www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 4th, 2013, 17:03   #16
storx
Veteran Member

i have nothing against hybrids, but most of the early builds of any kind of hybrid seem to fail.. i really hope this setup works for you as the upgrades for tdi's is still very limited to date. I wish more companies took interest in developing turbo's with better technology. I have a friend who had an procomp turbo on his car that started to smoke so he sent it in to have it rebuilt by procomp and they upgraded it to the new triple ceramic oil-less setup and when he put it on the car his spoolup increase 400rpms with zero change to the tune.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:04   #17
ibexlatham
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
I'd love to check this car out as the build progresses! I'm not too far away.
I'm sure we can arrange something, the turbo wont be in until spring as I dont have a garage so I'm about on "winter shutdown" and the car is my DD so working on it required taking vacation days for any larger project but I plan on having it in as early as possible in spring.... I usually take a few trips up to The Dells or Eagle River each summer so I can swing by on my way to one of those.
ibexlatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 19:00   #18
ibexlatham
Veteran Member

Just trying to stay relevant now that spring is near...

Also updating to a "build thread" to clean up my sig.
ibexlatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:05   #19
DubOn937

Any updates?
Old February 16th, 2018, 15:06   #20
travis45
Veteran Member

This turbo is on its way to my house.... Looking forward to giving it a try. Any suggestions for setup are appreciated. How much boost you think she's safely good for?
14 Sportwagen GTB2260vklr Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone custom tune, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS, Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD. Soon to install Colt billet stage 3 cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 22:35   #21
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

You should of gone for a serious one
With all the mods you've done you went cheap on turbo
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:50   #22
travis45
Veteran Member

I will at some point, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Thinking I should be able to pull another 20-30 hp out of it for now with this turbo. Also, it's an easy bolt on. We'll see what happens...
14 Sportwagen GTB2260vklr Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone custom tune, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS, Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD. Soon to install Colt billet stage 3 cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
Old February 17th, 2018, 10:59   #23
KERMA

IMO the turbo isn't the bottleneck but sounds like a fun project nonetheless
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 13:48   #24
travis45
Veteran Member

What do you think the bottleneck is? Exhaust manifold? I wonder if EGT will be an issue...
Old February 17th, 2018, 14:38   #25
KERMA

the bottleneck is fuel. plain and simple

throwing ever bigger "stage" turbos at the same fueling will do very little to contribute actual results, other than maybe bragging rights for more turbo pressure. "I gots moar boosts than you"

Funny thing, but when we were dyno tuning the Double Eagle for the world record at Bonneville, it made more power with LESS boost. Not exactly what you might expect, but there it was. More power at 22 psi than at 25 psi, and the higher the boost, the power kept dropping off lower. More fuel, less fuel, etc, didn't matter. You could load up the dyno to keep the rpm in control then adjust the on the fly, adjust the boost up, power goes down, adjust the boost lower, power goes up. The answer then is to go bigger on the exhaust of course but then you start moving the map width higher in the rpm band. then play with gearing but I digress. There's always a tradeoff, regardless of what the part sellers may claim in this wonderfully efficient echo chamber we call the forums. Bigger is NOT always better.

but like I said, it would be fun to fool with it and see what you can get out of it. Might be something really special- you won't know till you try.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 15:59   #26
travis45
Veteran Member

Oh, definitely will up fueling. Yes, more boost doesn't equal more power. If it can give me 20 some + hp I'll be happy.
Old February 17th, 2018, 16:03   #27
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Another significant bottleneck is the OE valve springs. They're pretty soft.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 16:18   #28
travis45
Veteran Member

Head work with cams, valves and springs will be the next phase down the road.

Little by little... Thinking head studs Would be a good idea about now...
Old February 26th, 2018, 18:12   #29
travis45
Veteran Member

Well, she's in! Unfortunately, I had to swap the actuator, but I'm glad she's boosting! Here's the first log, going to drive it a bit on the Malone stage 3 and see how it does before fueling up!

http://log.malonetuning.com/chart/22...fCjwAAAA%3D%3D
Old February 27th, 2018, 15:47   #30
travis45
Veteran Member

Does this sound right? Surge?

https://youtu.be/ZcGXIy0Y0K0