www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old October 19th, 2013, 16:56   #1
dqman01

Default Vw jetta tdi air filter

Just had my two 2011 jettas serviced for the 40,000 mile service.the dealership only recommended to replace the air filter on only one of my cars,should I have the other jettas air filter replaced?is it a DIY job that I can tackle or has anyone have any tips on how to do it myself?
dqman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 17:21   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqman01 View Post
Just had my two 2011 jettas serviced for the 40,000 mile service.the dealership only recommended to replace the air filter on only one of my cars,should I have the other jettas air filter replaced?is it a DIY job that I can tackle or has anyone have any tips on how to do it myself?
It's easy. All you need are some metric Allen wrenches. I think it is a 7mm (IIRC). You loosen a couple of screws, lift off the air box cover, pull out the old filter and stick in the new one. Put the cover back on and tighten the Allen screws. That's all.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 00:40   #3
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Read your maintenance schedule. IDK but have heard that the replacement interval has been changed to 60K miles.

If you do need to change the air filter, it is a very easy 10 minute job with nothing more than a Phillips screwdriver.

IDK about the Allen wrench thing, but on my 2006, it is something like 6 Phillips screws to replace the air filter with an Allen wrench only needed to remove the entire air cleaner box.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; October 27th, 2013 at 00:48.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:47   #4
Trimmy
Veteran Member

My 2010 is like 6-8 phillips head screw. Took me longer to find the phillips head bit for 1/4" impact (was doing a complete service and my work bench was full of tool) then it did to change the filter.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:27   #5
kcunniff
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
Read your maintenance schedule. IDK but have heard that the replacement interval has been changed to 60K miles.
Even so, it never hurts to have clean filters. I am not sure how the air quality in Huntley, IL is, but I would gather it's pretty low in particulates (dust). Point being: dustier locales require more frequent air filter changes compared with less dustier locales. If you often drive on unpaved rural roads, you could be kicking up dust or driving behind someone who is, and this has the same effect. 40,000 miles seems like high time to change an important air filter, in my opinion.
kcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:17   #6
Votblindub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 Jetta

Air filters are cheap, I'd do it at 40kmi or sooner. They're not tough to do, give it a shot.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M trans and still getting 49mpg doing 80mph
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:21   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

The increased the interval to 60k (up from 40k) probably because much of the time the air coming into the engine is coming in via one of the two EGR systems.

No need to replace it early, and on the ice-cube's-chance-in-Texas that it was actually clogged up, you'd have a MAF error and the ECU would know something was up.