EGT Probe Placement

dzlgolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Ok finally got my egt gauge want to know where is the best place to put the egt probe i was thinking about putting it on the down pipe close to the turbo as possible. I have seen people drill the turbo housing and placing it on there if I were to drill the turbo where exactly on the turbo should i drill?

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
You don't want it in the downpipe (after the turbo). It's the temp of gas going into the turbo that you want to read.

Generally accepted location is right on the 2nd "R" in Garrett just before the turbo.

Examples:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
It all depends on your therm-coupling's threads.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Off topic, but are you using standard crimp connectors on your thermocouple wire?

I've heard you aren't supposed to mix the metal, but can't find any info which talks about terminating the ends at the gauge.

-Todd

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
yes, Its the way it came from Auber and they are mainly for cooking thermo products so they should have some idea as to what they are doing.