Keyless lock/unlock not always working...

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Every now and again, I'll reach for my door (from the outside) and it won't unlock. Same thing when I get out, it won't always lock when I touch the handle. Anyone else having this? It worked flawlessly until a month or two ago, now I'd say 1/3 of the time it won't work. Especially frustrating when you're hands are full!! Anyone else encounter this?

I can't seem to find a pattern, heat, cold, it's not every other time, etc...

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
I notice mine does not work if I get close to both the front and back. The manual says it wont lock/unlock if you have your thumb on the outside and your hands on the inside of the door but I know if my thumb gets close to the handle it does not unlock. It also says if the batteries start dying you may have issues. maybe your keys are too far from the car. My car is only a few months old and only have 7000 miles on it so I have no clue how long the batteries last given proximity transmitters.

Ron

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input! (and keep it coming!) I'll have to play around with hand position. It sometimes even happens with my pocket with the key in it is RIGHT by the car. I forgot to mention, it also happened where I couldn't open the trunk, had to put down what I was carrying and reach for my key.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
Mine was working only so so. Then some days not at all. It used to be perfect for a long time. I called the dealer and asked what maybe going on. They suggested change the battery in the remote. I said oh maybe but push button range on the remote is great. So I decided to change the battery anyways. Problem was solved works great now.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Yup, I had the same issues kessy wouldn't unlock but would lock, changed battery with cr2032 dollar store battery and had to recode key from hidden door lock under handle.

Old battery showed 3V new showed 3.3V

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Take the cover off of the door that exposesthe key slot. Insert the key and cycle the windows down and up several times. Wait 30 seconds and then try the locks again. Please reply whether this worked for you.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll try that once it stops snowing :)

I thought of the battery thing too, but I figured the same thing: the remote works fine! May try that too.

flyerchic2000

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Nav Manual
Me too

Mine worked great for two years and then I started having problems. When I took my car in for 40,000 service, I showed them it wasnt working. They said they would re-program it and they did. It was working great for 5 days and now the touch unlock/lock will not work, not even the push buttons. But the car will start with push button. Every time I push the button on key, a red flashing light comes on. I can't remember if it did that when it was working properly.

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Put in new batteries. I was having the same issues for a few months, getting worse and worse. New batteries in the remotes solved it all. I didn't have to reprogram or anything, just new batteries.

Rob_TDI_13

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I have a 2013 TDI and only had 5000 miles on it when my car would unlock grabbing the handle but wouldn't lock touching the door sensor. After taking it to the dealer they had to call tech support and told them the kessy control module was bad. The dealer used the computer to check it and they confirmed it. They had to replace the control module and everything worked again. I just got it back from my 10k mile service today and I've only had the car a little over 3 months.

BenzBob

TDI
2014 Passat TSI SE
I have a 2013 Jetta TDI and my KESSY module went bad with about 4,000 miles on it. However, when mine went bad, the car wouldn't start when you pressed the ignition start button.....nothing in the car worked and I was stranded. The car now has about 6,000 miles on it and it has started doing this again even though KESSY was replaced once already. I have had the car about 8 months and each KESSY module seems to only last about 4 months. The dealer has the car now and this condition is intermittent so they can not reproduce this at the dealership. They want me to take the car back and wait until the module gets worse! The first time I had to have it towed in when it wouldn't start. The same thing is happening now as during the first total failure and they are not being proactive to replace it again as it hasn't TOTALLY failed. They are appealing to the VW Factory Rep and I am waiting to see what they decide to do. I have totally lost faith in KESSY with two modules both going bad and I wouldn't have it again in any future car. Just give me the reliability of a key and a ignition lock cylinder. I really need to say Bye-Bye to this car as it is not reliable and I never know when/where I will be stranded. VW should not put this stuff on their cars until they make it reliable and, at this point, I do not believe it is by my personal experience.

Rob_TDI_13

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I really hope I don't go through that. I really do like the convenience of never having to pull my keys out of my pocket for anything.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I swapped keys today. It unlocked OK (GOOD! cause it was COLD), but wouldn't lock when I got to work... I'll try the battery one of these days.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
There are also sensor sensitivity adjustments that can be made by Vagcom, but I think I would let the dealer handle that since you're still in the warranty period.

I do know that if I hit both sides of the handle, or want to switch from lock to unlock or visa versa quickly the system does seem to get momentarily confused and I find if I simply take my hand away for a second then try again it has straightened itself out.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I switched keys. I worked 95% yesterday... I find that when unlocking it's best to wait to hear it before you actually pull. Locking on the other hand, I still don't know...

TDIL

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech Package
This same problem started for me last week, of course right after I rolled past the 36k warranty coverage. The door handle sensors are sporadically not working, both lock and unlock. Remote buttons work fine. Just wondering if any of you reached a sure conclusion. How many of you who changed the remote battery found it to be a 100% successful fix? And if it didn't work, what have you learned since your posts? Thanks for any updates. KESSY is definitely one of those conveniences that you really notice when you no longer have it.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
This same problem started for me last week, of course right after I rolled past the 36k warranty coverage. The door handle sensors are sporadically not working, both lock and unlock. Remote buttons work fine. Just wondering if any of you reached a sure conclusion. How many of you who changed the remote battery found it to be a 100% successful fix? And if it didn't work, what have you learned since your posts? Thanks for any updates. KESSY is definitely one of those conveniences that you really notice when you no longer have it.
First off just change your battery. It's cheap fast and will rule out a low battery. Since I replaced my battery kessy is working fine. The old battery had plenty of range on lock and unlock as well. So perhaps replacing the battery resets the remote too.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Resurrecting an old thread... For anyone who replaced the batteries, did you have to reprogram it to the car? And if so, how?
Thanks!

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Got it done last night. CVS carries the batteries for about $5 a piece. They have a different letter in front (apparently a Duracell thing), but the number is the same (2032?). Had to google how to pull apart the fob, and it was different than what I found (must be an older key), but basically you open the key, and pull apart the halves down by the chrome loop. Simple. Now the keyless unlock/lock is working too! It's a Festivus miracle.

Oddly, even tho the dash said "Key battery" or "no key" when I got in, it still had enough juice to lock or unlock the car by pressing the buttons... At any rate, this was one of those DIY confidence builders for sure. Glad it worked out! Thanks for all the advice.

old bear

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Put in new batteries. I was having the same issues for a few months, getting worse and worse. New batteries in the remotes solved it all. I didn't have to reprogram or anything, just new batteries.
+1 The ONLY time my '12 let me down was about 18 months in when I returned to the airport late one night only to find that the KESSY system would NOT work. Long story short, replaced the battery in the remote and all was well. Two months ago the wife's key started not unlocked the door every time. Again, changed the battery and all is good. Suggest you swap your remote battery every couple years. They are cheap and it is good insurance to make sure the car's ready when you are:)

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
Similar issue Here

My Wife who primarily drives the car is starting to complain of this issue after about 2.5 years of ownership. She has an appointment tomorrow with the dealer. Lets see what they say.

I told her she has too much stuff in her purse....

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
My Wife who primarily drives the car is starting to complain of this issue after about 2.5 years of ownership. She has an appointment tomorrow with the dealer. Lets see what they say.
I told her she has too much stuff in her purse....
The new battery is going to be way cheaper then going to the dealer. You should change the battery first.

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
I threw and Engine code too: Exhaust Pressure Valve, and there is some recall now too with the rear suspension... I agree though battery should be the first thing to change on this issue.

moore.ba

Veteran Member
TDI
The new battery is going to be way cheaper then going to the dealer. You should change the battery first.
The dealer told me that the KESSY and the remote battery is covered under your warranty.

That being said, I just got mine back from the dealer today. They were unable to reproduce the symptoms. They also told me that they measured the voltage of the (remotes) battery and it was perfect.

Others online have reported that once the battery hits 2.9V the KESSY stops working reliably. I am going to take my key apart tomorrow and check it myself with the voltmeter.

More to follow...

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting. Mine is ticking over 60K as we speak, so who knows about warranty anyway... all I know is, my fob worked fine. I unlocked the doors with the button no problem. I'd get "no key" a lot and hardly ever worked touching the doors to unlock. Replaced the $5 battery now it works 100% of the time, without fail.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Interesting. Mine is ticking over 60K as we speak, so who knows about warranty anyway... all I know is, my fob worked fine. I unlocked the doors with the button no problem. I'd get "no key" a lot and hardly ever worked touching the doors to unlock. Replaced the $5 battery now it works 100% of the time, without fail.
It is so worth the trouble to change the battery. The dealer is not always right when it comes to "reproducing issues" lol.