www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 31st, 2013, 12:29   #31
Jayg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Most adults are not happy sitting behind another adult in a A4 platform VW. The rear seat is very small. I'm short and have spent an extraordinary amount of my life in coach airline seats but I still find the rear seat in my wagon on the snug side. And my kids complained bitterly once they got to their full height, and we're smaller than average these days. It's not width as much as head and legroom.

I have seen people trade MKVI Jettas for Passats because they "outgrew" them on here and it just kills me!
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:43   #32
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

That I agree doesn't make a lot of sense unless they have other reasons. The current Jetta is larger on most dimensions than my '97 Passat.
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:18   #33
cfm56
Veteran Member

passat is hands down a nicer vehicle and not that much more to where its a night and day diff price wise. For the ride, mpg, size, suspension, design (in n out), the 3k more is worth it.
cfm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 18:56   #34
dknj

TDI(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laymaster View Post

Will there be any upgrades or advantages to waiting for the 2014 model and will it come in late spring such as the salesman said?
Is anyone able to answer this original question? and know when someone will still be able to order a 2013 until?
dknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:00   #35
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayg View Post
I don't get this outgrew it argument. If you go from a Jetta to a Minivan because you have so many kids....ok then. But to go from a Jetta to a Passat to get the extra inch between people in the back seat....? That doesn't make sense to me. It just seems like trying to justify getting the Passat. If you like it more then get it but honestly I've driven both and room difference isn't enough to justify the thousands of dollars difference between the two cars.

I'm pretty sure that you are confused or just trying to be charming, as anyone that has sat in an NMS Passat knows that with the drivers seat all the way back provides alot more than a one inch improvement over a MKV Jetta.

As much as I feel like I am wasting my time responding to your snide comment, I felt it was worth the time to let you know that I can now leave the drivers seat in the full back position (normal for me) and have a person ride in the seat behind me, something I was absolutley not able to do in the Jetta. I'll leave it to you to look up the rear seat leg room specs.

Funny you state that you have driven both and cant justify the added expense. Do you drive with the seat all the way back? Have you tried to sit in the back seat of a Jetta with the drivers seat all the way back? I'll guess you havent.

FWIW, my teenage daughter (5'7") just commented last week how much she loved all the extra room in the Passat.

psd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:40   #36
APT
Veteran Member

I'm tall, 3 younger kids. The Passat is the smallest vehicle I considered. The more rear seat room the better!

But if you are average to shorter height, no kids, I can understand how that is not important.

Also, the packages/trim levels are more restricted in the Passat than the Jetta.

Last edited by APT; April 3rd, 2013 at 09:42.
APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:08   #37
VWJayhawk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknj View Post
Is anyone able to answer this original question? and know when someone will still be able to order a 2013 until?
I would think by the end of the month we would know what changes might come in 2014. I think we are too far along for any major changes at this point (simply because of time to implement).

I think you generally have until mid May to order a new car, as the last productions happen late June or early July (this was Audi's story anyways, so assume it is the same or close).
VWJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:30   #38
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

I'm also looking for more room as when my toddler is in the booster seat it is not very comfortable for her unless I push the passenger seat all the way forward.
inthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:46   #39
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

If I had to choose between the two sedans, I would go for the Passat. The Jetta is just too dumbed down for me. I've had both in gassers for rentals and prefer the Passat.

Open the search wider and I'd get another sportswagen. I (6'1") have riden in the back seat of the JSW and the Golf when my daughter (5'1") or wife (5'5") is driving and it's not too bad. My daughter usually sits behind me when I'm driving on road trips because my wife likes to have her seat reclined.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:47   #40
APT
Veteran Member

2012 ordering cutoff was mid May, and first 2014's hit dealer lots 2nd week of July. 2014 Content was known prior to close of ordering a 2012. Who knows if the same will be true for 2014.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 13:11   #41
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknj View Post
I'm happy to speculate. VW has a history of "decontenting" models as the years go on - they already did that between 2012 and 2013. The lower trim Passats will probably end up with fewer features for the same price, and the high trim Passats will increase in price for 2014.

So my advice is to go back in time and buy a 2012.
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:55   #42
TDI2000Zim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47.2 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayg View Post
I have seen people trade MKVI Jettas for Passats because they "outgrew" them on here and it just kills me!
I did outgrow my grungy 2000 TDi Beetle, because in those 12 years I went over 50.

You get tired of seeing idiots with bigger cars cut in front of you because you are driving the smaller Bug (though roomy inside), especially the SUV Trash.

Particularly here in the Northeast, people have hate issues toward VW Bugs.

BTW, the new Bug is shaped like a Pinto...
TDI2000Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 21:37   #43
Rower

TDI(s): passat 2005

Had couple Jettas before I got Passat. Passat has more smooth and comfortable ride. Like it.
Rower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 23:10   #44
raptor2TDI

i jumped into a passat because the interior was slightly nicer and it seemed to get slightly better mpg. It is also nice having a slightly larger car. So far so good, im actually enjoying it (thought this was going to be another "bought a hybrid, sold a hybrid 2 months later" story again)
raptor2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 23:55   #45
wild_phil

TDI(s): None yet
Fuel Economy: 43.9 on my first tank

0% VW financing????? Oh I am calling my dealer tomorrow or Friday about all this.

Learning about TDI's.
wild_phil is offline   Reply With Quote