Front Fender Rust TSB

325isbimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta Highline

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I had the exact same problem with on my 06 Jetta. On the passenger side the paint flaked off in the exact areas that the tsb points out. The dealer was not very helpful despite me mentioning the tsb for previous years but their attitude improved once corporate or VW of NA got involved. Long story short they replaced both fenders as they said the could feel rust starting on the drivers side. They got permission to replace both fenders.

325isbimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta Highline
I had the exact same problem with on my 06 Jetta. On the passenger side the paint flaked off in the exact areas that the tsb points out. The dealer was not very helpful despite me mentioning the tsb for previous years but their attitude improved once corporate or VW of NA got involved. Long story short they replaced both fenders as they said the could feel rust starting on the drivers side. They got permission to replace both fenders.
Thank you for your input TT71. That seems to be the general consensus is to have VWNA involved in order to get the individual dealers to comply.
My 06 was starting to show signs of water getting behind the paint and bubbling on both fenders and as of this spring it has begun flaking off and actually showing rusty colored metal underneath. I will keep members posted on my results.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
What you describe is similar to what happened to me.
Right down to the rusty bare metal.
When I talked to the dealership about it they claimed that
There wasn't a foam backing on the fender.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Do you have pictures of the rust?

andru365

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Noticed you are in Toronto.

I had both fenders replaced by Richmond Hill VW under the rust warranty. This was last year, and they were very helpful. Took the car in for pics, a month later they call me and said VW Corporate had approved my claim, and the car was booked in for the work the following week.

In fact, I just had them approve a second claim on the rust on my trunk and its going in next week for a new trunk lid.

325isbimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta Highline
Noticed you are in Toronto.

I had both fenders replaced by Richmond Hill VW under the rust warranty. This was last year, and they were very helpful. Took the car in for pics, a month later they call me and said VW Corporate had approved my claim, and the car was booked in for the work the following week.

In fact, I just had them approve a second claim on the rust on my trunk and its going in next week for a new trunk lid.
Thank you Very much for this info. This is what I was looking for. I've gone into Pfaff (Newmarket Dealer) and they're about as useful as tits on a bull. They looked at me like I had 2 heads when I started to explain the situation and asked how many km were on my car, when I told them almost 300,000 they basically laughed at me and said "you're way past any sort of warranty" I saved myself the headache and walked out.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I would certainly call VW North America or the Canadian equivalent. (VW corporate structure is not my strong subject) Wen I did they were alot more helpful and the dealerships attitude changed. Hmmmm wonder why?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
There is no argument to be had. They offer a 12 year corrosion warranty. MAKE they honor it. TSB or not.

325isbimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta Highline
I just wanted to provide an update to all those interested.
about 2 months ago I went into VW Richmond Hill as per andru365 and they were very polite and started the corrosion claim by taking very careful notes on the areas affected along with pictures of both front fenders, the trunk lid and the right rear door skin (some rust starting at the top back corner by the window molding)
about a month later they called to say that all the areas had been approved for complete replacement and the work was scheduled for whenever I wanted to drop my car off. (they even offered to give me a lift back to my work) I dropped of the car on Nov 19th and picked it up today Nov 27th. It has both brand new fenders, door skin and trunk lid complete with new emblems and badges.
I can't stress how amazed and happy I am with the way VW handles their corrosion warranty. And Kuddos to VW Richmond Hill on their professionalism and costumer service.
It's these things that most people don't see as quantifiable that make me stay a VW owner.

Baysville

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Spice Red, Auto - SOLD, Jetta Wagon, 2006, Silver, Auto
+1 for Richmond Hill VW - 2005 Jetta Wagon, one fender replaced, rear hatch replaced, roof repainted (rust around posts of factory roof rails) and rear quarter panel repainted. I may be looking to have other rear quarter panel done in the future. I think it was three separate visits/authorizations as the various panels developed rust.

And I will definitely be looking for another VW if my current one ever wears out.

Baysville

TDI
Unfortunately, I did not take any photos. I just cleaned my car up and took it to the dealer, where they took a number of photos, including the odometer which show the overall condition of the car, and the rust spots.

I would describe the rust as slight bubbling with all paint still present. Certainly not perforation, but heading that way within the 12 year warranty.

Top of right front fender arch, lower right corner of glass of hatch, intersection of bumper and rear portion of wheel arch on passenger (right) rear fender and around a couple of posts of factory roof rails (wagon).

Hope that helps.

veryhumid

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have flaking on passenger but not driver side. I had the dealer look at it and they gave me a quote, did not offer any warranty repair. I believe the warranty is "rust through".

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
+1 for Richmond Hill VW - 2005 Jetta Wagon, one fender replaced, rear hatch replaced, roof repainted (rust around posts of factory roof rails) and rear quarter panel repainted. I may be looking to have other rear quarter panel done in the future. I think it was three separate visits/authorizations as the various panels developed rust.

And I will definitely be looking for another VW if my current one ever wears out.
I have had mine approved as well but am in no rush to get it done. Can you give us some detail as to what the paint people actually did to protect the new panels. How many coats and if a clear coat is put on.

I also want to point out to people that I have had some damage caused by improper placement of lift pads( garage) and the rocker panel chip guard breaks loose as it does not seem to stick very strongly and this extra stress causes it to break loose. I cut most of the loose sections back and then used urethane adhesive to seal the edges and then repainted with paint-able rock guard.

I am hoping this is the solution to controling rust now. You can by the Rust Cure in a spray can and that should be exactly what we need for these cars. http://www.corrosionfree.com/rust_care.htm

Baysville

TDI
I really didn't get into the details with the dealer or view the repair in progress. I was happy with the end result. Not sure about number of coats, protection of inner side of panels, etc.

In addition, once approval was received, I was told that I would need to have the repair completed within about a month or so, otherwise re-approval may be necessary.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I really didn't get into the details with the dealer or view the repair in progress. I was happy with the end result. Not sure about number of coats, protection of inner side of panels, etc.

In addition, once approval was received, I was told that I would need to have the repair completed within about a month or so, otherwise re-approval may be necessary.
I have talked to my dealer almost a year ago and said 120 trunk lids were on back order and that was the hold up.

I have noticed the foam under the fender well and will use that Rust Cure product to prevent. see my previous post for link

Edit: It was only 50 some trunk lids on back order but he had a stack of claims on his desk and i remember the 120 figure being mentioned. At the time he went through them to find mine and i was about 35 on his stack.

Last edited:

325isbimmer

TDI
2006 Jetta Highline
Here are the before shots. I didn't take any of the trunk lid. But it was just starting to show paint flaking around the license plate lights.

I will take some post repair pics when I have a chance. But overall I'm very happy with it and have nothing to complain about.

@James & Son - I actually had some additional work done by the bodyshop who does the work for VW Richmond Hill and he explained that he is supplied the replacement panels by the VW Dealer and they come pre primed. He then shoots base / clear. But we did not get into the details of how many coats. He did mention that he has to uphold a certain quality standard as is set out by VW in order for the corrosion warranty to be maintained for years to come. Ie. when he was fixing a few additional stone chipped areas he would not take shortcuts and had to "refinish"'the whole panel and not just blend in an area.

Ps. I was also told the claim had to be completed within 6 weeks or re-approval may be necessary. But nothing was mentioned about back ordered trunk lids. I was simply told give us a call when you're ready to drop it off and it shouldn't be longer than a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
factory panels generally *aren't* primed. The black stuff is only a "transit primer" and they won't have had the same electrophoretic treatments as a whole car...

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Surely some of you have heard of this issue which has a TSB for the MK4's

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357823

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/fender-rust-VW-TDI-repair.htm

Seems that I'm having the same problem with my MK5.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Has anyone successfully had this taken care of by the dealer on an MK5? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before attempting to deal with the "dealer"
I am glad the OP posted this as I had forgotten about this. I just finished up putting in new strut thrust bearings and springs because one spring broke. This is on GoFasters car that I just purchased with 430,000 kilometers( still has stock cam).

I trimmed the foam on the passenger side as per the TSB but was surprised to fine the drivers side already cut back and the cut looked manufactured not a modification? Any ways the paint on this car is exceptional with only slight bubble at the backup lights.

About 2 cans of this will do the whole car. http://www.corrosionfree.com/rust_care.htm

Edit: http://www.corrosionfree.com/automotive.htm

Last edited:

redoverred

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No way, I've recently unearthed rust in that same location. I bought my 2006 TDI used in 2009. So far VoA has not helped me a single bit with any of my complaints. I just planned to get a touchup paint job.

Spoolin'Jim

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, 5 speed, Pkg. 1, White
I have rust starting on my trunk by the lights, above the rear passenger wheel well, and on the bottom corner of my drivers side rear door. I've had the dealership look at it and take photos just to be told unless it rusts from the inside out, they can't fix it. I also had my hood rust very badly due to a large rock chip, but I understand why that's not covered, so I fixed it myself with plasti dip. Any tips to use to try and get this covered? Maybe I'll try the other VW dealer in the area. Owned by same company, but different techs.

lchizz

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan
So is the 12 year corrosion warranty transferable? I'm the 3rd owner on my 06 that's showing spots in door jam....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
It is 12 years unlimilted mileage. The 12 years is the manafactured date on the sticker in/on the drivers door jam.2002's soon to be out of luck depending on the sticker date, so wait not. Had my 2006 done. The drivers finder was starting to bubble slightly. They used a gauge to measure the paint thickness on it and the passenger finder and service gent., said both to be done. The pass., finder looked a ok to me but the service guy said both as the paint was too thin on the pass., so it would be included under warranty. He said 2-3 weeks till he/we would know. I left and 20 mins out, he phone me on my cell and said it was appoved , 20 mins to appove now that is service. The dealer was Midtown VW on Sheppard just east of Warden .

Last edited:

strommer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 platinum
Good to hear about coverage for the rust issue. Mine started this winter on both front fenders and also the truck lid by the license plate. I will take it to my dealer to see what kind of support I will get, thanks

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Just wanted to add/update this thread especially since I am seeing more and more Mk5s with the same paint issues. Fair Wifey took the '06 Jetta we've owned since new over to local dealer (Traverse Motors) and had them look at the issues which are virtually the same as described here. The OK to repaint/replace the effected panels came startlingly quickly and it's been at the body shop since last Monday, 6/23/14. The body shop found more rust than originally thought on the drivers side rear fender so, with the regional reps blessing, they ordered a new fender and hopefully the freshly repainted car will be back in our hot little hands in a couple more days. Dealer rep has stated they are seeing more than a couple cars come in with these issues and the regional rep happened to be at the dealership when they found the hidden rust on our car to look at two others with similar paint issues. These issues showed themselves quickly and I'm glad we didn't have to battle to get it taken care of. Dealership has been quite pleasant to work with, we'll see how the job turns out which was farmed out to another multi-line dealership (not VWAG) nearby.

strommer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 platinum
My update.
I went to my dealer in the spring (2014) and he set up an appointment for me to bring in the car for inspection and photos late June. Went in and was told that they are going to replace both front fenders and the truck lid (free of charge). I asked him when they could do it and he said "not this year" as there are 95 cars ahead of me. Good service but lead time sucks as I want to sell the car