www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Old August 28th, 2013, 21:34   #1
RedDragon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly
Default Help emergency!!! TB broke

As the title say my TB broke and the tensioner loosened up. I'm being towed to the Midas in Rutland, VT the address is
207 US-4 Rutland, VT 05701

If anyone is on there way to the fest and can help me I'd be extremely greatful. I'm pretty sure a Midas won't have the ALH tools. My cell is 815.210.8790 text friendly because I'm wait on a tow call.

Thanks Adam
'01 NB TDI 206k 5-spd swap - Malone stage 4, Titan 764, VNT-17 Turbo, 11mm pump, 3bar, DieselGeek Race Pipe, Neuspeed P-Flo, 18x8;10 Porsche Twists w/ BFG Comp2 tyres, 2.5" turbo back, 25mm H&R Rear Sway Bar, Eibach Pro System, NB TS bumper conversion
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 22:31   #2
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Not sure what can be done for you, your head needs to be pulled and sent out for refurbishing.
Old August 28th, 2013, 22:42   #3
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

I don't know that it's a "good idea" but I can tow you from where you are at to TDIFest tomorrow if you want to pay for the rental of a uHaul tow trailer, I have a hitch and lighting on my Golf.
Old August 28th, 2013, 22:58   #4
RedDragon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzboys View Post
I don't know that it's a "good idea" but I can tow you from where you are at to TDIFest tomorrow if you want to pay for the rental of a uHaul tow trailer, I have a hitch and lighting on my Golf.
Ok I'm gonna call my dad in the morning. When is good time to let you know? I'm a long way from Chicago so I don't know if I many options anyway. I just had the head rebuilt in April lol ugh. At least if its at the fest there everyone there that knows what to do or not to in this case.
'01 NB TDI 206k 5-spd swap - Malone stage 4, Titan 764, VNT-17 Turbo, 11mm pump, 3bar, DieselGeek Race Pipe, Neuspeed P-Flo, 18x8;10 Porsche Twists w/ BFG Comp2 tyres, 2.5" turbo back, 25mm H&R Rear Sway Bar, Eibach Pro System, NB TS bumper conversion
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:09   #5
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

I probably need my head examined, but.....

I have a head kit on the shelf. Ditto all parts that go with it. Just gotta put in trunk, and pack specialized toolbox.

This would have to be a one-day hero project. I can do the high stuff, but need a low man for underneath stuff. Paved, or preferably concrete spot to work where we can make a short-term mess. Gravel will not do. Minimum of one set of skilled hands ready for a big day Saturday. Eric IS NOT coming, I'm solo this trip.

Someone else would have to bring us:
1) a good floor jack and a set of 2 ton jack stands. I WILL NOT do this on an engine support that is in the way.
2) Creeper would be nice.
3) Drain pans for oil and coolant.
4) Containers for used fluids, and haul them away

I would have to know something by 0700 to know to pack parts. I leave Kentucky 0800.

Truthfully, probably better at Herm's or elsewhere. I would have to have $$$ for my parts prior to leaving Maine. Can't take a paypal hit on this much money. Price is whatever Frank charges for this complete solution kit.

Last edited by paramedick; August 29th, 2013 at 03:28.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:55   #6
mainer
Veteran Member

http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/4032534321.html

You could probably talk someone into grabbing the head for you and bringing it to the fest...
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:04   #7
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

I'm leaving North Carolina in about an hour, still have 10 hour drive to get to you if you want me to tow you. Not sure if it is or isn't legal, but you would have to ride in your car while being towed or catch a ride with someone else, I'm stacked to the roof with stuff for tdifest

I was planning to help volunteer with preperations for the fest on Friday, but I could help out with the car instead. I've got a lot of tools, don't have a triple square set though

You aren't 100% on the way, if you want me to come get you thats fine, just give me let me know by this afternoon
678-535-7172

Last edited by AARodriguez Corp.; October 4th, 2015 at 19:25.
AARodriguez Corp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:58   #8
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I just spoke with Adam. I'm getting the tow dolly hooked up and prepped.
Adam's going to call Herm to see what other options might be possible for this week/ weekend.

The belt is not broken, but a loss of power on hills followed by the motor ceasing operating doesn't bode well. The loss of belt tension may have stripped belt teeth and been just as bad as the belt breaking completely.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:43   #9
RedDragon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzboys View Post
I'm leaving North Carolina in about an hour, still have 10 hour drive to get to you if you want me to tow you. Not sure if it is or isn't legal, but you would have to ride in your car while being towed or catch a ride with someone else, I'm stacked to the roof with stuff for tdifest
I was planning to help volunteer with preperations for the fest on Friday, but I could help out with the car instead. I've got a lot of tools, don't have a triple square set though
You aren't 100% on the way, if you want me to come get you thats fine, just give me let me know by this afternoon
Jon is gonna be on his way up with a dolly to pick us up. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Ill keep updates posted.

Last edited by RedDragon; December 16th, 2015 at 07:42.
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:06   #10
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I'm leaving momentarily.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:11   #11
RedDragon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I'm leaving momentarily.
Ok, stoppe by Midas, have keys in hand now.
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:58   #12
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Nice work Lug_Nut.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:06   #13
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Sounds as if there might be the opportunity at the Fest for a seminar on cylinder head replacement...

Between Paramedick and the other Gurus who will be in in attendance, RedDragon should be in good hands...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:54   #14
Herm TDI

If you guys need a cylinder head, bolts, gasket, coolant, and TB kit I have thos on hand. Let me know and I'll get these boxed up.

How many hole head gasket ??

Herm
Old August 29th, 2013, 15:00   #15
Metal Man

I'll be leaving PA at about 3AM Friday. If you think of anything else you need let me know.
Metal Man is offline   Reply With Quote