www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

View Poll Results: Are you interested in attending a Mt. Washington Auto Road group drive? ~$30/person
Yes - I will be driving my own vehicle up the mountain 26 72.22%
Yes - I would like to ride in someone else's vehicle as a passenger 8 22.22%
No - I do not want to attend the group drive 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7th, 2013, 14:47   #31
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
I just voted looking forward ! Is it worth driving my car following my buddy for 8 hrs? From Kutztown, Pa ? 44 mpg
Yes! The more TDIs, the merrier!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 16:20   #32
Dieselboy

Fuel Economy: 44

Ok I just might lol
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 19:58   #33
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Scratching my head on this one! I'd love to go up, but would rather drive my ALH powered Vanagon. Will it be classified as a motorhome/RV?

Wife doesn't like heights. So, she will definitely not be going!
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 80k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 209k miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 19:59   #34
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Good question. You might want to call the auto road tomorrow and find out what the restrictions are.

Old August 7th, 2013, 20:03   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Here are some pics from the summit. These were taken on Memorial Day of this year.

Old August 7th, 2013, 20:14   #36
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

TDI(s): 2013 beetle!

Neat! I just realized you and I will have book-ended the summer with not only trips to Maine, but visiting the top of Mt. Washington, too! (both Memorial day and Labor Day weekends)

I was so glad we went to the top of Mt. Washington in May; I assumed that would be the only time I would ever get to do that. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Can't wait to see it again-perhaps without snow?
spacemonkeymafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 21:01   #37
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

They have had snow in every month of the year before.

Home of the Worlds Worst Weather.

I've been on the summit when the weather went from 50 and foggy to 0 and a blizzard in under 1/2 hour. Not Without Peril: 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire is a great book to read about the area and how little it takes to lose your life when you're unprepared.

Last edited by Abacus; August 7th, 2013 at 21:12.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 13:14   #38
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Since you mentioned catering/food will not be available at the mountain, I was thinking about having a little BBQ "after fest" G2G where i'm staying in Lancaster, NH. Its about 45-60 min from Mt Washington and about an hour from where TDIFest is happening. I know its a bit of a drive, but it seems like everything up in this part of NH/ME/VT is 45 min away. We are in the middle of nowhere after all.

For those of you trying to mapquest where I'm at just do a search for Gore Road in Lancaster, NH and that will give you an idea.
bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 13:22   #39
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

That would be really cool - just keep in mind that the distance might be tough for people, especially after having been doing stuff all day. We won't get off the auto road until ~8:15PM, add 45 minutes to your place and it's 9PM. Would be a great place for an evening BBQ party though - perhaps a fire pit and some music?

Old August 8th, 2013, 13:34   #40
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
That would be really cool - just keep in mind that the distance might be tough for people, especially after having been doing stuff all day. We won't get off the auto road until ~8:15PM, add 45 minutes to your place and it's 9PM. Would be a great place for an evening BBQ party though - perhaps a fire pit and some music?
It will have to be for the late nighters then.

Or maybe we could start heading to the mountain a bit earlier?

Either way, I'll be there with my buddy who's staying with me, and both our girlfriends. It is my girlfriend's grandfather's place, and I have only been there in the winter when EVERYTHING is covered in snow, so I'm not quite sure whats there to work with. I do know he has loads of tools and building supplies so I don't see why building a fire pit is out of the question. IIRC i think he has a chiminea out there we could have a nice fire in. Music is easy, as we will have a couple cars there to provide that. Beer is certainly going to be included as well. I'm going to give her grandfather a call to make sure there's a grill there and if I need a propane tank and ask about the chimenea. Worst case, if we cant build a fire outside, there is a beautiful fire place inside that we can use and the house has a pretty open platform so I could just leave the doors open.
Old August 8th, 2013, 14:17   #41
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman5066 View Post
It will have to be for the late nighters then.

Or maybe we could start heading to the mountain a bit earlier?

Either way, I'll be there with my buddy who's staying with me, and both our girlfriends. It is my girlfriend's grandfather's place, and I have only been there in the winter when EVERYTHING is covered in snow, so I'm not quite sure whats there to work with. I do know he has loads of tools and building supplies so I don't see why building a fire pit is out of the question. IIRC i think he has a chiminea out there we could have a nice fire in. Music is easy, as we will have a couple cars there to provide that. Beer is certainly going to be included as well. I'm going to give her grandfather a call to make sure there's a grill there and if I need a propane tank and ask about the chimenea. Worst case, if we cant build a fire outside, there is a beautiful fire place inside that we can use and the house has a pretty open platform so I could just leave the doors open.
This is a sunset cruise. We'd be happy to move the time earlier if you can coordinate with the solar system and get it to cooperate with the change of plans.

Old August 8th, 2013, 14:52   #42
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is a sunset cruise. We'd be happy to move the time earlier if you can coordinate with the solar system and get it to cooperate with the change of plans.
I missed the "sunset" part. :banghead:

We could call it a "pre-sunset" drive lol

I guess it will be for the night owls then.

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:51   #43
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!

Anyone interested in participating in this event should log into the registration system at http://reg.tdifest.com and edit your registration to add this event. Remember to add it for each person in your party who wants to do the group drive, even if he/she is only a passenger.

Cancellation Policy: We will ONLY cancel the group drive in the event of unsafe weather conditions on the Auto Road, as determined by Auto Road staff.

Restrooms: Restrooms are only available at the base of the mountain. There will be no restrooms available at the summit, as the National Park building will be closed. Please plan accordingly.

Driving Restrictions: Our group will be lead by an Auto Road van and followed by an Auto Road van. The Auto Road encourages everyone to have fun, but please no speeding, showing off, or otherwise acting like a fool. The Auto Road is both challenging and dangerous, and it is not an appropriate place to practice your racing skills. Also keep in mind that the general public will be leaving the mountain (going down) while we are going up, as they are all required to leave the summit at 6:45 PM. I don't know how many people this will be, but be prepared to encounter some traffic as we ascend the mountain. Going down, it will be all ours.

Any questions? Let me know!

Old August 9th, 2013, 19:22   #44
skoullias
Veteran Member

Quote:
The group drive on the Mt. Washington Auto Road has been CONFIRMED!
Registered and paid. Thanks for setting this up VD!
skoullias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 20:08   #45
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman5066 View Post
Either way, I'll be there with my buddy who's staying with me, and both our girlfriends. It is my girlfriend's grandfather's place, ....I'm not quite sure whats there to work with. I do know he has loads of tools and building supplies so I don't see why building a fire pit is out of the question. ...Music is easy, as we will have a couple cars there to provide that. Beer is certainly going to be included as well. .......Worst case, if we cant build a fire outside, there is a beautiful fire place inside that we can use and the house has a pretty open platform so I could just leave the doors open.
Don't go volunteering a friends' relative's property and real estate on his behalf.
Get him to tell you it's ok before you invite a bunch of beer drinking internet chat unknowns to set fire to his land.
Really!

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; August 9th, 2013 at 20:11.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote