www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 12th, 2013, 10:37   #1
mk4rally

Default Wheel bolts conical vs ball for application?

I'm just wondering, the factory ball seat bolts fit fine on stock wheels but I'm running steelies..
With my wheel spacers I need all new bolts, wasnt sure if for plain black steelies, if ball seat is still the best option, or if conical is better because it will work with my aftermarket wheels in summer.,,,

I was told that the factory rims need ball seat bolts, which are fine... but what about normal steelies? They take either just as happily? Don't want to spend $100 twice for two sets of wheel bolts....

thanks.. please advise
mk4rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 12:01   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

If the steels are vw then they're the same ball ended things, it's usually just after market wheels that take the conical ones.

Seatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 12:13   #3
mk4rally

plain black steels.
no idea as to source
and im not sure about the difference, like if you use conical but should have used ball.. how bad/what effect results?

I ought to buy two sets just to be safe really.. and just avoid the problem, but its also possible that im using aftermarket black steelies with ball seat bolts right now, and they seem fine...
not an issue im familiar with.

Last edited by mk4rally; October 12th, 2013 at 12:16.
mk4rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 16:01   #4
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

They wont seat properly and might wear the holes down or something I'd imagine.

Seatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 16:48   #5
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

The steel wheels (I've not ever seen cone seat steel wheels) will be more forgiving of a contact difference (cone seat into spherical socket) than would an alloy wheel.
The VW factory alloys with which I have familiarity (mark2, mark3, B4, B5) all used the ball seat as well.

Aftermarket, non-VW, alloy wheels might use cone seat.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; October 12th, 2013 at 16:53.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:28   #6
Votblindub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The steel wheels (I've not ever seen cone seat steel wheels) will be more forgiving of a contact difference (cone seat into spherical socket) than would an alloy wheel.
The VW factory alloys with which I have familiarity (mark2, mark3, B4, B5) all used the ball seat as well.

Aftermarket, non-VW, alloy wheels might use cone seat.
This.

Steelies are ok with most things, the holes in them are relatively flat and there's room for either cone or ball. Aftermarket wheels are a whole different story. You should be ok with either.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M

2003 Jetta wagon, fuelly sig pic coming soon
Votblindub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:07   #7
captaincaveman

Just be careful. I have seen 2 wheels run off (1 off each of 2 different vehicles) from using ball seat on aluminum cone seat wheels. The contact pattern was about a 1/8" ring that was actually doing all the holding.
captaincaveman is offline   Reply With Quote