rumbling when clutch pressed

justb21888

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 5spd and have been noticing on a complete cold start (like sitting overnight) when I push in the clutch there seems to be extra noise coming from the transmission area. Sounds kind of like a rumbling (if you have ever had nosey tires or bad wheel bearing) after it gets warm the noise completely goes away. It seems pregressively worse the colder it is outside on a cold start. Again once its warm i don't hear it anymore. Any ideas what to look at hear? Throwout bearing? DMF? or just not worry with it? thanks in advanced

justb21888

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
oh and I have NOT been feeling anything abnormal in the clutch pedal or in the car itself. Everything feels normal..

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Can you post a video...i would definitely find out what is at the cause....letting things go (by not worrying about it) can also leave you stranded at the most inconveniant time

Blitz2120

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Not cool, mine did the same thing and, well read my other post...

Could be unrelated 100%, but I too noticed this during cold starts.

justb21888

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Blitz, so yours was noises when you pushed the clutch too? I couldn't really hear mine unless the window or door was open. Similar exp? Thanks for your input.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
To me that doesn't really sound like a DMF failing. It almost sounds like the clutch isn't engaging all the way.

Have you checked your brake fluid level? The clutch uses the brake fluid to operate.

How many miles on the car?
Have you noticed the clutch slipping at all?
Is that trans hard to shift?
Is there a noticeable difference between shifting with the engine running, and shifting without it running?

Just a few questions to help us understand this completely.

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
When the DMF in my 05 MK IV went it was different than that, I can barely hear yours? Maybe a throughout bearing? But, I am just guessing as I can not really hear it?

justb21888

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I know it is faint I actually had my phone under the car while I took it. Sorry it was dark out that's why no picture. I just rolled over 140k. The fluid is up to the full mark on the brake reservoir. It the sound would be while the clutch is disengaged while cold. So maybe it's not disengaging the whole way or it is the throwout bearing or maybe the pressure plate? It does seem a bit stiff to shift while cold but I've driven ford pickups with manuals for 10 years and they are all like that cold so don't really know??? Lol Doesn't really seem any different with engine off. Was thinking about bleeding the lines. I have bled the brake lines over a year ago but never the clutch. How do I do that? Is there a fitting on top of the trans?

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Follow the line to the slave on top of the trans you will see a nipple sticking out. I use a pressure bleeder when I do it, but, can be done the old fashoned way as well.