Injector Pump Electrical Diagram

jakobemmanuel

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI, Present Project: '98 AHU into '82 Diesel Vanagon (eTDI), Future Project: '98 AHU (mTDI) into '93 Toyota Pickup
I've been searching through the forum and web but can't seem to find information I would like. Sorry if this has been asked before...

I would like to get an electrical schematic of the Bosch pumps used on the AHU engines. On my pump I see 7 pins. I want to know what each pin/wire is for. I know from the Bosch VE manual that the pump has a solenoid actuator, an angle sensor (control-collar position sensor??) and an electromagnetic shutoff valve. I'm assuming some of the wires are for sensors and the others are for mechanical controls.

What sensors does the pump have?
What mechanical controls does the pump have?

and even more specific...

What range of voltages operate these sensors and controls?

Thanks

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
1. Adjuster solenoid - pins 5+6: 14V, current to ground controlled by ECM PWM pin
2. Modulating Piston Displacement Sensor (adjuster angle) - pins 1,2,3 (field, common, signal) - 0-5V output.
3. Fuel temperature sensor - thermistor - pins 4+7
4. Cold start valve (timing control valve) - N108 - 14V PWM - pins 9+10
5. Cutoff valve - pin 8 (case grounded).

Additional signals are engine speed sensor G28 for TDC signal, and injector #3 NLS G80 for SOI (synced with G28 to control N108).

The VP37EDC is intended to be controlled with a programmable controller only using the above signals and feedback loops.

Mechanical components are feed and high pressure pumps, return restrictor (lower bound), and feed pump/case pressure control valve (upper bound). The adjuster is spring loaded and returns to its lower stop when current is removed.

jakobemmanuel

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI, Present Project: '98 AHU into '82 Diesel Vanagon (eTDI), Future Project: '98 AHU (mTDI) into '93 Toyota Pickup
Awesome. Thank you jcrews and whitedog.

I would like to follow up with a bold question. Though it may seem my question seeks a simple answer, I can easily accept the fact that it is way more complicated than that.

In terms of mechanical controls, this VP37 pump has similarities to a mechanically controlled pump. Similarities lie mostly in the actuation of the control collar, though the method of actuation is different, in the mechanical pump the control collar is actuated via the throttle, the governor (at idle and max speed) and the LDA, while the VP37 control collar is actuated by a solenoid, and movement is based on a number of inputs via sensors and ECU. The timing advancement is controlled through internal pump conditions in the mechanical pump and through the commencement injection valve on the VP37.

Now the question:
Is it possible, with "simple controls" for the adjuster solenoid and commencement injection valve, to operate a VP37 like a mechanical pump?

I understand a few of the challenges. Obviously the mechanical pump doesn't operate simply by moving the control collar via the throttle. Control collar position is also controlled through the governor and the LDA. The governor reacts to engine speed and the LDA reacts to charge-air pressure. I'm not sure about the timing advancement though. Is the VP37 pump housing able to use the advancement mechanism from the mechanical pump?

But...with minimal input from a few sensors, could a "simple" map program be generated and operated on an arduino?

Any thoughts?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Click on this and you will be able to open up a PDF with the engine controls.

(dredging up an ancient thread's a no-no sometimes, I know, but google led me here and not much elsewhere)

So if I'm reading this correctly, the wire that carries the fueling signal is the brown/red? The red/violet on the other side of the solenoid winding would have to be either ign hot or ground. Based on the fact that it has to be 5V across the winding I'm leaning toward ground. Gonna go and stick a volt meter to it and see later on when I leave for work.

Anyways, what I'm thinking on is a solenoid to control oil flow to something when the computer commands zero fueling to the pump. Coasting toward a stop in gear is one such time. (hint hint :p)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Anyways, what I'm thinking on is a solenoid to control oil flow to something when the computer commands zero fueling to the pump.
I don't understand this. When the car is in gear and coasting, the wheels are pumping oil through the engine:

The wheels are connected to the axles are connected to the transmission is connected to the clutch is connected to the crankshaft is connected to the oil pump drive chain which turns the oil pump and oil pumps through the engine.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't understand this. When the car is in gear and coasting, the wheels are pumping oil through the engine:

The wheels are connected to the axles are connected to the transmission is connected to the clutch is connected to the crankshaft is connected to the oil pump drive chain which turns the oil pump and oil pumps through the engine.
But I can use a solenoid to allow it to flow to a new part of the engine when the specified conditions are met. The specified condition is zero fueling, which is when the engine is trying to slow itself down.

Then I can use that oil as a hydraulic fluid, which can be used to make the intake cam lobe open the exhaust valve at the end of the compression stroke.

Thus the engine slows down in a more expedient fashion. Saving brake lining life, and adding a racket to the exhaust note whilst decelerating.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
But I can use a solenoid to allow it to flow to a new part of the engine when the specified conditions are met. The specified condition is zero fueling, which is when the engine is trying to slow itself down.

Then I can use that oil as a hydraulic fluid, which can be used to make the intake cam lobe open the exhaust valve at the end of the compression stroke.

Thus the engine slows down in a more expedient fashion. Saving brake lining life, and adding a racket to the exhaust note whilst decelerating.
Good luck with that.

Our Cummins powered bus uses the VNT as the engine brake. The hardware was there, all it took was the proper tuning. (Hint, hint)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Good luck with that.

Our Cummins powered bus uses the VNT as the engine brake. The hardware was there, all it took was the proper tuning. (Hint, hint)
yeah, exhaust brakes work, sorta, but I can hear my turbo screaming when I'm slowing to a stop, so I think it is already in the programming.

Sorta kinda thought about putting a door lock solenoid on the anti shudder valve and putting a small hole in it to keep some small amount of air moving, but that doesn't seem like the best idea.
I've got all kinds of machine tools at my disposal when I finally get the time to work on stuff, well, once I finish up a lubrisizer project.
I don't think the stop solenoid turns off on the overrun, the QA collar just goes to zero?
It could be done with the stop solenoid, both of them just move the metering valve in the pump. It is likely to be done with the QA windings, but I wouldn't put it past the germans to use the shut down solenoid.