Low SAPS or High SAPS? Whats the dif yo?

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
What are the differences between Low SAPS and High SAPS oil?

Is one recommended over the other in our application?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If your car doesn't have advanced aftertreatment like a DPF -- your `97 doesn't -- there's no need for a low SAPS oil. Non-low SAPS oils (not calling them high-SAPS) will have higher quantities of anti-wear compounds which almost invariably contain P or S, like ZDDP and MoS2. I'd rather have maximum wear protection in my older vehicle than the latest letters on the API classifications.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Alright. Good to know.

It just crossed my mind and I couldn't find any info on it here and though others may wonder.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
If your car doesn't have advanced aftertreatment like a DPF -- your `97 doesn't -- there's no need for a low SAPS oil. Non-low SAPS oils (not calling them high-SAPS) will have higher quantities of anti-wear compounds which almost invariably contain P or S, like ZDDP and MoS2. I'd rather have maximum wear protection in my older vehicle than the latest letters on the API classifications.
Alright. Good to know.

It just crossed my mind and I couldn't find any info on it here and though others may wonder.
If we are talking API oils, CJ-4 oils, since 2006/2007, have no issues with protection. For Euro oils, pick a 0w40 or 5w40 and run it with no hesitation.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I was inarticulate in my post. Happens more and more these days... API classifications is not the best example to illustrate my point but I'll go with it a little further before I make my salient point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#American_Petroleum_Institute (not an infallible reference, I know, but bear with me).
All the current gasoline categories (including the obsolete SH), have placed limitations on the phosphorus content for certain SAE viscosity grades (the xW-20, xW-30) due to the chemical poisoning that phosphorus has on catalytic converters. Phosphorus is a key anti-wear component in motor oil and is usually found in motor oil in the form of zinc dithiophosphate. Each new API category has placed successively lower phosphorus and zinc limits, and thus has created a controversial issue of obsolescent oils needed for older engines, especially engines with sliding (flat/cleave) tappets. API, and ILSAC, which represents most of the worlds major automobile/engine manufactures, states API SM/ILSAC GF-4 is fully backwards compatible, and it is noted that one of the engine tests required for API SM, the Sequence IVA, is a sliding tappet design to test specifically for cam wear protection. Not everyone is in agreement with backwards compatibility, and in addition, there are special situations, such as "performance" engines or fully race built engines, where the engine protection requirements are above and beyond API/ILSAC requirements. Because of this, there are specialty oils out in the market place with higher than API allowed phosphorus levels. Most engines built before 1985 have the flat/cleave bearing style systems of construction, which is sensitive to reducing zinc and phosphorus. Example; in API SG rated oils, this was at the 1200-1300 ppm level for zinc and phosphorus, where the current SM is under 600 ppm. This reduction in anti-wear chemicals in oil has caused premature failures of camshafts and other high pressure bearings in many older automobiles and has been blamed for pre-mature failure of the oil pump drive/cam position sensor gear that is meshed with camshaft gear in some modern engines.
North American owner's manuals might list API CF-4, owing to what was current at the time in which they were printed. IMO, people are under a false sense to base their oil buying decision on simply having the latest API classifications without knowing more about the whys and whats of each succeeding classification - and they're not expected to; it is the supposed experts at the sales counters and professionals servicing their cars who should know this and give appropriate advice to the owners.

Moving on from the API specs for better examples: the OP's `97 and my `98 specify oils meeting VW 505.00 and ACEA A3/B4. Putting VW 506.xx or 507.xx -- even though they are supposed to be backwards compatible to 505.xx -- are clearly NOT in the best interests of wear protection for older engines. Ditto using an ACEA A5/B5 oil in place of A3/B4 particularly because of lacking HTHS viscosity (2.9-3.5 mPa.s) for one.

The take home message is DON'T buy oils solely on a misguided belief that higher letters or numbers always mean better.

I'm currently using Castrol Syntec 0W-30. The bottle states it meets VW 505.00, ACEA A3/B4 but "only" API CF-4. The latter spec and the viscosity might ring alarm bells with some people, but I'm confident it will fare no worse than a latest CJ-4 oil missing the VW and ACEA designations. The data sheet for this product shows HTHS of 3.5 MPa.s, the minimum required for ACEA A3/B4, but at least meets it.

By the way, it was -21°C two nights ago and -26° last night in my locale and it's only mid-December. I'm very glad I went with the 0W-30.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
^^^well said
I'm currently using Castrol Syntec 0W-30. The bottle states it meets VW 505.00, ACEA A3/B4 but "only" API CF-4...
Does it actually have the "-4" or is it just CF? That's the way it used to be. I can't remember seeing an oil with VW50x and an API other than CF.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
You're right - CF (don't have the empty bottles anymore, just going by what's on the interwebs :eek: ). Oh noes, my engine is going to blow up! :rolleyes:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
For an older TDI, a 5w-40 or 10w-40, high SAPS oil (CJ-4/CI-4+ or VW 505.00), would be my choice.

TS

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
+1 on using High SAPS 10W40 or 15W40 in older (pre 2007 or deleted) diesels as well.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
Low-Saps uses a different additive chemistry that is compatible with newer diesel and gas emissions systems. I would not confuse different to mean "less".

KB3MMX

TDI
98 Jetta
LOW SAPS = Lower Protection, DPF emissions friendly

HIGH SAPS = Higher Protection, NOT DPF Friendly....

"SAPS" ...or the "additive package" that protects the engine from wear......isn't friendly with DPF's, thus a Emissions Friendly "LOW SAPS" version available.

Regarding older API certs, CI-4+ had higher engine wear protection than the new CJ-4 standard....for similar reasons.

rhhsiao

TDI
2012 VW Golf DSG
LOW SAPS = Lower Protection, DPF emissions friendly

HIGH SAPS = Higher Protection, NOT DPF Friendly....

"SAPS" ...or the "additive package" that protects the engine from wear......isn't friendly with DPF's, thus a Emissions Friendly "LOW SAPS" version available.

Regarding older API certs, CI-4+ had higher engine wear protection than the new CJ-4 standard....for similar reasons.

Based on the comparison tool from Lubrizol, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm curious as to what data suggests the CI-4+ certification has better wear protection than the newer CJ-4?

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com...tives/100132RPtool2012Deploy/rp/hd/index.html

CitoriTrap

TDI
05 golf, 10 Jetta
Not trying to hijack, but I have choice of Low, Mid, High Saps for my 05 PD golf. I would like to use the High Saps for the Anti wear protection, even if it is a 505 oil & my car recommends Mid Saps for 505.01.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
For the folks that make reference to Lubrizol's Relative Performance Tool, note the opening paragraph on the web page:

"The performance charts are not a literal translation of a performance specification and should not be used as a replacement for evaluating engine oil performance in accordance with the relevant vehicle manufacturer's requirements."

If it were as simple as choosing a oil from the chart that shows the most coverage then there wouldn't be much discussion about lubrication. But, it isn't.

Last edited: