www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:13   #31
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I'll let the OP chime in, but in his original post: As the title say my TB broke and the tensioner loosened up.

At the Fest he said it was a bad TB install, tensioner was tensioned the wrong way. Lots of people helped out on it, to the point there were too many cooks in the kitchen, this truly is the best crowd. That's Lug-Nut's tow dolly in the background and the head BleachedBora brought with him on the plane. I think the tools belong to Matt_98AHU and I saw Paramedick over there a few times helping out. There were just too many awesome mechanics floating around for me to be in the way and I offered my tools but they already had everything they needed to build a new one from scratch.

Here are a few pictures of the repair:

I could only stay for the day so I wasn't able to grab more.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:06   #32
gutts
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 jetta
Fuel Economy: 41-52.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
IT LIVES!!!!!! I can't thank enough everyone that it getting my TDI back on the road I really can't. This truly is an amazing group of people.
Adam
I'm glad it lives . I hope it lives long and you prosper ! Fill us in on the details after you get home and have had some rest . I think you deserve a vacation after your vacation !!
Best
gutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:17   #33
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

That would be a vacation after a vacation in Vacationland!

Last edited by Abacus; September 2nd, 2013 at 11:19.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 19:47   #34
Hyde7278
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf GL

Glad it all worked out for the best.
Hyde7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 19:57   #35
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

At least it looked like you didn't have any rain. I think this is the first head/engine swap at a Fest (at least since I've been on the forum). Kudos and thanks to ALL the members that helped the OP get his car back up and running so he wasn't stranded many miles from home(I'm guessing around 1200-1300 miles)......
Old September 2nd, 2013, 22:07   #36
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Actually, it poured cats and dogs all afternoon. A bunch of us pushed the NB under a tent and he was able to continue working on it there.

This is Maine, if you're enjoying the weather, just wait a minute and it'll change on you.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:58   #37
RedDragon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Hey guys, we made it home safe and sound. We drove all the way thru getting home at 630am. The car is completely different to drive(in a good way) it's smoother, pulls harder and is even quieter.
'01 NB TDI 206k 5-spd swap - Malone stage 4, Titan 764, VNT-17 Turbo, 11mm pump, 3bar, DieselGeek Race Pipe, Neuspeed P-Flo, 18x8;10 Porsche Twists w/ BFG Comp2 tyres, 2.5" turbo back, 25mm H&R Rear Sway Bar, Eibach Pro System, NB TS bumper conversion
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:17   #38
tomo366
TDI Lifer

amazing!! That is great!! yes these amazing people!!
Hope to see you again soon when you can enjoy the FEST in a different way!!

Glad to see it end well.....You probably need to be talking to some folks....
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:28   #39
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Just came across this thread, great to see that people were helpfull in such a situation.

Amazing!
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:53   #40
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Adam,

You guys worked hard on that thing all weekend! Glad you finally got it going again, at the expense of a lot of blood, sweat, and missing show and shine! Hope you made it home okay - see you in Detroit, perhaps.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 14:19   #41
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

This exemplifies what TDIClub is. Car broke down on the way to the show, and with the help of many people at the fest, they got it towed there, replaced the head and TB. So the OP managed to make it there, and home (with a nice new head), because of this forum and the great people that frequent it. And he managed to get himself a Bentley manual in the raffle for his car so he can do the TB next time.
bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 14:23   #42
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

It's great, isn't it?

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 17:37   #43
Dieselboy

Fuel Economy: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman5066 View Post
This exemplifies what TDIClub is. Car broke down on the way to the show, and with the help of many people at the fest, they got it towed there, replaced the head and TB. So the OP managed to make it there, and home (with a nice new head), because of this forum and the great people that frequent it. And he managed to get himself a Bentley manual in the raffle for his car so he can do the TB next time.

Winning the Bentley manual in the raffle was the best thing he could have won!
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 18:58   #44
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

Let me tell ya, that car moves like stink now! He'll be needing an upgraded clutch next.
Old September 6th, 2013, 20:30   #45
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Bwa-ha-ha~!!!
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote