www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 30th, 2014, 13:42   #1
Dr. Raoul Duke

Fuel Economy: Too Early to list
Default What New in 2015/2016 Passat

Anybody have any inkling of what is coming down the road. Are we EVER going to see 4 Motion again in a Passat or any of the other VW's other than possibly an SUV? Better headlights? Improved Bluetooth/Camera????????????
What does the future hold purportedly.

Dr. Raoul Duke

"One Mans Ceiling is another Mans Floor"
Paul Simon
Dr. Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 13:53   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

Who knows....

What I can say is the Passat concept car at the Detroit Auto Show did have different LED tail lights (not identical to the Chinese market ones), light coding that seems like it might let those lights work on a USA car, and a carpeted hat shelf.

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 15:30   #3
kulak

TDI(s): Passat NMS

Probably just a couple of the luxury parts and features offered in Asian markets. It seems like there is a tunnel for a drive shaft between both rear seats.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 16:10   #4
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Aside from a brand spankin new TDI Engine.. Who knows?
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 17:25   #5
mihneagabriel

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

Anyone know if it would be worth it to wait for the 2015 or get a 2014 right before the 15s are launched?

Anyone have info on the new engine?
mihneagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 17:33   #6
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

I doubt they will change the engine in the passat for 2015.
Old January 31st, 2014, 17:45   #7
AtlantaRene

The Blue Motion gasoline turbo with DSG looks interesting. (Please don't flame me)

A wagon is rumored but I doubt it's going to happen.
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:03   #8
dlb
Veteran Member

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...etails-for-u-s

Looks like new TDI engine for the 2015 model year .... boost to 150HP.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 06:54   #9
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...etails-for-u-s

Looks like new TDI engine for the 2015 model year .... boost to 150HP.
Well...that is interesting.

Last edited by kydsid; February 1st, 2014 at 06:57.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:49   #10
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softrockrenegade View Post
I doubt they will change the engine in the passat for 2015.
If I were in the position to buy now or wait for a '15 with potentially a new engine, I'd buy now. In fact, I was in that position and that is part of the reason I bought a 14 instead of waiting.

The first year of anything is the year that's most probable to have issues. The last year of something is most likely to be the most reliable.. Look at TDI history... The 2003 ALH is widely regarded to be the best year. The 2009 Jetta was the first year of the common rail - it had a different exhaust system from the 2010+ cars that in the event of a DPF failure was going to cost $4k in parts to replace vs just replacing the DPF. The late 2013 / 2014 Passat has the upgraded turbo that is different from the one that seems to me more failure prone in the 2012 / early 2013 models.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:08   #11
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I would say that 4motion is unlikely in a Passat. The Passat's main competitors don't offer it, and with VW's push for mass market (cheaper), and the government's push for CAFE (adding weight doesn't help), I don't see it happening.

Golf will see it in a few specialty models (like the R32), but again, the extra weight and friction is bad news for CAFE.

The new engine is the same one that the MQB-platform (Golf 7) is using; this is so that the engine is common between all vehicles. Out of any of the current TDI-powered vehicles, the Passat seems to be the one with the bugs ironed out the most. Balance that with the first-year uncertainties mentioned above.

Sooner or later the entire vehicle will move to MQB, but that's a full redesign, which is probably still two or three years out.

I would like to see the 1.4 TSI (gasoline) engine with cylinder deactivation happen, though ... It may render the TDI somewhat pointless, but I am in favor of "whatever works".
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 17:09   #12
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

My Jetta Hybrid Sel Premium has that 1.4 engine doesn't have cylinder deactivate though.....and the 7 Speed Dty clutch DSG the car is nice!!

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 21:08   #13
Nuttendiesel

From autoblog.com

After generations of Passat sedans designed more to European tastes and needs, Volkswagen finally let loose in 2011 with a larger and less costly model engineered specifically with the North American market's tastes in mind. The Chattanooga, TN-built four door launched well on the strength of a couple of awards and serendipitous supply problems for VW's Japanese rivals, but it has since lost some of its sales momentum as a number of newer and fresher-faced competitors have emerged on the scene.

"We are quite aware that we have to do something to keep the car fresh in the market."

VW is keen to recapture some of the Passat's initial momentum, and officials believe it's going to have to dig a little bit deeper than its traditionally minimal midlife retouches in order to put the model on more consumers' shopping lists. We sat down at a roundtable with Michael Horn, VW Group of America CEO and Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neußer, head of VW Group powertrain development at the Geneva Motor Show today, and the executives confirmed that a "big facelift" is coming for the 2016 model year. "We are quite aware that we have to do something to keep the car fresh in the market," said Horn, who notes that the redesigned model will incorporate "a lot of new features, drivers' assistance systems and so forth."

No powertrain alterations were disclosed, but at the very least, there could be some significant visual changes in store. In fact, more significant mid-cycle changes could become the norm for VW, which traditionally has limited its alterations to things like modestly new light fixtures, wheel patterns and paint finishes. VW sees larger changes as a growing necessity, believing that it needs to shift the longer lifecycle philosophy it has had success with in Europe and in China. The expectations of US customers are "a little bit different," argues Dr. Neußer, "...they need a little bit shorter reworks of the car. Perhaps not so deep within the technical side, but more oriented to a fresh outside, to fresh designs. We are actually changing our philosophy on this."

The current Passat's crisply tailored looks have aged well, but they've also been dinged for being too restrained and derivative of the smaller and less expensive North American Jetta. Noting that some competitors have recently been taking bigger aesthetic chances in the historically conservative family sedan segment, Neußer acknowledged, "We are a little more conservative, but very precise. But we will move a little bit more into the direction [of progressive design] ... but not a u-turn, a correction."
Nuttendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:49   #14
JackMars

Fuel Economy: 4.9L

LED lights and new powertrain for the 2015 to come out in October of this year. No details on the interior changes. Hopefully someone at VW reads this forum and will fix ALL mistakes before shipping to the dealers.
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:37   #15
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMars View Post
LED lights and new powertrain for the 2015 to come out in October of this year. No details on the interior changes. Hopefully someone at VW reads this forum and will fix ALL mistakes before shipping to the dealers.
I'll believe it when I see it.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote