unknown power loss????

fatbuck1911

TDI
98 jettta,97 passat,99 jetta
so i hjave a 1998 jetta tdi engine code AHU .want to remove the egr???? but also when im driving and it runs at a higher speed for a while you can feel the car lose about 2/3 of its acceleration and it will maintain this for the rest of the drive any ideas? o and also if i shut the car off and turn it back on it goes back to normal

Robert Beecher

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Limp mode sounds like to me. Mine does the same when i drive it too hard. Read up on it on here you can get some ideas of why. I just havent taken the time yet.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
If I remember correctly removing the EGR is going to make you re-route the coolant hose that goes to the cooler. You can just go ahead and use some block of plates :) Here is the link to them. You get two of those and block the holes where the pipe comes from the EGR.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=780
"I am in no way affiliated with idparts, just posting what I found first when searching."

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
"limp mode" is the perfect search term to use here... many different potential causes, hundreds of threads and lots of good reading.

In terms of the EGR, in the current era of ultra low sulfur diesel there's little if any reason to remove it, and if you do so you'll trigger a permanent Check Engine Light that can only be deleted by having your ECU reprogrammed.

fatbuck1911

TDI
If I remember correctly removing the EGR is going to make you re-route the coolant hose that goes to the cooler. You can just go ahead and use some block of plates :) Here is the link to them. You get two of those and block the holes where the pipe comes from the EGR.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=780
"I am in no way affiliated with idparts, just posting what I found first when searching."
my egr is molded onto my intake manifold unless im looking at the wrong place??

fatbuck1911

TDI
"limp mode" is the perfect search term to use here... many different potential causes, hundreds of threads and lots of good reading.

In terms of the EGR, in the current era of ultra low sulfur diesel there's little if any reason to remove it, and if you do so you'll trigger a permanent Check Engine Light that can only be deleted by having your ECU reprogrammed.
i just dont like the idea of pumping exaust into my engine. i feel like it would be more healthy for everything if it ran strictly off of fresh air. and i removed my cat. so i already have the check engine light problem

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Perhaps a tiny bit more healthy for the engine, although again the fuel is so clean these days it probably doesn't matter, and definitely less healthy for fellow citizens of the planet. :(:)

fatbuck1911

TDI
Perhaps a tiny bit more healthy for the engine, although again the fuel is so clean these days it probably doesn't matter, and definitely less healthy for fellow citizens of the planet. :(:)
well considering rockford is in like the top 8 worsty places to live i dont care about many of the people. lol but could i also bypass my ccv? and if so how?

fatbuck1911

TDI
this is gonna sound really stupid but where is my MAF located? is that why my rank is newbie lol

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
no bypassing the CCV! that is not good at all, you can however filter it. search provent in the forums.

schltz33

TDI
98 jetta tdi ahu
i have a 98 jetta tdi goes into limp mode and dealer told me either catalatic conveter or intake manifold was plugged for $268.00.Turns out my cam has play in it and slides 1/4 inch back and forth and now my timing belt is loose.Afraid my head,valves and posibley pistons could be damaged.Dealer told me just to keep driving it know it wont even run,the dealers took a guess and i had to pay for it with cash and the loss of my car that sits in my yard,useless to me.Try to take off your timing belt cover and see if you have slack in your timing belt,and use a screw driver to see if you can pry behind your over head camshaft gently to see if it is loose or sloppy.make sure belt is aligned properly so your car dont end up like mine.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
STOP TAKING YOUR CAR TO THE STEALERSHIP AND GET IT TO A GURU!

Sorry for yelling, but this is why they're called "stealerships" on here for a reason (the bad ones anyway). They haven't a clue and will just screw things up more, and you haven't either. No offense, but you need to have someone look at it who knows what they're doing. They wanted you to pay in cash so you wouldn't be able to dispute the charge since they KNEW it wouldn't fix the problem.

If your timing belt is loose you now have head damage to the tune of 1K at the minimum. You probably don't have piston damage, however. If your TB is slack (but not broken) you lost the tensioner, probably from being tensioned the wrong way. Who did the last timing belt and how long ago was it done. Please don't tell me it was the stealership that did the TB.

me very confused now :eek::confused::D

no bypassing the CCV! that is not good at all, you can however filter it. search provent in the forums.
Very confused? You said in this thread you started you were going to block (bypass) your CCV and now you're saying not to? That's why WE'RE confused, not sure about why you're confused.

this is gonna sound really stupid but where is my MAF located? is that why my rank is newbie
The MAF is attached to your air filter, unless someone has installed a cone filter, in which case it'll be somewhere between your air filter and the turbo.

Your status of newbie is solely baed on the number of posts. Your status on here has nothing to do with knowledge or experience.

Last edited:

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Very confused? You said in this thread you started you were going to block (bypass) your CCV and now you're saying not to? That's why WE'RE confused, not sure about why you're confused.
No Abacus, I did that and loving it! I blocked mine off just at the block but this guy is trying to bypass the whole thing! What I got confused at is what he was trying to do. I still do not think he made his mind because he keeps changing his mind.

Here is what I did for my CCV fatbuck... blocked the CCV on the block with a block off plate (I can find you one if you need one!) I got a 3/4inch elbow to replace my puck and re-routed the hose to my BMW Cyclone oil separator(god darn cheap and works the best!). The separated gases then goes to my intake and it cut some of the smoke from my exhaust :) Also I am about 90% leak free now. (trying to tap the weep hole and re-route it to my oil separator but cannot fit a barb without removing the manifold) I thought I had a bigger problem than CCV but no.

Sorry to wake you up to this Abacus :) good morning!

Last edited:

fatbuck1911

TDI
im just throwing options out there thats all. just want advice. because my knowledge on tdi's is very limited and iv been researching like a mad man. what id like is the healthiest engine possible. thats all im going for. and im tired of it burning oil.

fatbuck1911

TDI
im only getting about 47 mpg. and thats shifting at 2000 rpm. so im looking for ways to make my engine more efficient and healthier and how to solve "limp" mode which i will unplug the MAF today and see what that does.also i see alot on the forums about chipping your car. what exactly does that do? like does it increase the wear on the engine? does it change the fuel to air ratios?

fatbuck1911

TDI
No Abacus, I did that and loving it! I blocked mine off just at the block but this guy is trying to bypass the whole thing! What I got confused at is what he was trying to do. I still do not think he made his mind because he keeps changing his mind.

Here is what I did for my CCV fatbuck... blocked the CCV on the block with a block off plate (I can find you one if you need one!) I got a 3/4inch elbow to replace my puck and re-routed the hose to my BMW Cyclone oil separator(god darn cheap and works the best!). The separated gases then goes to my intake and it cut some of the smoke from my exhaust :) Also I am about 90% leak free now. (trying to tap the weep hole and re-route it to my oil separator but cannot fit a barb without removing the manifold) I thought I had a bigger problem than CCV but no.

Sorry to wake you up to this Abacus :) good morning!
could you find me the block off plate and the elbow just some links or something?

fatbuck1911

TDI
ok guys lol ur gonna hate me. i need an injector for a 97 passat one problem idk the engine code. because the person who owned it before me removed it from the belt cover

fatbuck1911

TDI
well i removed my MAF and got her to 3200 in 4th gear and it still lost power. is there some computer tool you need to read codes?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You have an AHU engine, but the 1Z and AHU were essentially the same. The injectors from an ALH will also work but the #3 uses a different electrical plug, so if you need that injector you will have to swap it.

Any code reader will work on your car.

fatbuck1911

TDI
i get the funny feeling that my intake manifold is all clogged up im at 250000 miles and i know its never been cleaned

fatbuck1911

TDI
You have an AHU engine, but the 1Z and AHU were essentially the same. The injectors from an ALH will also work but the #3 uses a different electrical plug, so if you need that injector you will have to swap it.

Any code reader will work on your car.
is there upgraded injectors? or a better set than stock? and if i replace one should i replace them all?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, there are upgraded injectors, do a search for which ones and you'll find a TON of information.

Yes, you will need to replace all the injectors if you want to upgrade them, or more appropriately, nozzles on the injectors. You use your injector bodies and either install the new, higher flow nozzles on them or send it out and have it done professionally (calibrated & balanced).

New nozzles really work best with a tune, from one of the reputable tuners on this board, but you can put down a LOT more power which means you will probably slip your clutch since it won't hold anymore. A good tuner will also turn off the EGR and other sensors you don't want sending a check engine light (CEL). A missing cat will not throw a CEL on either car you listed but the EGR will.

fatbuck1911

TDI
a good diagnostic computer. i want one thats gonna be correct and price doesn't matter at this point