www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old May 24th, 2013, 04:08   #31
waltzconmigo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

thanks for the update rotary. had not heard this passed yet.
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:45   #32
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Much of Utah has been 80mph for years, now they are just extending to all the interstates (except in the big cities). There was no appreciable increase in accidents or deaths in the stretches of highway with the 80mph speed limits.

As for Nevada, there used to be no speed limits until the 55mph National speed limit was imposed way back when. Until the 70s the speed limit was "safe and reasonable". What was "safe and reasonable" depended a lot on what you were driving. It might be 65mph in an old air cooled VW or 130mph in a Porsche 911.

We shall see what happens. In much of rural Nevada (which is most of the state), you can see 5 miles ahead and the roads are arrow straight. There is nothing for a police car to hide behind. I know a guy (with a CR JSW) who routinely sets his cruise control for 115 and drives for hours. He won't tell me what mileage he gets when he does that.

Have Fun!

Don
The Nevada law allowing 85 has died as of last week, oh well maybe Utah posting many miles at 80 will push surrounding states to join in....
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:20   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

80 is a good place to be for now. Other states will follow suit shortly after they see that traffic accidents don't spike.
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:20   #34
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
80 is a good place to be for now. Other states will follow suit shortly after they see that traffic accidents don't spike.
Colorado discussed a maximum of 85, it was in a toll bill a few years back, as well as Arizona has at least once before a few years back. Last year Wyoming debated allowing 80 but the bill died.

Have you clocked many miles in this part of US??

In my experience in most western states ( Kansas excluded a speed trap from one end to the other!!) as long as you stay below ~85 on rural freeways and ~75 on two lane highways you will not be bothered. I have many times been in groups on the planes of CO @ ~85+ set on the cruise for hours at a time on I-70, I-76 and I-25, a CoHP was in the group more than once.

Across most of the west in good weather during the day you can set the cruise @ 83-to just under 85 for hours at a time. In WY, MT, NV, & AZ just under 85 will not get you noticed. In some of NV, in most of CO, UT and CA you can set it ~85 or a little higher.

AS long as you don't speed above ~90 or as long as you don't follow too close, fail to signal lane changes or block the left lane across most of the miles no one from law enforcement will bother you. They will pull you over in a second for doing any of the above at speed, in CO at least they set up traps on bridges not for speed but for following too close verified by laser.

There was on local new last year while the CoHP officer was being interviewed it showed him clocking traffic on I-25 north of Denver looking for following too close. The radar showed passing cars running as high as 88-90 mph on the police radar but not being pulled over because they were traveling that fast in safe manner! They will however not tolerate anyone blocking the left lane! It is the law in most of the west today "Keep Right Except to Pass" on freeways posted above 60 mph. I have an ex that was pulled over and scolded once for staying in the left lane too long on east bound I-70 one time.

I have been passed traveling in the low 80s in at least three western states by the local HP just cruising above 85 more times than I can recall.......

It would be nice at least once in my life have the posted limit mean something, be close to or where it should be posted in the states I drive across. That is for at least one of the states I have to drive to actually have the posted at a limit matches the safe and comfortable real 85th percentile speed it would be nice!!......
Old June 10th, 2013, 20:57   #35
jlkilpatrick

We have 85 mph posted highways here in Texas what isn't 85 is usually 80 across the state with a few exceptions.An interesting point was when the removed all the reduced night speed limits of 65 mph the State troopers quit the highway speed traps. Simply because most drivers stuck to the 80 or 85 mph limits. On my many trips to Houston from West Texas many drivers drive a little slower to conserve on high fuel prices. Deer of course are always killed at night by the big rigs that also are driving 80+ speeds other than that accidents have not changed dramatically.

Last edited by jlkilpatrick; June 10th, 2013 at 20:58. Reason: spelling error
jlkilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 21:38   #36
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Thumbs up hurrah, looks like we may get a 75 maximum on the books in NC as soon as next week

It looks like the 75 limit bill in NC is likely to pass the house later this week without much opposition. We could have areas posted @ 75 in NC as soon as safety studies are finished.

Update 6/19/2013:
After looking like we were going to get a vote today at the last minute they postponed until Thursday when a group in the house voices opposition to the increase. My guess is that the supporters of the increase were uncertain of how the vote would go so didn't want to risk loosing. I gurantee the bill supporters are getting all of their ducks in a row with enough support to pass before they vote Thursday. The same garbage spewing groups that pushed to block the passage of 70 in ILL a few weeks ago are mounting a effort to block this!!

If you live in NC it might be a good idea to call your representative to voice support for the increase..

Last edited by rotarykid; June 19th, 2013 at 16:30.
rotarykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 15:12   #37
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

The speed limit on the I-495 express lanes on the west side of the DC beltway is going up to 65 MPH on June 24th.
Old June 19th, 2013, 15:14   #38
bibendum
Veteran Member

About time. Everyone goes 75 anyway
bibendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 15:30   #39
nexus665
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
We shall see what happens. In much of rural Nevada (which is most of the state), you can see 5 miles ahead and the roads are arrow straight. There is nothing for a police car to hide behind. I know a guy (with a CR JSW) who routinely sets his cruise control for 115 and drives for hours. He won't tell me what mileage he gets when he does that.
Have Fun!
Don
Hi Don,
not sure how mileage in NV compares to over here - anyway, here goes: we have a 130 kph (about 82 mph) posted speed limit here in Austria, neighboring Germany has (stretches of, not everywhere) unlimited speed limits on the Autobahns.

At or near the speed limit (about 140kph on the speedo, which is about 133-135 kph real speed via GPS) I get about 5-5.5 liters/100km, which equates to about 43-47,5 mpg. This is using a 2002 Golf 4 ALH TDI.

At about 180 kph (112.5 mph) on the german Autobahn, I get about 7-7,5l/100km, which is about 31.5-34 mpg, at 200 kph (125 mph) I need about 9l/100km, which is about 26.5 mpg. Wind resistance rises drastically at higher speeds.

This is using a .7 5th gear and cruise control at night without traffic, so could be equated with empty straight NV roads (albeit a lot cooler as far as ambient temps go ), with the original gearing it would use at least a liter/100km more. In traffic with frequent braking etc, you could a) not hold this average speed and b) would use a lot more fuel.

HTH
Old June 19th, 2013, 16:24   #40
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus665 View Post
Hi Don,
not sure how mileage in NV compares to over here - anyway, here goes: we have a 130 kph (about 82 mph) posted speed limit here in Austria, neighboring Germany has (stretches of, not everywhere) unlimited speed limits on the Autobahns.

At or near the speed limit (about 140kph on the speedo, which is about 133-135 kph real speed via GPS) I get about 5-5.5 liters/100km, which equates to about 43-47,5 mpg. This is using a 2002 Golf 4 ALH TDI.

At about 180 kph (112.5 mph) on the german Autobahn, I get about 7-7,5l/100km, which is about 31.5-34 mpg, at 200 kph (125 mph) I need about 9l/100km, which is about 26.5 mpg. Wind resistance rises drastically at higher speeds.

This is using a .7 5th gear and cruise control at night without traffic, so could be equated with empty straight NV roads (albeit a lot cooler as far as ambient temps go ), with the original gearing it would use at least a liter/100km more. In traffic with frequent braking etc, you could a) not hold this average speed and b) would use a lot more fuel.

HTH
What is the average elevation where you drive?? Nevada, Utah and Colorado are pretty high up, a lot of it is above 5,000 ft with some 8,000-9,000 ft.
Old June 19th, 2013, 17:13   #41
nexus665
Veteran Member

Hi, true - elevation here varies along the way, obviously, but is 200-1000m ASL along the route I usually take, so about 650ft - 3300ft, about, not very high up.

Forced aspiration offsets elevation to some degree (while loading the turbo more), but obviously it takes away some fuel efficiency.

Regards
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:42   #42
Jacob G
Veteran Member

Kinda off current trend of topic... I would think that if roads were better taken care of highways/freeways not just in utah could raise speed limits, perfect example would be Europe. I lived in Germany for 4 years and the roads were awesome, they still had speed limits in many places but.... I loved the autobahn. I also understand a lot has to do with climate... But still. Coming home to the states 90 wasn't the norm anymore. Anyway I'm done rambling... Just adding a thought.
Jacob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 16:52   #43
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Angry The safety mafia wins again in NC and rest of us loose again!

In the NC house the safety ^$%$%&^ seem to have been successful in blocking a tightly controlled increase to 75 as the maximum..........

The best it looks like we might get is 4 test sections proposed for allowing the increase, under the control of a legislative committee. So don't hold your breath of them ever allowing 75 to be posted in NC under this arrangement, which is exactly what the safety mafia/( you can give these closed minded groups whatever name you wish!) wanted all along!!!

There are hundreds of miles across NC, thousands of miles across the entire south that could easily and safely be posted @ 80 today but insurance companies would loose billions......And they will never ever stop fighting with their cooked up data claiming that allowing higher legal speeds on highways designed to handle these speeds will lead to more deaths.

We now have over 7 decades of data that says otherwise, we have real data collected in states that have allowed increased speeds safely on two lane roads( up to 75 mph ) and freeways( up to 85 ) since the ending of the NMSL.....

update; safety (**()__ won defeating the bill.....No chance for a increase again until 2015.

Last edited by rotarykid; June 27th, 2013 at 19:28.
rotarykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 19:16   #44
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Is this really necessary? I understand you're mad and all... but come on.
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:25   #45
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Arrow a letter to CDOT worked to get the limit raised on a rebuilt section of US 285

IN the Denver metro area they rebuilt a ~8 mile stretch of US 285 (Hampden Ave) about 2 years ago. They kept the limit after the rebuild @ 45 for the first couple of miles and ~6 miles @ 55 which from the daily enforcement activity seemed far too low. About ~10 months ago I driving across town on this stretch of freeway noticing that there were 10 officers with drivers pulled over in the area still marked @ 45, a ~2 mile stretch which was at least 10 mph below what it should be.

A little background, CDOT had over the last 7-10 years had set a precedent of doing speed studies on several roads & freeways that had been updated with safety improvements and extra lanes added to determine what the limit should now be. After much public pressure to obey the law and post the speed that matched the current 85th percentile speed CDOT went against several local cities(Denver included) and began to post the limit @ what collected speed and safety data showed it should be.

In late 2011 the limit was raised to 55 on a rebuilt section of US 85 that had for ~15 years been a speed trap while posted @ 45. After three speed studies in mid 2008, 2009 & 2010 that showed that the road could safely handle 55 the 4 cities along the stretch that had made a fortune in speed traps put up a fight that lasted over three years. CDOT finally got tired of fighting with the cities along the stretch and just stated it was safe to raise the posted limit 55 so they did just that.

The above fight that lasted close to 4 years was with plenty of local municipalities pushing back(screaming bloody murder!!) in the name of safety. All claiming that there would be carnage that would ensue from a higher limit being posted around the metro area, proved wrong in every case around the state that has received higher posted limits. Now that CDOT has over a decade of data stating that posting higher limits within cities that match real world speeds even in the center of the cities on these roads has made travel safer. This has painted a clear picture of the real reasons they are still fighting higher posted limits, it is now the plainest to see that the opposing of higher limits was always and really is today about the lost ticket $$$$$!!! The effect of the above fight has been the limit being raised on several simi controlled access multilane highways all across the state, from 45 to 55 & 65.

It was in the above light that I contacted CDOT by letter with a request for a speed study on the entire ~8 mile stretch of US 285 that had been rebuilt but still had limits from before. I emailed a copy of the letter I sent to the state to the state DOT office that handles speed studies when I sent the letter. I got a response a couple of days later from the head of division, in the letter it was stated that a speed study would be done as soon as possible.

Fast forward to the beginning of last week; last sunday I driving on the section that was the 45 mph posted section when I noticed that it had been raised to 55!. Then yesterday I was on the freeway section of the road that was still 55 last weekend when I noticed that it had been raised to 65!. So after my request for a speed study all of the sections that were rebuilt have been raised!! The 45 sections are now 55 and the previous sections that were 55 are now posted @ 65.

This may not work in every state but at least today in Colorado if there is a valid reason for the limit to be raised they do it today. Even with the cities along these stretches claiming it's not safe we know today that the state DOT had speed studies with safety data stating higher limits could be safely posted. With these facts brought to light it is now clear for all to see that the objections of local municipalities were always about keeping the speed traps they have run for years making tons of money off of drivers doing nothing unsafe!!