Trunk access from inside the car

omegis

TDI
'13 Passat
Recently needed to get inside my trunk from inside the car. No lever on the rear dash so I looked in the manual to see how to access the trunk from inside.

I've attached a picture of the page from the manual that discusses this but after 10 minutes of trying, I still cannot figure out how to make my rear seats fold down from inside the car. Worried about breaking my key trying to do what's in the manual.

Anyone know how to do this properly or is it a lost cause?

Thanks

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
That's what that is for. I thought it seemed strange that the only way to drop the rear seats is to pull the release inside the trunk.

X2 on the screwdriver. I'd rather not chance breaking the key.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Yeah, I probably spent 15 minutes the first time trying to do it before walking around to the back and giving up haha. German engineering makes sense when being created!

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I think I would just try to reach the release inside the truck from the pass through. Does the SE include the pass through?

omegis

TDI
'13 Passat
Figured it out. Owner's manual isn't descriptive enough.

As mentioned, screwdriver would be a better choice than key.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't supposed to be too easy, it is an emergency way into the trunk area after all. It also needs to be secured when in valet mode. Pretty simple I think. Once you do it once.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
What's wrong with a simple lever like all my other cars have had? When I pull the handle I still have to go to the back seat and pull the seat back down with my hand! Also, I think those trunk pulls are going to get bashed at some point when I'm loading stuff into the trunk. I think in this case VW has made something simple into something complicated to make it appear "upscale".

Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man... :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For normal use the lever in the trunk works perfectly fine and is the usual method. If there is an issue getting into the trunk, the emergency method may be used. The emergency method has a lock out for valet operation. What is so difficult in popping the cover and working the slide? I tried it last night and was in, in seconds. It is different but not difficult and it is covered and hidden to some extent.