Mk4 golf and jetta door panels the same?

veedubgolf00

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Just wondering if the panels will swap between cars with no modification. I'm mainly looking to do just the rears

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Yes, with some notes: 2 door Golf vs 4 door Jetta; crank windows vs powered; monsoon speakers vs non; and (IIRC) the shape of the connectors for the puddle lights changed somwhere early on...

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
4 door golf and Jetta rear panels are different and will not interchange. Wagon rear panels are also different.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Door cards. I had to swap the leather inserts from an 01 Jetta Sedan to my 02 4-door golf because the complete panels wouldn't swap directly.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
4 door golf and Jetta rear panels are different and will not interchange. Wagon rear panels are also different.
The Golf and Jetta door panels can be separated along a horizontal seam with a heat gun (they are plastic welded together). You can then attach the bottoms from a Jetta to the tops from a Golf or vice versa. (In other words, it's only the tops that are different.) Not easy but doable if you're having trouble locating the exact door panels that you want..

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Interesting! I observed the seam, but never thought to separate it. What's your time worth? :)

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
I dremel'd the plastic welds off and pulled these off the panels.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Did the same thing, except used a razor blade instead of a dremel. That plastic is practically liquid at room temp and I kept gumming up my cutoff wheel. Plus, razor blades have no spinning wheels to fragment and debris to inhale and get in my eyes.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
There's a DIY over at the 'tex, but I just searched and either it's no longer in the Mark IV Essentials DIY and Resources, or it's still in the original thread. It's the one where the poster does not dremmel or cut the glue tabs, but seperates the halves.

veedubgolf00

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Ok perfect thank you. I had a tan cloth golf interior and swapped everything to black leather with power and heated seats but wasn't sure if I was in for a nightmare hooking up the rear panels but sounds easy enough

TonganDiesel

TDI
2000 Black 5 speed manual 234k miles, 2002 Black auto Jetta 309K miles
Door cards. I had to swap the leather inserts from an 01 Jetta Sedan to my 02 4-door golf because the complete panels wouldn't swap directly.
Hi R-Truck, how or what clue did you use to attach the leather insert to the rear Gold door panel?