prongs on my sensor were covered in a sticky orange film from the rain-x. I presume this just provided enough resistance to inhibit the sensor from shorting completely. So, I just cleaned it off with an alcohol based electronics cleaner and the probes looked shiny and new. I gave it a quick test in a cup of washer fluid and it worked!

Super easy to do, no need to pay to replace the sensor if its gunked up, just clean it!

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
I found Rain X just messes up my wipers, and makes them judder. I use Einszett, and while it is more expensive it is great. Also as far as beading/sheeting I found washing my windshield with Optimum No rinse works better than Rain x ever did!

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
rain-x will make them judder until the wipers are coated too. Takes a couple applications.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I found Rain X just messes up my wipers, and makes them judder. I use Einszett, and while it is more expensive it is great. Also as far as beading/sheeting I found washing my windshield with Optimum No rinse works better than Rain x ever did!
Yeah I'm going to be buying some Einszett the next time I order stuff from Amazon. While Rain-X (the orange stuff) is good at sheeting the water off, it sucks at bug removal... plus that whole incompatibility thing. ;)

D_Squared

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2D 6M
I love this forum. My idiot light has been on for about a month and I finally decided to search it out and I find the cause and fix of my problem. Silly RainX. Now to find the time to fix it.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
The VW Washer fluid STINKS. I cant stand the smell. Will not allow the dealer to top mine off. Would rather use gas station brand washer fluid.

Hogger

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
How are you all?!
I'm new here, but not at all new to cars, driving, boats and bikes. Been driving for better than 40 years coast to coast. Was a British Leland mechanic in the '70's.
Let me tell you a thing or two about Rain-X.... Worst thing you can ever put on your windshield bar none. Yeah, it makes the rain blow right off like you never needed windshield washers really good. Fantastic as a matter of fact! I see you have all been noticing that the orange stuff covers your sensors and makes it stop working by insulating them from sensing the fluid in the reservoir, that's just fortelling you of things to come. To all of you users of that magnificent Rain-X, have you ever noticed that at dusk your windshield seems to have a haze on it making it difficult to see. The same gunk that is all over your sensors insulating them, is now all over your windshield. You are now addicted to Rain-X. Not because it's the best windshield washer fluid in the universe, but because if you ever switch and go to the plain old blue stuff of any brand, you'll always have that haze on your windshield, even when it rains. It doesn't matter if you use the Rain-X washer fluid or the wipe on treatment, it does the same thing. In short, you will never, ever, be able to see clearly out of that windshield again. Those who have experienced it know what I'm talking about, it's really hazy, like I'm amazed people haven't been killed because of it (well, they probably have, just nobody ever attributed it to not being able to see out the windshield because of Rain-X).
Now for the bad news.... You cannot get it off! (at least off the windshield, don't know about the sensor).
I've tried ammonia, vinegar, even acetone! nothing touches it. the ONLY way you will ever fix the situation is by breaking the windshield and having it replaced with a clean one that Rain-X hasn't been used on. This is no joke. I have bought several cars over the years that have had the Rain-X treatment and I just couldn't wait 'til a sander truck came by me in the winter spewing rocks all over the place so I could say that one of those rocks broke my windshield, just so I could have it replaced. (I buy full glass coverage with my insurance).
So those of you who wish to see for yourselves and love that sight of the rain flying off your windshield (that you can see in the daytime) give it a try, but don't say I didn't warn you. You see Rain-X is worse than heroin.... at least with heroin you have to try it several times 'til you're hooked.... not so with Rain-X.... One use and you're hooked!

By the way, I've just bought my first 2012 JSW TDI on Saturday and I'm picking it up on Thursday... Can't wait! Been shopping for just the right one for about 3 months now!

phlip

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Never used Rain-X

Bought our new 2014 Jetta Sportwagen in October. A few weeks later, the low fluid light came on. Fluid visible in neck of tank, so went to dealer. They figured that I had used something other than VW approved washer fluid (Rain-X). Cleaned sensors. Light on the next day. Replaced sensors. Light came back on. Cleaned sensors again. Light came on soon thereafter. Replaced sensors and flushed/cleaned tank. Light is on again! Hello? Shall we look little further? Dealer delivered car to me from another dealer with 320 miles on it. We have never added anything to any reservoir on this car!! This is not a Rain-X problem!