www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 10th, 2013, 15:55   #31
MonsterDog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Attn: Dozenspeed!

I want you to know that Tom won't stop singing 'Happy Happy Hippo. Happy Happy Hippo'. 3 days later and he still won't shut up! This is entirely your fault!

However they were really yummy

Amy.
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:57   #32
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: $10,457 per TB change

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I'm splitting up the thread... time for volume 2!

3... 2... 1... GO!
We broke the internet with popularity within 1 year!

Quote:
I copied the summary posts from the v1 thread to the top of this thread.
Thanks. Kind of nice having both parts together. I made alterations to work with the new thread continuity.

Quote:
Congrats, dozenspeed - you are the new thread owner.
Heavy. I'll do my best to take too much pride in that honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza91 View Post
I think a requiem for the old thread is in order.
I think this might be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTDI09 View Post
Question Who had the most post on the last thread?
Quote:
Regarding who posted in the previous thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/misc.php?d...osted&t=348842
Well that's a little embarrassing...

Quote:
For the new thread can we please try to keep the pictures size to no more than 800x600.?
Quote:
800x600: YES PLEASE!

Also, I'd like to add to that and request that anyone who quotes a post, please remove the image tags if that post contains a picture. This will save the server from having to load tons of quoted pictures. Don't worry, the picture URL will still show up and you can click on it if you'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
I agree in part. I have seen folks quote a post with the maximum number of pictures, then say, "Right on" or some such.

But there are times when quoting with the picture works best.
I am VERY much with whitedog on this. Can we allow occassional and responsible picture quoting? It is good to address server load concerns and we can all help out by being mindfull of this and make efforts to remove img tags, or delete the pics from your quotes entirely (as I often do), or at least all but one of the pics within a quote. Occasional or retro picture quotes really help illustrate reference to the current topic, I vote to keep that thread commodity, please. I would be willing to denote a policy in the rules that anyone who picture quotes excessively is subject to being edited by moderator. (But that's more work for you VeeDub )

I've been posting 900 by "X" pictures I'm proud of, figuring 1000 was about the limit for everyone's format, yada yada. If my 900 pixel pics have been setting off the side scroll bar on your computer, I sincerely apologize for being annoying.

If we can allow up to 1000 pixels wide and everything is hunky-dorey with everyone, I think you should allow that for folks who wish to "high-def" it up some. If we must make the threshold 800, that is most suitable too.

Quote:
The one I have been to cost 20 bucks.Ok let move on.
Sorry you didn't get your pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterDog View Post
Attn: Dozenspeed!

I want you to know that Tom won't stop singing 'Happy Happy Hippo. Happy Happy Hippo'. 3 days later and he still won't shut up! This is entirely your fault!

However they were really yummy

Amy.
Awesome! I'm imagining to the tune of the Ren & Stimpy classic, "Happy Happy Joy Joy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng3 View Post
Cool, then Next Challenge #654: Your TDI within 10ft of a sign welcoming you to a "something town", china-town etc.
I tried for you, buddy, only thing we really have I know of is called "Dutchtown" a name which was derived from "Deutsch Town" (as in Germans) mangled by Americans ad not actually Dutch people. It's an almost 200-year-old neighborhood community within the St. Louis City limits, and I think there is a welcome sign somewhere but I couldn't find it. I tried a pic of a sign that read "You are in Dutchtown" at their chamber of commerece, in case I could schmooze that as a win with a couple additional candy pics, but it didn't turn out.

Ann naow foar my fynoll thawght:

I mentioned the alterations to the CHLs. I hope everyone approves of the changes, finds the links and new legends clear and useful, and hope the winner count addition is of interest. Handy for finding someone's first win too. The new arrangement also makes links in my sig unnecessary.

Current Challenge: (#654) Your TDI within 10ft of a sign welcoming you to a "something town", china-town etc.

Do you have a MK6 Jetta SEDAN? (2011-2015) Contribute to our mileage thread here! Over 70 cars and 3.5 million miles of data!
Dozenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:12   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Occasional image quoting is not an issue if it makes sense to do so. However, it tends to get out of hand very quickly, with multiple people quoting the same image over and over. So yes, my request is that you use links rather than pictures, but it is by no means an end-all be-all.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:35   #34
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Dozenspeed your pictures in HD are very nice.Yes the scroll bar is annoying.Another problem I run into,was storage of the pictures on the TDI picture server that why I try to keep 800x600.I was using 1280x960 that was eating away to much space.I think when we run into problems of pictures are to large is when people post using the smart phone.Is there away to adj the pixel setting.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:38   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I use Tapatalk's image hosting when I'm on my smart phone. It gives you the option to choose what size you want for the uploaded image and it's super easy. I think I paid an extra couple bucks for unlimited storage on their server - worth every penny - hopefully the pics stick around for a while.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 16:53   #36
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

I post photos with a max dimension of 750 pixels wide
Old March 11th, 2013, 16:57   #37
arne487
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62.4 max, 53 avg

Current Challenge: (#654) Your TDI within 10ft of a sign welcoming you to a "something town", china-town etc.

Nobody artsy enough to make a sign?
arne487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 17:19   #38
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: $10,457 per TB change

Quote:
Dozenspeed your pictures in HD are very nice.Yes the scroll bar is annoying.Another problem I run into,was storage of the pictures on the TDI picture server that why I try to keep 800x600.I was using 1280x960 that was eating away to much space.I think when we run into problems of pictures are to large is when people post using the smart phone.Is there away to adj the pixel setting.
I had no idea my 900s were doing that, sorry everyone. 800s from now on it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
I post photos with a max dimension of 750 pixels wide
You mean you USED to post pictures with........

Do you have a MK6 Jetta SEDAN? (2011-2015) Contribute to our mileage thread here! Over 70 cars and 3.5 million miles of data!
Dozenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 17:42   #39
ELM
Veteran Member

I didn't know about the picture sizing should be 800. Now I know why my picture storage was full so soon. I guess this OLD dog learned something new today
ELM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:45   #40
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozenspeed View Post
Yup, life got complicated and busy so I spend my time off the road when I can. Trying to keep blood pressure down for someone my age.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:46   #41
CrazyWJ242
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 11-40 MPG

my town would have a sign that said relocated town to alberta lol...
how long to a new challenge?

Sent From My Cellular Telephone... so excuse autocorrect.

CrazyWJ242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:52   #42
arne487
Veteran Member

About 9 hours before the challenge expires.

However! I found a sign that says "Welcome to Old Town Fort Collins Historic District" so I'm going for a drive to see how close I can get (it's in a pedestrian only area).

Old March 12th, 2013, 18:27   #43
arne487
Veteran Member

No go. Couldn't get close enough that the sign could be read.
Old March 12th, 2013, 19:29   #44
shrifty
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Around 45 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne487 View Post
No go. Couldn't get close enough that the sign could be read.
At least you tried. That's more than I could do on this one.

ng3 -- Do you have a challenge in mind, or can I HIJACK it?

Last edited by shrifty; March 12th, 2013 at 19:52.
shrifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 20:08   #45
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozenspeed View Post
Oh, I won't argue. You'd be surprised of how much work (well your work helps you with these challenges) can take out of you, if you remember where I work, especially since we're launched stuff today. Couple that with the 7500 photos I had to go through for my vacation, skipping time lapse and panoramas that I have not finished (~1/4 of the photos, 80% of the time), of which I narrowed it down to about 550 show worthy. My pride and joy being a B&W from Venice.

My server has been down for 3+ months and I haven't touched that at all. I need to spend an entire weekend rebuilding it and transferring data to new HDDs. Obviously that's been low on the priority list too.

Tonight I'm somewhat free so I'm looking forward to a new challenge that is reasonably simple to do cause I want to take a few pics and have some fun