thermostat

ajcook5

TDI
2000 Jetta
My car doesn't heat up like it should. Temp never reaches 190 like it used to. I'm going to replace the thermostat and just wanted some recomendations on where to get/order one from?

Also my windshield washer no longer sprays fluid. Is it most likely the pump?

AJ

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I have a 2001 and replaced the t-stat a few years ago, doing the same thing. Running cold. I bought one from idparts, like 50bucks for oem. Been working fine since, but seems rather pricey. I think others have gotten good results with lower dollar tstats. When you swap it out, get a new tstat hose neck and oring too, the neck usually breaks the little tabs off and is not too expensive. And some g12 coolant and distilled water to top up coolant.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
on the washer fluid. being a 2001 good chance of hose problems, leak and or plug. does fluid bottle stay full? check for voltage at pump connection while someone runs switch. just recently replaced all my washer lines on the 2001 suburban. after having spliced hose 4 times last year for leaks just finally gave up and did all new hose.

dj7373

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (5 speed), 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I did this back in Nov. you should also replace the coolant temp sensor while you're in there, and it's worth the few extra bucks for the VW T-stat bc it clips onto the tabs in the goose neck and makes installation much easier.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Get Wahler or Behr one, almost no matter where from just matters what price for.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Behr is the OEM supplier.
Wahler is also a good brand.
Fitting with the locking tabs shouldn't be an issue: firstly, this is something you do only once for a long time. Secondly, there is a trick to fit it in there and it takes almost the same amount of time as fitting with the locking tabs. Also useful if you have the locking tabs broken.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Also my windshield washer no longer sprays fluid. Is it most likely the pump?

AJ
Listen for the pump when you activate it. Sprayers tend to get blocked, clean with needle. Unclip hoses at 2 holes where they go into bonnet and check whether hoses are open. Use compressed air to clean if needed. And yes, the pump could've failed, though I had only one pump failure past year.

tdiPhan

TDI
2000 Golf Auto
Dont mean to hijack your thread...but

Wondering if someone could wiegh in on this.

Did my thermostat last night and didnt realize that G12 was a special thing that local auto parts store doesnt have. Realized this after I had drained pink coolant and was going to add the stuff i bought back into the system, stuff i bought was green.

Came on here and saw you shouldnt mix them. So i flushed the system out with 10 gallons of water until the water draining from the petcock was running clear. Ran the car a few times and ran the heat during this process. Filled with green stuff.

Opon furthur reading and thinking today, i realized there was probably some pink coolant inside the engine that i didnt get out. Now im worried. I still have half a gallon of green and was thinking of just letting out some more green, and then adding what i have left.

Planning on switching back to pink eventually.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Flush the system several times with distilled water. Refill with proper G12(+++++?) mix.

tdiPhan

TDI
2000 Golf Auto
Im getting a TB done by a guru in a month. Will I be ok to run green stuff until then? Flush and switch back to G12/13 at that point?

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, I was always recommending to do a t-stat while doing the t-belt. Thermostats loose their efficiency and start opening early. This results in car running colder, less cabin heat, poor fuel economy. Thermostat costs something like $10. After about 100k miles the original unit is almost done. Doing it at the same time when t-belt will save lots of money on labor and coolant.

tdiPhan

TDI
2000 Golf Auto
I just bought the car and noticed it was running cool; so i decided to do the tstat now. Guru is busy and cant get to TB for a month. Realy pissed at myself for not looking into the coolant issue before starting the job.

I think im going to keep the green in until the tb is done. Fairly confident i got 99% of the pink out. The only place it could have been hiding is below the tstat in the engine.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Be sure to get all green out before going to G12/pink. I'd suggest running it only on distilled water for half an hour, the flush with distilled water again and run for some time (be sure the t-stat gets open) and only then refill with G12/pink stuff. Don't use tap water.

ajcook5

TDI
2000 Jetta
Listen for the pump when you activate it. Sprayers tend to get blocked, clean with needle. Unclip hoses at 2 holes where they go into bonnet and check whether hoses are open. Use compressed air to clean if needed. And yes, the pump could've failed, though I had only one pump failure past year.
Thing is I can't here the pump kick on anymore so I figured I'd replace it first since they don't cost much. I'll also clean the sprayers to.

As for the thermostat thanks for the advice. I'll probably get the behr gquenstedt posted about

ajcook5

TDI
2000 Jetta
I have a 2001 and replaced the t-stat a few years ago, doing the same thing. Running cold. I bought one from idparts, like 50bucks for oem. Been working fine since, but seems rather pricey. I think others have gotten good results with lower dollar tstats. When you swap it out, get a new tstat hose neck and oring too, the neck usually breaks the little tabs off and is not too expensive. And some g12 coolant and distilled water to top up coolant.
I did this back in Nov. you should also replace the coolant temp sensor while you're in there, and it's worth the few extra bucks for the VW T-stat bc it clips onto the tabs in the goose neck and makes installation much easier.

Where did you get the neck from?
Also where did you get the coolant temp sensor?

ajcook5

TDI
2000 Jetta

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
We can't see your shopping cart. Buy these parts from the vendor of your choice.

056121130D Thermostat
059121119 Seal
038121121 Thermostat housing
059919501A Coolant temp sensor
N90316802 O ring
032121142 Clip

ajcook5

TDI
2000 Jetta
We can't see your shopping cart. Buy these parts from the vendor of your choice.

056121130D Thermostat
059121119 Seal
038121121 Thermostat housing
059919501A Coolant temp sensor
N90316802 O ring
032121142 Clip

Sorry about that.

Thanks though that is a big help.