Plastic!?!? coolant temp sensor housing

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
None of the 12 gauges on my SG would show coolant temperature. This FWT gauge is actually the ATF temperature. I had to add an X-gauge per the instructions on the Linear Logic web site. I named it XII, number 12, short for our G12 although that has been superceded G13, but I digress.

cruiser guy

Veteran Member
No fixed address!! Yep, we're really of no fixed
TDI
'03 Jetta TDi wagon auto
None of the 12 gauges on my SG would show coolant temperature. This FWT gauge is actually the ATF temperature. I had to add an X-gauge per the instructions on the Linear Logic web site. I named it XII, number 12, short for our G12 although that has been superceded G13, but I digress.
Are you saying that the ScanGauge does not read coolant temp? or is it a requirement to buy additional software/parts to make it work?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
No, nothing new to buy. It reads water temp fine right out of the box for me. My manual ALH didn't require any fooling with. Adding X-Gauges are just a matter of entering the info into the Scangauge. Read about it on their website.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
No, nothing new to buy. It reads water temp fine right out of the box for me. My manual ALH didn't require any fooling with. Adding X-Gauges are just a matter of entering the info into the Scangauge. Read about it on their website.
I agree, mine also read coolant temperature just fine, right out of the box, for my manual transmission.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Ditto. I had to program mine for ATF, as I was curious for my Toyota. When I put the SG back into the Jetta I didn't bother undoing the changes for a gasser, and the ATF gauge reads nadda now in the Jetta.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cruiser guy, yes, my out of the box, brand new, SGII did not have the capability of reading coolant temperatures. Maybe it's because I have an auto trans.

cruiser guy

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDi wagon auto
I have just got a ScanGaugeII and it is not powering up. Plugged into the OBDII port. I assume fuse #10 is the right one and it is good.

Ideas?

JB05, were you able to make your ScanGauge II read after programming an "X Gauge" as per the ScanGauge website?

cruiser guy

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDi wagon auto
ScanGauge is working!

Drove from Grants Pass, OR to Redding, CA no problem. Normal temperature variations based on terrain and load. Stopped for lunch in Redding and then left for Lassen NP. Temp was creeping up and hit 240F. Pulled over and the larger fan was not running.

The "idiot gauge" was a steady 190 throughout :rolleyes:

Glad to be running a real gauge with the ScanGauge!

Anyone know what my volts should be reading? It shows 13.6 which seems low to me. I was expecting 14+ volts.

cruiser guy

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDi wagon auto
Further update on the ScanGauge II.

Coolant gauge in the car shows 190F sometimes as soon as when the ScanGauge has only reached 130F! I stays rocksteady on 190F even as the coolant temperature exceeded 240F as noted above. What kind of a joke of a gauge shows a rock steady 190F with a possible variation of nearly 100F?!?

The ScanGauge II is a "must have" for the TDi as far as I am concerned. The dash gauge is just a waste of space!

I'm monitoring coolant temperature of course as well as volts, boost and intake air temperature.

It looks like intake air temperature is after the intercooler. Anyone know if oil pressure is a possibility with the ScanGauge II on the TDi?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Further update on the ScanGauge II.

Coolant gauge in the car shows 190F sometimes as soon as when the ScanGauge has only reached 130F! I stays rocksteady on 190F even as the coolant temperature exceeded 240F as noted above. What kind of a joke of a gauge shows a rock steady 190F with a possible variation of nearly 100F?!?

The ScanGauge II is a "must have" for the TDi as far as I am concerned. The dash gauge is just a waste of space!

I'm monitoring coolant temperature of course as well as volts, boost and intake air temperature.

It looks like intake air temperature is after the intercooler. Anyone know if oil pressure is a possibility with the ScanGauge II on the TDi?
Something is not right, the dash gauge should be at 190*F starting at 165*F. Yes, Intake Air Temp is post-IC. The sensor is integrated into the MAP sensor, so it shows the air temp going into the intake. This is one of the parameters the computer uses to determine fuel and timing. You could wire a post-turbo/pre-IC sensor in to see how efficient the IC is in terms of temp and pressure drop.

No way to monitor oil pressure from the factory, there's no sensor for it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I can't say if the factory gauge is working or not. It shows cold at cold and pinned hot when it blew out. It's the "in between" that I doubt! ScanGauge works for me. It is now the gauge that I watch.
I see you have an auto. Sometimes the SGII will read the auto tranny fluid temp on the water temp setting. There's some other setting or xgauge to get coolant temp?

cruiser guy

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDi wagon auto
Well the ScanGauge II seems to read 190F - 200F and the car seems to try to maintain 190F on the water temperature setting. It quickly tries to get to 190F and when it exceeds 190F it tries to reduce the temperature till if achieves 190F (it all depends on load of course for how fast this might happen).

I can't imagine there being that kind of control on the ATF is there? What is a "normal" ATF temperature while operating (this is my first auto)?

I still wish the dash gauge would provide a real and variable reading of what is REALLY happening. It seems the data is available in the computer system.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cruiser, I still think you need to add an X-gauge for true coolant temperature. The 200 + readings sound more like ATF temperatures; mine will also go over 200F during the Summer. I'll have to check the ATF temps, but they climb a lot slower than coolant temperatures.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Instead of spending $169 for Scanguage, you could have bought a temperature gauge from PepBoys for few dollars and hooked inside you car. Similarly if you wants to watch volts and current, you could as well buy the gauges for those and screw on the dash. Your plastic sensor may have cracked due to fatigue or "normal" age, nothing unusual with plastic components. I have seen coolant resoviers leaking. That is the reason why these components are available for sale.