www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old July 4th, 2013, 08:35   #1
prodigitalgear

Default Particulate Filter Change on 2009 Jetta- over $6000???

We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 150K on it. I have a sporatic malfunction light that comes on so I PAID THE $95.00 diagnostic fee...what a rip off....to have them tell me I needed a new Particulate Filter and that there were none currently in the country, they cost $5300 and the labor would bring it up to about $6K. What???? They admitted it would have no effect on the engine performance but I wouldn't pass emissions that was due in three months.
My question to you all......is there a way for me to reset the on board computer or something.
I read up that the choice of oil can have an effect on the ASH and that is what this filter does. I use to always change my own oil but had a hard time finding the correct oil on a weekend I set some time aside. What I did was, on Monday I went to the dealer and asked for the correct oil. I can't remember while I'm typing but it has specific numbers that I took out of the manual. The girl at the dealer parts counter told me they do not stock that. HUH.....I then asked if they could fit me in for an oil change ($70.00). They said sure and I have been going there ever since, because the cost of the $70.00 was only $20 more than if I did it myself. That was at 36,000 miles. I am now wondering if the oil THEY use is not up to standard. I wonder how to prove it.
So..is there a work around? The service manager said that the NEW 2013 Passat's do not have this filter and get 50 mpg compared to the 38-40 I am getting out of this 2009. I really wish I kept my 2006! How in the heck do they expect us to want a TDI if we have to pay $6000 every 4 years? ANy ideas?
thanks
andy
prodigitalgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:46   #2
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

I'd call around to a few dealers. This one sounds like they don't know what they are doing and, from what I've read, the DPF replacement (while very expensive) is less than 6k.

PS. The new Passat has a DPF, but does have a different exhaust treatment with Urea. Also might get a little bump in mpg, but not to 50 if you are at 38.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Michelin Primacy MXV4 | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 55,000 miles |
TDiSkater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:49   #3
cleaver
Veteran Member

my two cents, if the VW parts counter couldn't provide you with the correct oil, then how could the VW service center since they use parts from the parts department....?? You should look at your invoices for your oil changes and confirm what type of oil they were using. You may have a valid arguement.

On a side note, you may not need to replace your DPF either. Go to a reputable repair guy and get a second opinion.
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:53   #4
darrelld
Veteran Member

Not sure if this works on US TDI's but you may want to contact the manufacturer of this product;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYGaGNnwf3w

http://www.toralin.com/diesel-partic...filter-cleaner
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:51   #5
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

If your CR TDI engine has the wrong oil in there, it eventually WILL need a new DPF. I say get the car away from that dealer, they are not doing you any favors.

A 507.00 spec oil is what you need and get it in there ASAP. PepBoys sells Mobil1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 oil and it specifically meets VW's 507.00 spec. It is among the best of the 507.00 oils available. Vendors on this site also sell 507.00 oils. You are better off to do all oil changes yourself than trust an incompetent dealer to do it.

Given the car has probably been running for some time on the wrong oil, it may or may not need a new DPF soon. If the wrong oil is in there, it needs to be changed ASAP. Has the yellow exhaust system warning light also been on?

It would be good to take the car on a LONG highway trip and keep your foot into it. This will keep the DPF HOT enough and long enough for passive regeneration to occur. It might help clean it up some. Drive like you stole it!

To reset the Check Engine Light and clear the code, you need to find a TDIclub forum member in your area with VCDS who can scan the car and clear the code. You can also bring it to AutoZone or PepBoys for that.

Good luck.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 16:01   #6
LarBear
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like the parts manager and shop manager at the OP's dealership need tied to posts and flogged to me. Even the dealer here sells 507.00 oil, Castrol SLX, and are selling it for the same price per liter that O'Reilly's is selling a qt of regular synthetic. None of the auto parts shops I've looked at here sell a suitable oil, and judging from the general level of intelligence of their staffs I doubt that they'd know the difference anyway.
LarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 21:04   #7
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26 - 53 mpg

I put a DPF on a Jetta not more than a week ago. There was no back order, and it cost in the range of $1100 (under warranty). For that price it sounds like they are trying to have you replace the whole exhaust AND all of the sensors. Even then I have a hard time figuring out how it all cost that much.

And if it really needs a DPF, for what plugging, then how does it not affect engine performance?

I don't know what to say, but check your receipts for the correct oil.

Jason
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:37   #8
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I put a DPF on a Jetta not more than a week ago. There was no back order, and it cost in the range of $1100 (under warranty). For that price it sounds like they are trying to have you replace the whole exhaust AND all of the sensors. Even then I have a hard time figuring out how it all cost that much.

And if it really needs a DPF, for what plugging, then how does it not affect engine performance?

I don't know what to say, but check your receipts for the correct oil.

Jason
2009 Jettas have the DPF integrated with the Cat so it is necessary to replace the whole system. This changed with the 2010+ Jetta so the DPF can be replaced individually.
Old July 6th, 2013, 13:01   #9
jgeorge
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Last checked- 4.35L/100km combined.

Provided a dpf for a 2010 mates at the top side a possibility may be to get one for a 2010, cut the old one away from the rest of the exhaust system a have it mig welded in place. Worth checking into as a possibility.
jgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 17:32   #10
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
2009 Jettas have the DPF integrated with the Cat so it is necessary to replace the whole system. This changed with the 2010+ Jetta so the DPF can be replaced individually.
I'm aware of that. So do the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. The DOC is the top part of the canister and the DPF is the bottom half of the canister, and the canister bolts right up to the turbo. Then there is the NOX reductant cat and SOX cat behind the exhaust flap.

But after 2009 the NOX reductant cat is separate piece and attached by exhaust clamp shell clamps. First year (2009) the NOX reductant cat is part of a single assembly with the DOC and DPF. But recently I have seen VW make us order both separate pieces and clamps to replace the single unit in the 2009.

And I am not aware of any CR TDI Jetta that has a separate DPF and DOC - of course unless you take a cutting wheel to the case.

When I said that $6k quote sounded like the whole thing, I meant it sounded like everything back to exhaust tips and every sensor (of which there are a lot) that screw into the exhaust. Short - sounds like WAY too much $$$

Jason
Old July 7th, 2013, 17:39   #11
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I'm aware of that. So do the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. The DOC is the top part of the canister and the DPF is the bottom half of the canister, and the canister bolts right up to the turbo. Then there is the NOX reductant cat and SOX cat behind the exhaust flap.

But after 2009 the NOX reductant cat is separate piece and attached by exhaust clamp shell clamps. First year (2009) the NOX reductant cat is part of a single assembly with the DOC and DPF. But recently I have seen VW make us order both separate pieces and clamps to replace the single unit in the 2009.

And I am not aware of any CR TDI Jetta that has a separate DPF and DOC - of course unless you take a cutting wheel to the case.

When I said that $6k quote sounded like the whole thing, I meant it sounded like everything back to exhaust tips and every sensor (of which there are a lot) that screw into the exhaust. Short - sounds like WAY too much $$$

Jason
They should upon request provide a breakdown of the components and pricing in the quote.

Or you could use this reference. They quote 2,899.00 for the DPF and CAT assembly.

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/parts/2...HAUST%20SYSTEM

I think if my DPF goes outside of warranty the nearest salvage yard will be my first stop.

Last edited by darrelld; July 7th, 2013 at 17:44.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 16:56   #12
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
They should upon request provide a breakdown of the components and pricing in the quote.

Or you could use this reference. They quote 2,899.00 for the DPF and CAT assembly.

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/parts/2...HAUST%20SYSTEM

I think if my DPF goes outside of warranty the nearest salvage yard will be my first stop.
Yes they should. I think we all would be better off if we saw a break down of what that $5300 in part includes.

Two points to consider; 1) That is DPF, cat, and NOX cat - all three for $2899
2) unless something has changed - it is illegal for a salvage yard to sell you a cat.

Jason
Old July 8th, 2013, 17:14   #13
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

What the duece?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE3

Last edited by donDavide; July 8th, 2013 at 17:55.
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:29   #14
IFRCFI
Veteran Member

http://www.fsxinc.com/Clean/home.html
IFRCFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:39   #15
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRCFI View Post