www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 7th, 2018, 18:20   #31
naturist
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40native View Post
There's a lot of difference in the quaility of the DEF fluid out on the market but as long as you're buying a good quaility ISO certified DEF in a sealed container you should be fine. Contamination is the biggest issue with DEF. VW can only deny warranty strictly related to the part failed so if like your HHFP went out they can't use DEF as an excuse to deny warranty of a totally un-related part.
Sorry, nonsense. The composition of DEF is specified in the EPA regs. They are required to make it to spec, and they can't add any "special sauce," not even dye, to distinguish theirs from all the others. It is ONLY urea and distilled water, at a fixed ratio, and there are no variations allowed. The result is that DEF is a commodity, one brand is the same as any other. There is NO difference in quality. Buy the cheapest one you can find; you are getting exactly the same stuff as the most expensive brand you can find.

As for DEF vs. HPFP, at no point does the DEF come in contact with the HPFP, so there is never any reason why the one should have any bearing whatsoever on the other.

The only issues with DEF is (a) whether you are actually buying DEF, as some folks have been known to buy a jug, pour it into their truck, refill with tap water, and return the jug to the store for credit; and (b) when pouring it into the tank, some idiot has managed to add grease, oil, or plain water in the process. Some folks can't take a whiz without hosing down the entire room, you know what I mean?
naturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 20:54   #32
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

The system itself isn't the problem, it is that "no start" "no more driving" bullsheit that they are putting into the program. If there is an electronic way around that or they weren't so draconian, then these systems wouldn't suck so much. But the programming takes the position that if the vehicle is allowed to exist AT ALL without this tank of piss, then thousands will die, polar bears will melt, and the sky will fall.

Yes, the VW management lied about the pollution levels, but 12 times almost nothing is STILL almost nothing.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 14:01   #33
luther

This is what I'm using. Less than $8 for 2.5 gallons at Walmart.
The half gallon bottles are $15 / half gallon or $27 / 2.5 gallon at dealership.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Supertech...llons/44457724

Last edited by luther; March 2nd, 2018 at 14:12.
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 18:28   #34
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

I just put that Supertech from Walmart in my Golf a week or 2 ago - screw the flexible hose on the outlet of the jug, insert hose into DEF fillup port of car, then lift up and pour DEF into car until jug is empty. Easy peasy.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2018, 05:17   #35
Rico567
Veteran Member

I get DEF at Rural King. They've had several different brands (and, yes, they've been ISO blah-blah), and it's $6.99 for 10 quarts. Cheapest place I've found, and the car seems to like it just fine.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote