www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:24   #1
ShickShackFarms

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Default Starting a 2013 Passat SEL

Great sight, it helped decide on what car to buy.
Just bought a 2013 Passat SEL. Tried to search for this but could not find anything.
How do you activate the glow plugs with a keyless start?
I have not found anything in the owners manual that tells me how to wait on/activate glow plugs.
Does it just activate them automatically?
Thanks
Jeff
ShickShackFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:29   #2
Canuck64

It is automatic, just push the start button while holding down the brake pedal and wait
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:19   #3
Mr. Furious
Veteran Member

Yep, sometimes you'll notice that there's a delay between pressing the button and the engine starting, especially if it's cold.
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:35   #4
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

...but do keep your foot lightly pressing on the brake pedal. No need to HOLD the start button, press/release, the car will start when it's ready.
Welcome to the club. Lots of great info here, but do take the time to explore/search. Yes, it's tedious, but better for your understanding...plus you won't have to bear the onslaught of complaints (from grumpy people like me!) when you ask a question that has been answered many times before!
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:03   #5
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Unlike older diesels, you'll notice that the glow plugs on the Passat are very fast. Even at subzero temps, I don't think I've ever had it glow for more than 3 to 5 seconds.
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:39   #6
jck66
Veteran Member

Yes, I was shocked at how quickly the GP light went off this past winter. (And I've already basically forgotten about the cold start pull handle since my B4 didn't have one...)
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:50   #7
VWJayhawk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Unlike older diesels, you'll notice that the glow plugs on the Passat are very fast. Even at subzero temps, I don't think I've ever had it glow for more than 3 to 5 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
Yes, I was shocked at how quickly the GP light went off this past winter. (And I've already basically forgotten about the cold start pull handle since my B4 didn't have one...)
Same here, this is my first diesel and surprised even on single digit days, it fires up pretty darn quick.
VWJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 13:04   #8
ShickShackFarms

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

I thought they started pretty well when cold. When were in Germany for Christmas in 2010, we stayed with a family that a couple VW TDI's and they never even waited on the glow plugs and those darn little things started right up at 0 F. I know Duramax won't do that when that cold.
ShickShackFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:50   #9
Rico567
Veteran Member

I know they're standard in Canada, and NOT here in the U.S., but is the engine heater a dealer-installed option? That makes for a no-worries situation when cold starting.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:24   #10
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Coolant heater is dealer installed option...very pricey...$450+
Frostheater is twice the wattage, still around $140, the last time I checked.
The CKRA engine (2012>>>Passat TDI) warms so quickly, the heater isn't as necessary as previous gen TDIs. I've still got mine, with the necessary lower grill, sitting in a box in my garage.
Old May 9th, 2013, 16:19   #11
Rico567
Veteran Member

Guess I'll go with your experience- get the car, then decide after a Winter about the heater....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote