www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old December 28th, 2002, 23:34   #1
Tortuga

Default Cage for our Jetta Wagon

Hi there;
We are expecting delivery of our Jetta Wagon (TDi, GLS with the works) in about a month or so, and we haven't had much luck with finding info about cargo cages, y'know, those partitions that separate the hatch cargo area from the back seat. I saw on the VW site that they have one which appears to need hardware (and screwing into the trim, is that right?) to be installed, plus it doesn't look worth the price. I've seen some nice ones around, in the back of Subarus and Focii, and thought I'd see if there are people out here who can help us find a good one for the 2003 wgn. We have two wonderful dogs who would just jump at the chance to scratch up and puke on the new leather, and much as we love them, we'd rather they didn't.
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 04:50   #2
Clueless One
Veteran Member

Default Re: Cage for our Jetta Wagon

Do you get any of the pet catalogs? Places like PetSmart, and Dr. Smiths carry the pet barriers. Some are a one size fits all. Using rubber suction cups on spring loaded rods to keep it in place.
Clueless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 21:14   #3
MITBeta
Veteran Member

If you love them, you will belt them in the car:

www.canineauto.com

Plus, try:

www.messdefense.com
MITBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 22:52   #4
Tortuga

Thanks for the advice Clueless One, and the links MITBeta--I'll definitely invest in some harnesses and the cargo barrier (and probably the mat they sell as well, since I can get all those for the cost of that ONE crappy barrier they sell on the VW product site) and I found the perfect belated Christmas present for my Dad:horn with PA to harrass other motorists. Woo-hoo! Everybody wins, thanks again!
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2002, 20:20   #5
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by MITBeta:
If you love them, you will belt them in the car...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Works great with dogs. But cats are not very receptive to those devices. I bought my cargo barrier at PetSmart. I use thick cardboard between the cage and the headliner to prevent divots from forming. I fold the seat down (Jetta) and give them the run of the back of the car. Then they can use the litter box, sleep in their carriers, or lounge in the back window. I had one close call on the highway which caused me to swerve. One got scared and pissed herself. But no one was injured. Sure, they may be screwed in an accident (then again, I'll bet they can hold on tight with those claws in all but a serious accident). But I'll have bigger things to worry about if I enter a situation like that.

[ December 30, 2002, 19:22: Message edited by: Stealth TDI ]
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2002, 21:38   #6
Dmorocco

I have the universal type that fosters and smith sells. screw tension holds it in place, only problem is that it limits access to the cargo area under the rear floor (spare tire area) I too thought about the vw barrier (which wasn't available when i got my wagon) but for the money its a bit crazy. I'm in the process of altering the cage so i can more easily access the storage area and to stop some rattling of the cage as well
Dmorocco is offline   Reply With Quote