www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old November 21st, 2013, 08:17   #1
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI
Default Chemical Reaction Kinetics of EGR in an Internal Combustion Engine-A Layman's Analogy

Consider the combustion in the cylinders of an engine as a dance in a big hall. The oxygen (O2) molecule is a girl. I'll consider myself a fuel molecule and another group of guys as nitrogen (N2) molecules. In a room of, say, about 21% girls, 78% nitrogen and 1% fuel -- which reminds me of my University days, but we didn't even have it this good with 21% girls -- the nitrogen and the fuel are all in competition to pair up with the girls, but each at different rates of success: oxygen and nitrogen don't find each to be other attractive mates at all -- kinda like dating a sibling -- and have rather slow chemical reaction kinetics -- unless it gets REALLY HOT in places, like over 2000C -- so they pair much less easily and frequently than fuel, where there's definitely lots of chemistry . Also, the incestuous offspring of nitrogen and oxygen are quite nasty, called NOx. If you pack the dance hall with more or fewer number of people (increase/decrease the pressure) but keep the percentages of the girls, nitrogen and fuel the same, your chances as a fuel molecule pairing with a girl remains about the same.

On the other hand, suppose now a whole bunch of other people come to the dance - goths, stoners, LGBT, eunuchs, etc., but also a bunch more nitrogen joining them. They have no interest or ability to pair with the girls; we'll call this group of people EGR or "inert species." Nevertheless, they pack the room and now the mix of people is about 10.5% girls, 39% nitrogen and 0.5% fuel from the original group and the rest (50%) are EGR. The party atmosphere in the dance hall has taken a decided turn for the worse with the presence of EGR; the reaction kinetics of the whole dance has been disturbed. Now girls almost don't pair at all with nitrogen, and even I am finding it more difficult to find a girl on the dance floor and when I do, it takes a lot more time and effort to pair with a girl successfully and the result is rather less passionate.

The important part is, the pairing of nitrogen and oxygen are greatly reduced or almost eliminated, so that we get a lot less of their nasty offspring NOx.

This is how EGR works in a dance hall - I mean, internal combustion engine.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; November 21st, 2013 at 12:27.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:34   #2
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

LOL. I love this explanation Dave. Now, can you explain how EGR is NOT a big, bad, boogie man to your engine, in layman's terms?
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:00   #3
darkscout
Grammar Scout

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Pretty sure I used the exact same analogy almost 5 years ago somewhere. I need to find that post.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:16   #4
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Too bad all those stoners just walked through mud to get to the dance hall and leave a trail of filth wherever they go.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:19   #5
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Sad news is, some of the offspring of the complete and successful consummation of fuel and oxygen (CO2 and H2O) become EGR... Soot are fuel/oxygen's quick lustful romps in a dance hall with far too much- or poorly distributed fuel for the available girls. When soot come back as EGR, like the dirty way in which they were created, they don't bother to clean themselves in the corridor to the dance hall and they cake up everything in their path.

Now, if the bouncer outside (EGR valve) locks the door shut to the EGR entry line, none can enter into the dance hall, but a lot more NOx leaves at the end of the night. Newer dance halls have a screening room on the way out where the soot are imprisoned and burned in eternal damnation (coming out as reformed normal offspring of fuel and oxygen (CO2 and H2O), the rest as garbage ash that must be purged from time-to-time lest they fill-up and clog the screening room). When they come back in to the dance floor in the future, the hallways are a lot cleaner since there's a lot less soot in the first place.

Some dance halls also have a type of additional room in the exit where NOx, the incestuous offspring of nitrogen and oxygen, get born again by a baptism of reductant (urea or HC), heat and a special bed of Zeolite or rare-earths - depending on reactant - to yield nitrogen and less-noxious species before going back out to the world.

You don't want to know what are HC and CO in this analogy... .

Anyone want to tackle explaining HCCI in similar terms?

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; November 21st, 2013 at 13:50.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 21:33   #6
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

This is awesome.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:10   #7
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

So, I suppose defeating an EGR is the equivalent of raw dogging any girl you can get your hands on, damn the consequences.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:16   #8
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
So, I suppose defeating an EGR is the equivalent of raw dogging any girl you can get your hands on, damn the consequences.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I'm OK with my engine not eating its own feces in an attempt to recycle it, like some dogs do.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:18   #9
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout View Post
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I'm OK with my engine not eating its own feces in an attempt to recycle it, like some dogs do.
Dogs detect undigested protein and don't want to waste it. They are much like Prius drivers who hypermile.
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:49   #10
pete 1234

TDI(s): sharan
Default egr

hi can any tell me if a small vacum leak from the brake servo can cause the egr valve not to work properley,the problem im having is lack of power 3rd and 4th auto gear box thanks pete
pete 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:05   #11
robnitro
Veteran Member

EGR also allows you to have higher dynamic compression with less parasitic loss.
Example:
You run 1.3 bar absolute boost for IQ of 20 (around what stock does).
Without EGR to get that intake boost of 0.3 bar the turbo needs to do X work to do Y flow at 1.3 PR. Power is work times time. In a turbo, that is basically pressure ratio * flow.

With egr on, stock EGR map says 560 mg/s so it will reduce the flow Y-some value (based on temperature etc). Boost is still 0.3 bar at the intake, but the flow is less... so less work done by the turbo, less loss of energy for the same dynamic compression.

Not sure whether EGR on or off in that condition makes more EMP or not, but that would also increase dynamic compression.
robnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:01   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Great explanations. Dances were much less complicated when I went to school.
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:28   #13
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Nice :thumbup:

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 15:18   #14
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

I almost snorted coffee all over my keyboard when I read that....

Quote:
Dogs detect undigested protein and don't want to waste it. They are much like Prius drivers who hypermile.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:28   #15
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Or TDI drivers who try to "hyperrange" on a tank of fuel!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote