www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:15   #1
vwfern

Default Water Level Sensor False Reading

I've got an '02 jetta wagon 5spd with about 184k miles on it. For the past several winters I've been getting a water level alarm as soon as I start the car when the engine is cold. Once it warms up a little and I turn it off and re-start the light doesn't come back on. The light does not come on when the engine is warm.

I've replaced the temp sensor and thermostat and flushed the coolant. The coolant level is good.

Thoughts?
vwfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 08:36   #2
Rxfire
Veteran Member

Yep, common with ours when cold, too. Same deal, drive to end of driveway, turn off, turn back on, all is well. I slightly overfill coolant during winter, seems to help
2 each 2003 GLS Jetta Wagons (White/tan leather and White/black leather), 5 speeds, Panzer plates, roof rack cross bars (hers), homelinks, 520 nozzles, ventectomies, trailer hitch (mine), VR6 front springs (hers); 1 inch lift kit w/ESP (mine) 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel, 1985 Isuzu P'up NA Diesel
Rxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:51   #3
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Replace the expansion bottle. The probes get gunked up, are nearly impossible to clean successfully, and the bottle is cheap. Mine did this as well and a new bottle stopped it.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 17:21   #4
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Or if you're tight clean it with an old toothbrush, that seems to have worked well for a number of people but I think the tank is cheap anyway.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 17:34   #5
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

I tried that and it helped for a little while but you can only get to part of the probes with the brush (not the bottom half) and the problem comes back.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 20:18   #6
MT204

TDI(s): 05 JETTA

Funny thing.
A couple of days ago the wife said she started the car (first really cold morning) and the low fluid light came on. She turned it off to look in the owners manual to be sure but when she started it up all was, and has been fine.
About an hour later got a call from the kid. He wants to know what the one warning light was (same year TDI). He shut the car off, when he started it all was well again.
Both had correct amount of antifreeze in them.
MT204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 22:10   #7
halocline
Veteran Member

Mine does the same thing, I tried cleaning the sensor probes, didn't work, someday soon I'll replace the coolant expansion tank.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote