www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 4th, 2013, 13:47   #1
lubemonkey

Default 1.9 TDI PD - Turbo issues and flattened pipe

Hi all,
I have a 2005 149k mile Skoda Octavia II with the 1.9 TDI PD motor. It's causing me some turbo issues and I'm hoping that you lovely people might be able to shed a little light upon the situation.

I don't have much knowledge of the TDI motor (motorcycles are my thing) but I'm learning fast....maybe.....

A couple of days ago while pulling hard away from lights, I heard a small pop sound, saw a puff of black smoke in the rear view mirror and the Octy turned into a slug. A driveable slug but a slug no less.
No warning lights on the dash. Turbo still whirring as usual when the motor runs but has a louder whine and a different "sucking" type sound. No smoke from the exhaust. Turning ignition on and off does nothing different (there is no running ok - it's pure limp from the get go). Local mechanic ran a diagnostic on it late yesterday and I have the following codes off him:

16683 - Boost Pressure Regulator
P0299 - Control range not reached

He has found no loose or split hoses, but the large flexible hose at the top of the pipes running from intercooler to the EGR gets sucked flat and stays flat when the motor is revving. It's fine up to about 1500rpm. It was right at the end of the day so that was as far as he got, though he did ask a diesel "expert" who said to remove and strip the turbocharger.

I posted this on the Briskoda UK forum and the few responses I've had point to a blockage somewhere between air inlet/airbox/intercooler/EGR.

I have only managed to check what I can see from above the motor, I can't currently get underneath it. So, air intake and pipe to airbox are clear. Air filter is clean, intact and there are no plastic bags or nesting rodents in the airbox, or the pipe leading out of the airbox in so far as I can get my fingers down it.

If I take the hose off the EGR, slug mode performance improves very slightly. Sounds fruity as hell too (which is nice). I was hoping that taking the pipe off would make a big change, but I'm guessing that having that pipe off would put it into slug mode anyway, so it's not that great a test?

The butterfly in the EBG appears to operate ok. Fully open all the time except for the 3 second close then open when the ignition is turned off.

I will be able to get under the car with a different mechanic tomorrow. He called his diesel "expert" and he reckoned it would be the suck flat hose that would be the issue.

Having searched on here and Briskoda, I realise that there are a number of components that could be causing issues. Vacuum pipes, N75, turbo actuator etc.

At this point I think I can boil this down to two questions:

1) Is the flattening hose most likely to be symptomatic of the problem i.e. there is a blockage in the pipes or intercooler for instance?

2) Should we just crack on with the oven cleaner turbo clean out method and see what happens?

Any help very much appreciated. I'm sure the drivers of the cars behind me going uphill at 15mph would appreciate it too!

Cheers, Lube

Any pointers very much appreciated.
Regards,
Lube
lubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 15:46   #2
lubemonkey

"The butterfly in the EBG appears to operate ok."

Should be "EGR" not "EBG".
Old September 4th, 2013, 17:20   #3
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Please get the engine code from the cambelt cover.
Old September 4th, 2013, 17:29   #4
lubemonkey

jcrews - It's a BKC if that helps. Can check code on cambelt cover in the morning - way past bedtime for me!
Old September 4th, 2013, 17:41   #5
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

You'll have to pull the turbocharger suction pipe and make sure the compressor is OK and that it spins.
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:35   #6
spesh
Veteran Member

Can't see what else it can be bar a blockage somewhere. If the inlet pipe is flattening it would suggest that there is a blockage downstream
spesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:03   #7
Henrick
Veteran Member

I'd suggest removing the lower boost pipe going to the intercooler (hot side). Then check if you get air pushed from the turbocharger (1) and see if the pipe is still flattening (2).
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:28   #8
lubemonkey

Thanks for the responses guys!
Got the Octy jacked up this morning. Took hot side boost pipe off the intercooler and a small puddle of oil dribbled out along with a couple of alloy chunks and some fine swarf. Looks to me like something has failed in the turbo, dumping oil and bits of it into the intercooler, which is now partially blocked, hence collapsing hose at EGR inlet. Looks to me like it'll need a new turbo and all the pipes and intercooler cleaned out.
Sound a fair enough assumption?
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:59   #9
Henrick
Veteran Member

Oh crap. You will need a new intercooler. Getting a used one from local salvage yards isn't a bad idea too. You will be able to clean all the boost pipes except the one going from the cold side of IC to the upside of the engine compartment -- due to it's shape. So you might get a replacement one too.

How is the oil level? Did the car run out of oil?
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:29   #10
lubemonkey

Oh crap indeed! Is cleaning out the intercooler impossible/impractical? Or is it just too much risk that swarf will remain and get sucked back into the motor?
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:35   #11
lubemonkey

Engine oil - there is no big change of the level at the dipstick. It was only a small say 3"-4" puddle that came from the hose.
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:38   #12
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Yep, figured it was the turbo and yes, clean the lot out and replace the turbo.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:12   #13
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Hope the OP gets his TDI going again. In the meantime I learned a new word:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/swarf
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 13:35   #14
Henrick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubemonkey View Post
Oh crap indeed! Is cleaning out the intercooler impossible/impractical? Or is it just too much risk that swarf will remain and get sucked back into the motor?
Too much risk, I'd say. I had a turbo failure on exactly the same engine as yours, last summer. Even I replaced the intercooler and really thoroughly cleaned all the plumbing several times, I was still getting small metal particles on the top of the boost pipe where it meets ASV and EGR valves...
Old September 5th, 2013, 16:25   #15
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Nah just replace the IC, we get them for like 10 second hand over here anyway, you can use them out of the 1.8T's too.

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote