www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:41   #16
oldpoopie

Default Re: Heated seats.......

Lito, I knew you'd have all that info. Thanks!
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 15:31   #17
oldpoopie

In an effort to understand this better, I joined and colored the wiring diagram.

Email me if you want the full size version.
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:00   #18
oldpoopie

Ok, I think the bently diagram is confusing. Too much info for what I need. I've put together this diagram to simplify things. Let me know if I've made any errors.
Old October 19th, 2003, 06:54   #19
oldpoopie

Ok, turns out I had a little crisis getting the connector housing (1J0-937-731) at the seat. IMPEX said it was out of stock in north america, as did my local dealer. I ordered it anyway from my dealer on thursday. Then, friday evening, I contacted GSXR600 of mb pierburg fame, and asked him to source them from germany for me. He said no problem. Well,long story short, the dealer calls me sat and says the parts are in! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Turns out the old # was supplanted by 2 new parts.

They are: 1j0-937-713 (pink locking tab)
1j0-937-714 (blue locking tab)

The two parts slide and lock together forming the complete connector. You'll have to insert any repair wires before you lock the 2 connectors together. You'll need 2 of each. Here are some pics:

Old October 19th, 2003, 18:26   #20
tongsli
Veteran Member

Justin,

Thanks for the info!! This solves the problem!!!

L
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:22   #21
G60ING
Veteran Member

Well I've got toasty buns [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I've been laying low do to the flu and whatnot. But I finally hooked everything up. I'll have pics in a week or two of the locations to tap into the fuse box when I go in an hook up the rear fog. It was simple, for the constant power I ran from stud #30 to the fuse box (fuse#44) and then to the switches. For the switched power I should have just vampted into the Black with blue wire coming out of fuse #5 but I ended up using a repair wire into the fuse and then but spliced and came off with the blk/bl wire and the wire leading to the switches. The grounds are run from the stud next to the steering colume. Then I ran the illumination from the cigerette ligher because the area behind the hazard switch was already tight enough with all of the new wiring.

I'll also take some pics of the wiring routing as it is well hidden, I used the oem plastic wiring loom holders for routing (thank goodness for mechanical fingers)

I spent a good amount of time doing this but I know I'll get satisfaction from this everytime I warm my keyster. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:25   #22
OilBurnerDE
Veteran Member

I too was able to hook up my harness this weekend, and had a nice warm rump on the way in this morning.

Mine was so simple it was funny.

My first attempt resulted in me scratching my head and wondering where I was going to splice into for power.

Took a brief breather and then went back out to look at the wiring mess again.

At first I was looking for a separate wire with a male connection that would match the female connection on the harness. None could be found.

After my intermission, I looked at the back of the fuse panel again and toward the top there were add on terminals that clicked or locked into groves on top of the panel. There were two rows of these.
I pulled one off and looked at it. It had three wires plugged into it and two open terminals. It was a distribution block. I took out my Multimeter and sure enough I found a switch power source that I could plug my harness into.
And below that distribution block was another that was part of the illumination ciruit. Plugged everything up and viola
Heated seats! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I wish eveything was this simple. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
OilBurnerDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:45   #23
tongsli
Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
They are: 1j0-937-713 (pink locking tab)
1j0-937-714 (blue locking tab)

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin, do the part numbers you quoted mate only to the Green connector with the "key" tab???
I can't quite make it out from your pictures.

Lito
Old October 20th, 2003, 17:39   #24
oldpoopie

Lito, the part #s are for each half of the connector. When assembled they replace the two loose green connectors seen in this pic:

you can see how they look the same when assembled.

Old October 20th, 2003, 17:45   #25
oldpoopie

As for my car, the seats seem to require a different connector.
The male end of the connector that in actually part of the seat looks like this on mine:

As for ease of install, I decided to make most of the harness beforehand. I also wrapped the wires in "hockey tape" for an OEM look, protect the wires, and make installation easier. I also removed EVERYTHING that was in the way with the exception of the carpet. It was alot of work, but made things alot cleaner. Once I get the correct connectors at the seats, I'll be all set.

Old October 20th, 2003, 18:18   #26
oldpoopie

here's a screen shot showing the part #s for that connector. Hopefully this will come in on wed.
Old October 20th, 2003, 21:03   #27
tongsli
Veteran Member

Hey! Justin. That looks familiar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My seats are installed because I USE the car in this condition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old October 20th, 2003, 21:06   #28
tongsli
Veteran Member

You need to upgrade to power windows!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Let me know if you're interested, I think I may have enough parts so that you can get it done!! I think Eric may have a few things laying around as well.

Is your Golf a 2 or 4 door. Can't remember now

Lito
Old October 20th, 2003, 21:12   #29
oldpoopie

I considered leaving the car like that as a quality theft deterent. It reminds me of when I lived in providence. One of the local stolen car guys had a habit of dumping his stripped out cars infront of my apartment. I'll never forget the day I stepped out of my door to see a camry with no glass, no doors, no dash, hood front fenders, grille, or any interior. It had been driven there with a milk crate screwed to the floor. There were 4 donut spare tires on it. Very funny.
Old October 20th, 2003, 21:15   #30
oldpoopie

My golf is a 2 door. I'd need to get some GTI black leather doorskins. But yes, I'm very interested. I've been thinking about it for quite some time.