www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5)

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US).

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:18   #1
Ashleigh2006

Default New owner of a Q5 TDI

Howdy!

My name is Ashleigh and I am a long time driver of my own 01 Jetta TDI and my boyfriend's (redneck truck) Golf TDIs, Jetta Wagon TDI, A6 4.2, and TT TDI, BUT I am finally a proud new owner of my very own 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I've been a member of this forum for awhile, but am looking forward to hearing from the Audi side of things.
Ashleigh2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 13:59   #2
Redneck Truck
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Audi TDI club! It's a little bit quiet in here...

Please help me clear out my garage. PM me.
Redneck Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 19:32   #3
geoman
Veteran Member

congrats on your purchase. can you give us some details on the trim level? love to get my wife into one of these!
Old October 9th, 2013, 23:00   #4
track_warrior

Welcome, how are you liking it so far? My wife was between the Q5 Tdi and GLK250 but ended up with a 328d M-Sport, i know weird right.
Old November 11th, 2013, 22:05   #5
Ashleigh2006

I absolutely love it! Have already put 1600+ miles on it.

Standard trim level with the MMI navigation plus package.
Ashleigh2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:46   #6
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh2006 View Post
Howdy!

My name is Ashleigh and I am a long time driver of my own 01 Jetta TDI and my boyfriend's (redneck truck) Golf TDIs, Jetta Wagon TDI, A6 4.2, and TT TDI, BUT I am finally a proud new owner of my very own 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I've been a member of this forum for awhile, but am looking forward to hearing from the Audi side of things.
Hello neighbor,

How are you liking the Q5? Can you give any insight on regen frequency? The Q5 TDI is supposed to go up to 1000 miles between. Driving through stop and go Plano traffic my Passat TDI regens about every 200 miles.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:17   #7
CHDriver

Just completed the first road trip with the TDI. Started the trip with 238-mi on the odometer and ended with 1670-mi. Travelled from Atlanta, GA to Manassas, VA and return, which was a true combination of road-types. I estimate 70% of driving was on interstates (with cruise set at 77-mph) and remainder two-lane secondary roads (with cruise set at 62-mph). Also, did some city driving. The fuel consumption was better than expected. The first fill-up produced 26.9-mpg, second 32.2 and last 28.5. The MMI computer gave me an overall rating of 31-mpg. As the engine breaks-in, I expect that mpg to only improve. I noticed such an improvement in my Golf TDI. I'm a gentle driver, but do enjoy the torque and handling. I set the MMI to display the average mpg and instant mpg to control my emotions! The car handled beautifully! The hatch easily carried our weeks worth of "stuff." The wife stated that the car blows away our departing Acura RDX. Still working hard to understand how all the electronics functions and how to use them - no easy task! Can't figure out how to post picture!
2014 Audi Q5 TDI: PP, scuba blue, chestnut leather, MMI, side assist, rear side airbags, sport package, cargo mat, alum sat inlays & wheel lock kit.

2010 Golf TDI, 4dr, DSG, Blue Graphite, Xenons, Sunroof, Rear Side Airbags, Side Molding, CWP, Chrome Exhaust
CHDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:43   #8
CHDriver

Default 15,000-miles!

Just broke 15K-mi on the odometer, almost 1-yr to the date I picked it up from the dealer. Also had the 15K service done. Absolutely no issues with the car. It's an absolute pleasure to drive. I use "Fuely" (from day one) to track my diesel mpg and it just keeps getting better and better! MMI tells me my overall mpg is 30 and Fuely tells me it's 29. My best tank has been 34.5mpg. On the interstate with cruise set at 77-mph, I average 35.6-mpg. In town I get 27+! . Per Fuely, my average cost per mile is $0.12.

In the course of the year, I've added less than a quart of 504/507 oil and routinely use Power Stroke Kleen Diesel fuel additive. I check tire pressure every couple of weeks and drive at 34psi, one-lb over.

I got the AudiCare 50K maintenance package, so I should save considerably on scheduled dealer services.

Finest car we've ever owned!

2010 Golf TDI, 4dr, DSG, Blue Graphite, Xenons, Sunroof, Rear Side Airbags, Side Molding, CWP, Chrome Exhaust
CHDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 09:40   #9
Redneck Truck
Veteran Member

You might try bumping the pressure to 40psi - I suspect you'll see consistent low 30s and the car will feel more responsive at low speeds and in corners, too.

Edit: For example, my V10 Touareg's recommended tire pressures are 37 front, 40 rear, and at those pressures, the truck gets about 15mpg and feels like a boat, and the tires wear badly and need frequent balancing. With the front tires at 50 and the rears at 47, the fuel economy exceeds 20mpg, the truck rides much more smoothly and handles like a much smaller vehicle, and the tires wear more consistently and don't require balancing near as often.

Please help me clear out my garage. PM me.

Last edited by Redneck Truck; November 17th, 2014 at 09:48.
Redneck Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 15:33   #10
fowvey
Veteran Member

Just passed 20k here. I don't keep track on fuelly, but in a separate log and the lifetime has been 32.1. this is driven primarily city though, with occasional highway trips of 50 miles or less. 85 mph the computer showed 37.9 mpg on flat roads.

Car keeps running, much better than the jetta.
Old November 24th, 2014, 18:23   #11
Jim Williston
Veteran Member

TDI(s): silver 00 NB
Fuel Economy: approx 47 mpg

Hi Ashleigh,
Just joined the tdi club again after going inactive in 2005. I have just 7000 miles on my Q5 tdi since buying in May this year. Am averaging 32.7 mpg on mixed driving, and really like the car. Hope you feel the same about yours. Wife and I are retired , so we don't pile on the miles like we used to. We are planning a trip west in May, and hope to crack the 40 mpg barrier on this trip. Nothing but good results from the car to date. How about you? Any problems or issues to discuss?