www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 10th, 2006, 14:19   #46
Baleyba

Hi,

I have found the thermal sensor into the heating systems!

I check the thermal sensors this afternoon and they are ok..
I don't understand why it is working only in the 5th position of the 2 switchs...
Baleyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 20:05   #47
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleyba
Hi,

I have found the thermal sensor into the heating systems!

I check the thermal sensors this afternoon and they are ok..
I don't understand why it is working only in the 5th position of the 2 switchs...
when I first installed mine I thought the same thing but now I've learned to use #5 for the first 20 minutes in the car then switch them down to #3 or #4 as they get too hot and even at #3 I might turn them off as the back sweat will build up if the a/c is not cool enough
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:00   #48
Baleyba

Thanks for your answer.

Position #5 is ok, but if I use #4 or #3 position, the heating system stop working and become cool...
Do you think the problem could be my switchs ?
Old September 11th, 2006, 15:12   #49
G60ING
Veteran Member

my seats were the same. don't buy anything. With the way the mk4 seats have been know to over heat and burn a hole in the seat I have found it best to manually turn off or down the heat when it gets too hot. When I first got mine installed I thought the switches were broken but now I'm happy.
Old September 12th, 2006, 00:13   #50
Baleyba

I've read some example of burning too...
Ok, so you only use the 5th position?

But it is not a normal behaviour that 1, 2, 3 and 4th positions don't work. How do you explain that ?

In fact I'd rather to use the 3rd or 4th position to have a lower and more regular heat.

(excuse me for my english )
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:24   #51
G60ING
Veteran Member

When ever I use the heated seats I initially set the seats to 5 and after they have heated up I manually turn them down to 4 or 3. which are warm but often I turn them back up to get the desired heat and then turn them down. Over the coarse of a 4 hour trip I touch the controls a maximum of 4-5 times. If you think that is too much then you should prepare yourself for buying new switches and possibly having a seat burn though if you let it get too hot.

I've been running my setup for 120K miles and 3 years and have yet to run into any issues

2 & 1 are never used
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:43   #52
Baleyba

ok G60ING

Thanks a lot for these informations!
So I can consider my switch are dead...

But, with new switch before burning, we must feel the big heat and stop the system, ot not ?

Thanks

Bal.
Old September 12th, 2006, 13:30   #53
G60ING
Veteran Member

no idea I would suggest you use the old switches for a few months before you buy new ones because I was once think my switches were garbage. I cheap and didn't buy new ones and these work fine now. I'd suggest you give it time.
Old September 12th, 2006, 13:34   #54
Baleyba

Thumbs up

Ah... ok!
I understand what you means.
I will put my switch on the 4th position all the time and wait until it s work. Maybe, as you are describing, it will work...

That's a good idea! Thanks again for your feedback!

Old September 12th, 2006, 14:18   #55
G60ING
Veteran Member

Just use the #5 position and then turn it down to #4 when it gets too hot. If #4 gets too cool then turn back up to #5. Wait and see I don't think its broken I doubt mine were broken
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:27   #56
falcon50

Default TDI Parts Harness

My goal is to have the installation as simple as possible. With that in mind does it make sense to use the TDI Parts "Heated Seat Retrofit Wiring Harness (A4)"?
I am installing '04 Jetta Heated Seats in an '04 Golf TDI.
falcon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:43   #57
Jon_Mutiger
Veteran Member

I just did heated GTI seats in my 2-door TDI. There are 2 wires from each seat up to the switches behind the dash. The switches are basically thermo-relay things. Then you have 4 other wires to the switches, switched and unswitched power, ground and dash lights.

It's actually a fairly easy install.

The only thing that confused me was the pin out numbers on the diagrams aren't right. There are 6 pins on the back of the switches, but they are 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 skipping #4. If you use the diagram, just use the logical order. It does work, and my seats do work on all settings, using a tester.

I think the problem is that the thermo switch in the seat might vary from seat to seat, so #1 on my car and #1 on your car might actually be different..
It's nice to have heated seats again.

Jon
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:49   #58
ravipedrosa

bringing this back up does anyone here know what part number is the purple(originaly green on the diagram) wire coming out of the pins 1 and 3 from the seats plugs?

ravipedrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:01   #59
Aquell

Default Please Help Me Diagnose Heated Seat Problem

Hi,

I am new to reparing/modding my golf and am looking for some help in diagnosing the problem with my heated seats.

I have a MK4 2005.5 Golf GTTDI 130, the driver's seat heats up fine, however the passenger seat does not heat up in any part of it. I have checked the fuse as I believe it is the same fuse as for the driver's seat and this is fine.

Would I be correct in thinking that it would be unusual for all the elements in the seat to fail at once, or is it a case of if one fails then it would break the entire circuit?

Could anyone help describe the steps I should go through to diagnose what the problems could be before biting the bullet and deciding whether to get VW to replace the heating elements or not.

Thanks in advance,

Aquell
Aquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:38   #60
G60ING
Veteran Member

could be the switch