www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 24th, 2013, 04:01   #1
biged681985

TDI(s): 05 passat
Fuel Economy: 37.7
Default 05 passat fuel economy questions

i just purchased an 05 passat with 191k on it all stock. i have a back ground of working for several diesel shops working on diesel pickups but im a rookie at the vw diesels. im wanting to get the best economy i cant. so far i have two fill ups of 37 mpg. not bad compaired to what im used to driving. but im sure i can do several things to help fuel milage. i plan on cutting the cat and muffler out of it and putting a twister muffler on it to keep it from droning. i was also thinking of deleting the egr and cooler. i know it helps in the bigger motors but not sure if it does in these little tdi motors and if it requires a programmer to do it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
biged681985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:21   #2
thundershorts
Veteran Member

I don't think you will improve much on your mpg. Cat delete sure won't help you at all, nor the egr. you may be best off with new air and fuel filters, using the best oil, and doing a trans service, and possibly some sort of tire upgrade. Some say the bs delete will add a mpg or two. In any event, if you've followed this forum, its imperative to address the bs issue before your mpg is reduced to zero.
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:55   #3
biged681985

ive not followed this forum for long. i signed up three weeks ago and was not approved because i put looking for my vehicle. so i re signed up this past week after i had bought my car.

that being said, i have no clue what your talking about with the bs issue.
biged681985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:37   #4
crankme69
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 Passat

Warning anything related to emissions is off limits here...don't ask.

Everything you mentioned I did to my older Passat but my vehicle and your 2005 are 2 totally different vehicles.
crankme69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:31   #5
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

Remove the auto tranny for a manual. I've gained 6mpg.

2005 Passat BHW Variant w/01E 6 gang
Uberhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:19   #6
thundershorts
Veteran Member

bs= balance shaft module. you will find a good start on reading the sticky by that title at top of the b5 page.
Old March 24th, 2013, 21:32   #7
biged681985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
that is something i will be doing in the future. but cant afford to right now.
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:31   #8
thundershorts
Veteran Member

The bs chain on yours can take out the engine with no warning, and the delete parts are not expensive. quite a few owners put off fixing it and found it caused extensive damage when it failed.
Old March 25th, 2013, 18:44   #9
outthere
Veteran Member

I've found the mileage doesnt vary materially no matter what. +/- 2 or 3 mpg doesnt make a difference when you calc the gas savings vs. the time and $$ the mods require. the good news is 65 or 80 mph doesnt matter much either. Just drive and enjoy. I've had the car since new, 9 years of driving.

You will chew up CV boots - start saving your pennies and/or Saturday afternoons for fixing those.
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 19:21   #10
peiphil
Veteran Member

What does a CV boot taste like? LOL
These cars dont get the milage like a jetta does.
But its worth it.
And get rid of the BSM chain and get the gear driven BSM for $1360 and some wrench pulling.
Not that bad of a job

Last edited by peiphil; March 25th, 2013 at 19:29.
peiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 20:22   #11
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26 - 58 mpg

Besides being against the rules, deleting the EGR can make MPG worse depending on how and when the car is driven. The cat and muffler are also oversized enough that removal gains you no power or MPG on stock to moderately modified engine. Only gains would be when the cat has become plugged.

37 is not too bad on this generation Passat. I second the recommendation to inspect for and replace the balance shaft/oil pump drive chain, if it is still there. The updated BSM is a gear drive unit. I don't know if the BSM delete drives the oil pump with chain or gear.

Raxles axles makes good replacement cv half shafts at a good price and life time guaranty, last I checked. I think they enlarged the boots so the don't rub the cv ball cages. That was the excuse I got as to why the Passat cv boots fail so regularly.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:41   #12
newlitemotorist
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
After all of my reading I think this is the only way to really gain anything on these cars. I have owned my passat wagon for almost a month and it consistantly gets 29 in the city and around 42 on the highway. City driving is what kills the mpgs on my car at least. If I watch the mpg gauge, I have noticed that the first 3 gears just suck the fuel. Once it shifts into fourth my mpgs jump substantially. I have read that this has to do with the torque converter. I guess once in 4th the tc locks up.

The only other thing I have seen that actually provides a return is to run light weight wheels/tires that are tall and skinny. Also, stay away from the aggressive tread tires and you might even check out the low friction Michelin's.
newlitemotorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:04   #13
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

I'm always at 30ish in town and 40ish higway. That's about the best you'll get without converting to manual (which is on my list). These aren't light cars so don't expect much in town. You're not ever gonna see 49mpg highway like a B4. Also you'll most likely never see as low as 35 highway like a 2005 MB diesel either. It's all about weight...

Last edited by 50harleyrider; March 26th, 2013 at 07:10.
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 18:48   #14
Uberhare
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

I was consistently getting about 33mpg before the swap, now I get 37-40 depending on outside temperature.

It seems the car burns a lot of fuel to heat up. If the car is pre warmed, even half way to operating temp - I can get well over 40mpg. When the outside temp drops below -10 Celsius, even after being warmed up - mileage drops 3-4 mpg.

2005 Passat BHW Variant w/01E 6 gang
Uberhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 21:49   #15
biged681985

Quote:
Originally Posted by peiphil View Post
What does a CV boot taste like? LOL
These cars dont get the milage like a jetta does.
But its worth it.
And get rid of the BSM chain and get the gear driven BSM for $1360 and some wrench pulling.
Not that bad of a job
Where are you finding it for $1360?