www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 1st, 2002, 11:18   #16
msauve
Veteran Member

Default Re: Upgraded H1 headlight bulbs

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris B:
Incorrect. My 2K2 Jetta headlight lenses had both the E1 and DOT markings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not clear why you insist so strongly on being wrong.

I did NOT say that the NB ships in the US with the same lamps as in Europe. I said that the US NB ships with "e-code" lamps, that is, lamps which have been ECE approved. That is true. VW would be in major trouble with the ECE if they were marking non-compliant lamps with ECE compliance markings.

There are no doubt compromises which VW must make to also meet DOT specs, compromises which they don't have to make for vehicles in Europe.

The fact remains that NB headlamps are both ECE and DOT approved/certified.
msauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2002, 19:47   #17
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Quote:
Originally posted by msauve:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chris B:
Incorrect. My 2K2 Jetta headlight lenses had both the E1 and DOT markings.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's not clear why you insist so strongly on being wrong.

I did NOT say that the NB ships in the US with the same lamps as in Europe. I said that the US NB ships with "e-code" lamps, that is, lamps which have been ECE approved. That is true. VW would be in major trouble with the ECE if they were marking non-compliant lamps with ECE compliance markings.

There are no doubt compromises which VW must make to also meet DOT specs, compromises which they don't have to make for vehicles in Europe.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually I don't know about the NB but the Jetta lights have both E and DOT stamps on them but they're mutually exclusive in the case of the Jetta. It's simply because they use the same lens for both. The DOT lights will have a "NOT FOR ECE" sticker on them somewhere if I recall. The 9007 bulbs are NOT ECE-approved even thought the lens has the "E" in a circle.
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2002, 19:51   #18
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat 6.8-7.2 L/100 km Golf 4.8-5.5 L/100 km (summer-winter)

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldman:
Mike, I've been putting this off, and now after going across Texas at night with the wife's volvo, I really know how poor my Jetta lights are. WHat can I do short of E codes? Can you give me 3 steps, from simple to Ecodes along with price?

I had an Intergra with Projector lights, so I know how good lights can get. I don't need to have the ultimate, but the MK4 Jetta lights plane suck.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's no simple solution. The reason is the rather lack of room for auxiliary lights on the Jetta. You could try micro DE projector fogs but to effective you'll need fogs for low beam, driving lamps for high beam, made all the more difficult because there's the intercooler intake to avoid blocking. Easiest way really is to invest about $500 CDN in e-codes and a euroswitch which will gain you fogs as well. It's a lot cheaper than HID and very effective.

Forget aftermarket bulbs. The only thing they'll do is accentuate how lousy the light pattern of the DOT lamps is.

Gawd you guys are making me miss my Jetta...

[ December 01, 2002, 19:52: Message edited by: PlaneCrazy ]
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 02:14   #19
Tyler Gee
Veteran Member

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As I stated before the North American NB lamps are not ECE approved. They lack the wiring for the city lights and the projector lens is specific to North American DOT specs. because it has been modified to flare a large amount of light overhead to iluminate non-lighted american road signs which causes an unacceptable amount of glare by ECE standards.

Here are the part numbers for the different NB headlights that are not DOT or North American :

* 1C0 941 029 J
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY) * LEFT
1C2 941 029 D
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY) * LEFT
* 1C0 941 029 K
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT LEFT
* CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA
* 1C0 941 029 L
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT LEFT
* CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA SPORT EDIT.
* 1C0 941 030 J
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(RIGHT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY) *RIGHT
* 1C2 941 030 D
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT
(LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC ONLY) * RIGHT
* 1C0 941 030 K
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT RIGHT
* CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA
* 1C0 941 030 L
* HALOGEN HEADLIGHT RIGHT
CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA SPORT EDIT.
1C0 941 115 A
* HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT ECE/E1 *
* 1C0 941 115 B
* HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT
SAE/DOT * CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA *

* 1C0 941 116 A
* HEADLIGHT LENS RIGHT ECE/E1 *
1C0 941 116 B
* HEADLIGHT LENS RIGHT
SAE/DOT * CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA
Tyler Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 03:41   #20
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

This is indeed interesting info.
Coincidentally, I changed the H1 bulbs in the NB this weekend for the Phillips Vision Plus. There does seem to be an improvement. I will say again, however, that I think the Beetle's projector beam lights are pretty good. Better than the Jetta's lights, for sure, (I had a 99 1/2).

PS: Don't just blindly follow Bentley like I did. Both bulbs are indeed H1 (no H7 involved like Bentley said), and don't just pull up on the lever like Bentley said. I broke a lever before I did a search on www.Newbeetle.org and found that one must push a knurled button first. The replacement plastic piece was $14. In passing, one parts department told me that a replacement lamp fixture was $340.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 04:08   #21
msauve
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Gee:
[QB]As I stated before the North American NB lamps are not ECE approved.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You continue with that claim, yet offer ZERO evidence of it. Showing that different part number exist does not prove that US headlights are not ECE approved.

The readily verifiable fact that those headlamps have official markings indication ECE approval bears far more weight than your pathetic attempts to rationalize your unsupported position.
msauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 08:26   #22
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

My 02 Golf has the E1 marking on the tab where it attaches to the radiator support.
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 10:13   #23
Michael Moore
Veteran Member

Tyler makes a very good point in one of his posts above, where he states "As with any lamp change always recheck the height adjustment. The relationship between the location of the filament and the lens is so critical that the focal point of the replacement lamps is different enough to likely require an adjustment with every lamp change."

I purchased Philips VisionPlus bulbs in Europe and refitted them to the North American headlamps that came in my 2002 Golf. It was very necessary to re-align the headlights after installing these bulbs, I suspect because the filament in the Philips bulbs is in a fractionally different location than the filament in the bulbs that came with the car.

After having the dealer do a very careful re-alignment of the headlights, I had a look at the result - more light, that much was true, but also two rather annoying hotspots in front of the car when the low beams are on. Such is life.

Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 17:31   #24
Tyler Gee
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by msauve:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tyler Gee:
[QB]As I stated before the North American NB lamps are not ECE approved.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You continue with that claim, yet offer ZERO evidence of it. Showing that different part number exist does not prove that US headlights are not ECE approved.

The readily verifiable fact that those headlamps have official markings indication ECE approval bears far more weight than your pathetic attempts to rationalize your unsupported position.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK lets review here:
1C0 941 115 A
HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT ECE/E1

1C0 941 115 B
HEADLIGHT LENS LEFT
SAE/DOT CENTRAL AND S. AMERICA

I can also confirm that my 98 NB had a sticker on the back of the headlight that warned "Not For ECE"

That said, I will defer to your judgement, I have no intention of engaging in a battle of wits with a defenseless person...YOU WIN
Tyler Gee is offline   Reply With Quote