MKIV TDI Valve Job with Lots of Pics

Kruso

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV Jetta TDI Red, MKIV Jetta TDI Green, MKV Jetta TDI Silver DSG.
This past summer I picked up two Jetta MKIV TDI's (one for myself and another for my younger brother). The second one I picked up, I ended up posting this thread about it below regarding the possible causes behind bent valves.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4248738#post4248738
I've since been extremely busy with life and hadn't had a chance to follow up so here are my findings, some of you guys might find this useful in the future. There were no "stretched valves", that caused the problem, based on the receipt that was given by the shop owner posted below:

This entire issue was caused by a slipped timing belt and the culprit was this connector that was found wrapped around the main crankshaft gear on the bottom that was no doubt fell inside the timing belt cover by one of the workers. If you look closer, you can still make out the tooth marks where it came inbetween the belt and the gear.

When I put these two pieces together, it made more sense, its the outer casing for one of the electrical connectors in the engine bay.

The slipped timing belt resulted in the bent valves. The shop owner knew about this, as the timing belt alignment would've been the first thing the mechanic would've checked for and seen but proceeded forward carrying over this lie about "stretched valves" because he didn't want to own up to his mistake. Below is the stress cracks found on the lobes of three of the valve buckets which were crushed in-between the cam and the pistons.

The gentleman who I purchased the vehicle from was very forth coming with the details of this vehicle as I purchased it with the head disassembled. Upon acquiring the vehicle, I noticed there were parts off the vehicle that were missing that should have never been touched including the starter and tons of misc pieces. I was put into contact with Keaton Scarlott over at W Auto Works as that was the shop responsible for what happened to this vehicle. I spoke with Keaton several times over the phone and went to his shop three times which is approx 100 miles round trip away from me, we were only able to catch him twice. I was able to secure a starter and two intercooler/ intake pipes. Due to the amount of time I was wasting waiting on Keaton, I gave up on the rest and ordered it new online. I proceeded to read all his reviews online and was perplexed to find them mostly all positive.
Keaton was very quick to point out his side of the story... the gist of which was how the previous owner proceeded to perform a "burn out" in front of his shop for a mile straight causing the valves to get stretched and engine losing compression. I didn't say anything to Keaton to let him know how I found the plastic connectors wrapped around the timing gear and the shattered buckets which could only result in a slipped timing belt.

There was also an issue of a "injection pump" that the previous owner had been sold on the idea of having replaced because it was leaking. Apparently a new "upgraded" higher flow pump was installed which I never received due to an issue of payment between the owner and Keaton. I can understand that except the old pump which I received in the transaction is not leaking in any shape way or form.
It took a a few weeks, primarily waiting on the new parts to come in the mail and have since successfully driven this TDI cross country without a single issue. I have extensive technical background and am an engineer by profession. I grew up building high horse power Supras. These diesels are different in design but all basically the same principle. I've been a contributing member on Supraforums under the same alias for over a decade with nothing but positive feedback. In the past my brother got burnt by this trusted TDI list but wasn't smart enough to keep the receipt, I didn't want that to happen here again that's why I took my time typing this up. I tried my best to write this out as factually as possible... watch who you guys take your cars to... even in the community there are questionable characters.
Below are some random pics of me putting the head back together, new seals, new valves lapped and installed for your viewing pleasure.

http://s676.photobucket.com/user/Kruso/media/IMG_1518_zps3a94eb20.jpg.html

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Is Keaton listed in the Trusted Mechanics thread?
Did you find where the mangled connector came from?

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Looks very clean, but did you really rebuild your head on the kitchen countertop? Are you married, because if the answer to both those questions is yes......

Just saying, I'd watch out for flying frypans whizzing past your head.

MT204

TDI
05 JETTA
Very nice photos.
I pointed out to my wife that..what a nice work bench, granite counters and all.
Got to the last post I was not the only one to notice.

Kruso

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV Jetta TDI Red, MKIV Jetta TDI Green, MKV Jetta TDI Silver DSG.
I'm not married guys. Keaton is present on the TDI trusted list thread.

Last edited: