www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Old August 28th, 2013, 06:27   #16
Metal Man

I wasn't sure if we would bring the tandem this year, but it looks like there will be quite a few with bikes so we're in. Lug_Nut, you'll have to fight my wife for her stoker seat, but we could give it a try if you wanted to go for a ride. She recently had surgery on here arm so she was riding one handed for a bit.
Metal Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:06   #17
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Lug_Nut, so this isn't you?

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 17:39   #18
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man View Post
I wasn't sure if we would bring the tandem this year, but it looks like there will be quite a few with bikes so we're in. Lug_Nut, you'll have to fight my wife for her stoker seat, but we could give it a try if you wanted to go for a ride. She recently had surgery on her arm so she was riding one handed for a bit.
I'll pack the helmet, clothes, shoes and pedals on the off chance that can occur. I ususally ride a 56 cm road frame (32 inch inseam, size 11+ shoe). Would the tandem's 'engine bay' accommodate that swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Lug_Nut, so this isn't you?
Might be, his right hand is empty.
No, a unicycle is one thing I haven't ridden, nor even tried. Monocycle, yes, unicycle, no.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 17:44   #19
Metal Man

It's pretty versatile size wise, so it should be good.
Metal Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 19:00   #20
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Tommorw I will check out some local roads.On a early moring ride.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 00:38   #21
Nuje
Veteran Member

LugNut: Have you ever tried aerobars (a la tri-geeks)? Takes the weight of your upper body off the soft tissue of your hands and onto the skeletal structure (elbows).

I used to get numb hands after even 10-15 minutes, but since switching to aerobars, I can go 100km+ no problem (well, apart from some saddle-soreness and dead legs. )
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:33   #22
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

This is an injury that had come up in the past month. I had been hoping that it would be temporary and resolved by now.
I've had clip-on aero extenders but don't think I'm in the condition that allows climbing from the seated position that they require.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:07   #23
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
This is an injury that had come up in the past month. I had been hoping that it would be temporary and resolved by now.
I've had clip-on aero extenders but don't think I'm in the condition that allows climbing from the seated position that they require.
Climbing in a seated position, even without aerobars is good.... as you're actually more efficient.

Also helps to have appropiate gearing.... so I went with a 32T cassette in the back, with a compact crank up front.

...interesting... though I have a 32" inseam (though I'm 5'10") and I ride a 54cm road bike (endurance geometry)...
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:23   #24
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Climbing from aero bars isn't the best since your stability is reduced due to the aero position. I equate climbing to actually having to get out of the saddle, but I also have race gruppo on the bikes and not compact (53/12 to 39/25), so I'm out more than others.

I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam and I ride a 56 or 58, depending on componentry, a 54 is just too short and my knees hit often.
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:40   #25
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Aero bars are good for going straight,on the open road.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:05   #26
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
...but I also have race gruppo on the bikes and not compact (53/12 to 39/25), so I'm out more than others.
My straight cog days are long behind me now. 13-18 cluster with 42-53 rings? Yeah, back in my 20s and 30s. Now it's 13-23.
The mountain bike's granny is a 24 chain ring and a 28 cog in back.
Wait, it's worse than that! The rear is a 24 incher so that's even lower gear inches than a 26 or 29.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:20   #27
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

My road bike:
Compact crank (50-34, Shimano 105) with 11-32T cassette (Shimano XT RD)

Cross bike:
Cross crank (46-36, FSA Omega) with 11-32T cassette (SHimano SLX RD)

My MTB 29er
Triple with 42T removed (iirc, left with 32-24T) with 11-36T cassette
Old August 30th, 2013, 17:29   #28
Nuje
Veteran Member

I'm pretty comfortable with my 53/39 and 12-21 cassette, hardly ever use the 19 or 21 on the back. Most of the roads have at most a 6% grade around here, and I can power up that sitting without too much strain; once it goes to 8% and beyond (there are a couple roads around that have 8-12% pitches), I'm out of the saddle more than I'm sitting. And yeah - and 12%, I'm wishing for a 23 or even a 25 on the back.

I know that climbing while in the saddle is more efficient (going back to when I had the SRM PowerMeter cranks), but it feels good to get up out of the saddle occasionally, if only to prevent other body parts (more delicate than hands) from going numb.

Giant TCR Advanced SL with Dura Ace (compact frame design, size "medium" so it's a measured 50cm while my "normal" size is a 56cm).
Liked it so much (unbelievably smooth ride for a super-stiff frame), that after a couple years, I put the heavier wheels on that one and named it my rain bike, and bought a new TCR Advanced SL in the Medium-Large frame size (52cm measured, I think), which lets me stretch out and is just slightly more comfortable to ride. With Dura Ace drivetrain and some nice Bontrager XXX-lite bars/stem, as well as the Dura Ace C24 wheels, it rides 2-3km/h faster for me.
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:38   #29
NHgranite
Veteran Member

Steel is real. Espeshally when paired with Campy.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:46   #30
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

But titanium rides like steel without the weight and is more durable.