www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old October 27th, 2013, 20:44   #1
Btonns

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Arrow Annoying brake problems

I am new to the forums. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with 125k. I just had my mechanic replace the outer cv joint boots.

My front brakes were squeeking, so I had the rotors turned (before I knew VW rotors should not be turned). Also, I scuffed up the front pads with 400 grit sandpaper. I used silicone anti-squeal on the back of the pads. The squeeking went away for about 30 mins.

I ordered new Textar pads and rotors suggested by id Parts. I throughly cleaned the new rotors with brake cleaner, scrubbed the calipers, and hardware. I put silicone anti-squeal on the backs of the pads. I did a bed-in procedure as well.

Brakes now started squeeking 100 miles later. I drive over 500 miles per week for work, so it is quite annoying. I have replaced brakes on several BMWs in the past, so I am not a complete noob. I have Hawk pads on my e36 M3 that has over 30k miles and they never squeek at all. I was hoping to save some money by going with Textar.

I normally use copper anti-squeal, but Napa only had the silicone anti-squeal available.

I would appreciate any input or advice to help get rid of the squeeking.

Thank you!
Btonns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 17:34   #2
Btonns

Any ideas before I start throwing more parts at it?
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:20   #3
Barnitz
Veteran Member

Did you check the back brakes? VW Jettas are notorious for wearing out back brakes before fronts.
2006 Jetta 5-speed, GTB1749V from Darkside, Stage 2 Franko6 Cam, SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch with SMF, Malone Stage 2 custom tune w/Dynamic Idle and EGR Delete, Dieselgeek short shifter, EGR Cooler Deleted with Block-Off Plates, H&R Touring Cup Kit, ECS Dogbone Insert
Barnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 20:14   #4
Btonns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnitz View Post
Did you check the back brakes? VW Jettas are notorious for wearing out back brakes before fronts.
The pads are fine on the rear, but I am suspecting that I may have a warped rear rotor. I have new rear brake pads and rotors on the way. I am also going to check to see if the e-brake cables are adjusted too tight. Besides that, I do not know what else could be causing the squeaking.
Old November 1st, 2013, 20:53   #5
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

Are the guild pins moving freely?
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 20:56   #6
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

From your description the problem is not in the rear. With the amount of driving you do (long periods of pads floating on rotors) my assumption is one caliper is binding, causing excessive glaze on one pad. You can remove the glaze of one side to isolate which wheel, but I was taught to replace calipers in pairs to avoid uneven wear.
Old November 10th, 2013, 18:01   #7
Btonns

I replaced my rear rotors and pads as well. I noticed some resistance on the rotors, so I adjusted the parking brake cables. I used this guide and a Craftsman multi tool:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...t-vw-jetta.htm

It only took about 10 minutes to get access to the cables.

So far I have driven about 30 miles with no noise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!