www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Old August 20th, 2013, 16:39   #1
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Default Road/Hybrid Biking

I'm bringing my road bike. Is there anyone else? The loop route I found is a total of 30 miles with the highest grade of 4%.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 17:02   #2
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I'll be bringing my $5 fleamarket 'commuter' as I don't know the availability of security.
What's the route you have in mind?

Maple Shade, eh? My third TDI (red wagon) I bought and towed home from Maple-Shade....
I'm seeing a pattern here. The flea-market bike needed a lot of TLC and tweaking to be rideable, too.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; August 20th, 2013 at 17:06.
Lug_Nut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 17:36   #3
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I'm probably bringing my folding bike, although a 30 mile ride is quite long for it, and I'm slow (especially with the gearing, which is 40.8 GI in 1st, 55.5 GI in 2nd, and that's all she wrote (2-speed coaster kickback hub - awesome for pootling, sucks for long rides)). I'd be interested in a shorter ride, though - 5-10 mi would be great.

If I could bring the trike, I'd gladly do a 30 miler, but that thing is too much of a pain to deal with on trips (especially because I'm going to need to stop along the way, which makes it that much worse), as I found out in Ypsi last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:58   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

Careful out there.

On Rt 2 this past June, there was a fatality during the Treck Across Maine going from Sunday River to Farmington on Day 1.

Theres a lot of logging going on out there, not so much on the weekends but during the week you're sharing the road with trucks with bark flying off isn't the most fun.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:30   #5
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Careful out there.

On Rt 2 this past June, there was a fatality during the Treck Across Maine going from Sunday River to Farmington on Day 1.

Theres a lot of logging going on out there, not so much on the weekends but during the week you're sharing the road with trucks with bark flying off isn't the most fun.
Thanks that good to know. If it gets to crazy, I will call my sag (aka my wife)
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:48   #6
MonsterDog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
Thanks that good to know. If it gets to crazy, I will call my sag (aka my wife)
Does she know that?
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:19   #7
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The Trek cyclist was killed because he swerved into the path of the truck while taking a drink of water, not because the truck was too close to the cyclist. In fact, the truck was well outside the state mandatory 3' rule and the driver was not cited. The Trek Across Maine starts at Sunday River, and the shoulder down route 2 to Rumford is pretty wide and the grade good for cycling. While there are some logging trucks on the roads, they're nothing I'd worry about on that road.

I have a 58cm Cannondale Black Lightning (1988) someone is welcome to use if they want. I'll only be attending on Saturday due to work, but I'm sure we can work something out to transport the bike. I also have two fixed gear bikes (56 & 58cm) if there is anyone sadistic enough to ride them. Sorry, no one borrows the Merlin since it's so rare.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:15   #8
Cooper
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Happened a mile behind someone we know that was doing the ride.

As posted, it's believed that he was taking a drink, only had one hand on the bike, and the turbulence from a passing truck caused him to lose balance.

I don't like riding the roads here in central MA. Crappy, narrow roads around me. Fortunately, the neighborhood we are in has a total of 7 miles of wide roads that don't get a lot of traffic. It does cut down on overall ride speed, though, as I constantly have to turn onto streets.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:17   #9
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I like the bike trail system around where I am, just wish it was more extensive.

I actually ride slower on the trails, because I don't feel like I have to ride fast.

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:13   #10
MonsterDog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

When I moved to No VA (for work), I made sure to be near the W&OD, which gives 44 miles of biking.. Granted MUP's have their own problems, but generally cars aren't one of them....

In fact, I'm not even bringing my bike this year to the Fest. Roads look a bit hilly and questionable for my tastes. And with all the hikes on site - no need..

Last edited by MonsterDog; August 21st, 2013 at 12:16.
MonsterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:15   #11
TooRoundTDI
Skunk Rocker

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: TBD

I was considering bringing my 3 speed but I'm with tooef where I can't go all that fast and I wouldn't want to be away from fest for too long but 5-10 miles sounds good to me.
Old August 25th, 2013, 19:30   #12
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
Sorry, no one borrows the Merlin since it's so rare.
Merlin (titanium), Kestrel (one piece composite), Alan (bonded composite) Kirk (cast magnesium), Vitus (bonded aluminum), Cannondale (welded aluminum), I've ridden them (a benefit of working in a high end bike shop). I still keep coming back to steel.

I'll have blocks of possible ride time free from fest duties and events on Friday afternoon, Saturday before breakfast, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, and maybe Monday morning depending on when I have to depart for home.

Friday night / Saturday early morning is expected to be down near freezing. Saturday night / Sunday morning in the low to mid 40's (5c), and there's no group breakfast that day.
What I'm thinking is to use Friday noon/afternoon to ride into Bethel to scope things out and see what's open for breakfast on Sunday. Then Sunday ride to breakfast, pick up some stuff for lunch, and ride back in time for the show starting at 10.
That's my thinking anyway.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old August 26th, 2013, 18:07   #13
Campbellonh
Veteran Member

There is a 14 mile loop near Songo Pond that doesn't look too bad.
If anyone is interested in off road bike trails there is a nice area nearby. It cost to get in but the trails are well maintained and hybrid and touring bikes can be used, not just mountain bikes and they offer rentals at http://greatglentrails.com/summer/rates-rentals/
OR there is a 18 mile rail trail that goes from Gorham to Cherry Pond called Presidential Range Rail Trail which is free. We could just do part of the rail trail if thats too long. We can figure out when once we are there.
2014 Honda Crosstour (I know, a gasser, pretty nice though)
Campbellonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 19:16   #14
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Merlin (titanium), Kestrel (one piece composite), Alan (bonded composite) Kirk (cast magnesium), Vitus (bonded aluminum), Cannondale (welded aluminum), I've ridden them (a benefit of working in a high end bike shop). I still keep coming back to steel.

I'll have blocks of possible ride time free from fest duties and events on Friday afternoon, Saturday before breakfast, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, and maybe Monday morning depending on when I have to depart for home.

Friday night / Saturday early morning is expected to be down near freezing. Saturday night / Sunday morning in the low to mid 40's (5c), and there's no group breakfast that day.
What I'm thinking is to use Friday noon/afternoon to ride into Bethel to scope things out and see what's open for breakfast on Sunday. Then Sunday ride to breakfast, pick up some stuff for lunch, and ride back in time for the show starting at 10.
That's my thinking anyway.
I will know more on Wednesday. When I find out what they need me for.
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:23   #15
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I'm going to leave the bike at home. My repetitive stress injury / carpal tunnel has really flared up this week. I've tried drop bars, flat bars, bar end extenders, I even bought and installed cruiser bars trying to find something that would let me hold on.

Now, If someone has a tandem and needs a one-armed stoker........

Svante Arrhenius 1896